Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 04:28 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times

Advertisements

6-8% min return with downside protection or limited loss is a pipe dream, three really important things do not line up for you

Investing time horizon
Risk tolerance
Expected return
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
Yes, but I may not need all the money, so I plan to seek moderate returns, even if it means added risk. There's a 50% chance that I'll need 50% of the money, if that makes sense.

Unfortunately bond funds are not a good option, as interest rates will increase. A broad market index fund is attractive and tax efficient, but may be too risky for my time horizon, despite the fact that I am not risk averse.

I am thinking Vanguard Wellington, but are there other alternatives? It lost 30% in recession, but I can tolerate that, considering how it performed the preceding and succeeding 4 years before and after the dip.

Past performance isn't an indicator of future results. What if it post back to back 30% declines? You start year 3 with 49% of your original investment

Old 06-23-2014, 05:17 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,239,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Past performance isn't an indicator of future results. What if it post back to back 30% declines? You start year 3 with 49% of your original investment
Talk about Mr. Negativity. While past performance is certainly no guarantee of future results, your pessimism is worse than the history of the modern stock market for this fund, including the 1929 market crash.

Playing it too safe GUARANTEES a loss in my book - no potential for a win is stupid unless you absolutely need the money 100%, which is not my case. However if market conditions are truly that bad, then I certainly won't use the money for what I was planning to do with it. With a bear market that bad, assuming fundamentals are strong, I would probably shift into equities to take advantage of the recovery.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Talk about Mr. Negativity. While past performance is certainly no guarantee of future results, your pessimism is worse than the history of the modern stock market for this fund, including the 1929 market crash.

Playing it too safe GUARANTEES a loss in my book - no potential for a win is stupid unless you absolutely need the money 100%, which is not my case. However if market conditions are truly that bad, then I certainly won't use the money for what I was planning to do with it. With a bear market that bad, assuming fundamentals are strong, I would probably shift into equities to take advantage of the recovery.

Either you are worried about downside or not. You can't quote a 30% loss and then talk about the recovery as though that's how it will go down next time. It's not about negativity but reality. Your idea, wants are disconnected with reality and the risk involved

Old 06-23-2014, 05:53 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,239,428 times
Quote:
Either you are worried about downside or not. You can't quote a 30% loss and then talk about the recovery as though that's how it will go down next time. It's not about negativity but reality. Your idea, wants are disconnected with reality and the risk involved
My idea is on par with historical averages and I accept the risk involved. That being said, I think US equities are currently overvalued unless underlying fundamentals support the higher prices.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
My idea is on par with historical averages and I accept the risk involved. That being said, I think US equities are currently overvalued unless underlying fundamentals support the higher prices.

6-8% is not on par with minimizing potential for losses anything under 6% isn't worth your time. There is a disconnect

Old 06-29-2014, 06:22 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,903,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I thought Wellington is closed and Wellesley is the open alternative.
Wellington is closed to institutional investors but not to individuals. I just moved some money into Wellington and feel it is a great fund and fits into my long term investing plan.

Jasper Hobbs

Old 07-01-2014, 08:49 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
6-8% min return with downside protection or limited loss is a pipe dream, three really important things do not line up for you

Investing time horizon
Risk tolerance
Expected return
This is what I'm thinking. I say go with Vanguard Wellesley Income over Vanguard Wellington if your time horizon is only 5 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing