Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 09:57 AM

3,148 posts, read 2,713,980 times

Advertisements

Put it in the SP500 and forget you even have it.

You'll be glad you did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 11:00 AM

7 posts, read 10,906 times
First of all I'd like to thank everyone for the advice thus far it has helped a lot. I can not yet give a full response because there are some term I am not 100% knowledgeable about. I want to research everything so I can make an educated response. I have a side question to this now though . I have been dating my girlfriend for a year and a half next month. Should I tell her about this money? If so, why? If not, why?

Also if it matters I have a 3.00 GPA out 4.00

Thanks again

Old 05-26-2014, 12:13 PM

24,350 posts, read 26,795,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocluestill View Post
First of all I'd like to thank everyone for the advice thus far it has helped a lot. I can not yet give a full response because there are some term I am not 100% knowledgeable about. I want to research everything so I can make an educated response. I have a side question to this now though . I have been dating my girlfriend for a year and a half next month. Should I tell her about this money? If so, why? If not, why?

Thanks again
GPA doesn't matter, there have been plenty of self-made millionaires and billionaires who dropped out of college (don't do that lol, but I'm just saying you don't need a 4.0 to invest).

As far as telling your GF... it's up to you. If you're GF comes from a poor family I wouldn't tell her now, but it depends. $100k to some people is no big deal where others think $100k makes them rich. I generally don't go ij detaila about my finances with my GF or any of my exes.

Old 05-26-2014, 02:05 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,102,750 times
The best advice I ever about investment was simply to put your money into things that YOU fully understand. For folks with the time to learn about more complicated investments they can often get superior returns but for MOST people this advice will lead them to toward SIMPLE INVESTMENTS like ETFs that cover the whole market or broad sectors. For a full time student that ought to be fine!

When it comes to money and relationships the smartest strategy is to keep MOST of this info to yourself until / unless you have evidence of BOTH shared values about money AND a commitment to each other. The range of issues that will contribute to these shared values is quite broad and includes everything from what is an appropriate amount to spend on food / housing / transportation to entertainment and longterm goals vs short term gratification.

Old 05-26-2014, 03:14 PM

795 posts, read 1,264,637 times
Quote:

Thanks again
GF: I would give her this: "I have no debt and some savings", if she asked. I would not run out and say "I have 100k!" Most important thing is to ensure she is on the same level as you far as how she handles her cash.

I agree with the others on the money... invest some and keep some for emergency fund and look into the future and see if you have purchases coming down the pike. I like to say that money invested is money that I won't immediately feel if it is "gone". 50k invested in something that tracks the 500 will look good when you get 60... if everything goes as planned.

Old 05-26-2014, 03:40 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,979,791 times
Quote:

Thanks again
Google the Motley Fool or go to the website Fool.com: Stock Investing Advice | Stock Research - and read! You shouldn't be getting stock advice in here or taking these folks opinions too seriously since you don't know their intentions.

You can start with the 13 steps:
http://www.fool.com/how-to-invest/th...ltnvsnv0000001

As far as the girlfriend, or any of your friends. Keep it to yourself. Unless you are willing to share it, don't discuss it with anyone.

Congratulations!

Old 05-26-2014, 06:17 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,549,770 times
Quote:
I have been dating my girlfriend for a year and a half next month. Should I tell her about this money? If so, why? If not, why?
yes, definitely tell the girlfriend. then tell her that you want her to bring a friend into bed with you two.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:09 PM

795 posts, read 1,264,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
yes, definitely tell the girlfriend. then tell her that you want her to bring a friend into bed with you two.
I can see it now... captainnj, the girlfriend... and the girlfriend's friend... Steve. The 100k movie. In HD.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:29 PM

24,350 posts, read 26,795,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
Hahaha! That would be some expensive poontang!

Old 05-26-2014, 07:56 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,772,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Hahaha! That would be some expensive poontang!
Nothing was ever said about "giving" any to any of them. People seem to go crazy over the possibility of just being close to money sometimes.

In reality, I wouldn't bring it up unless you got serious. A relationship based on the fact that you have money is a relationship that will end once you're out of money.

Only thing worse than losing $100k is losing $100k and half the house because the wife left when the money did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing