Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2014, 12:03 PM

419 posts, read 846,676 times

Advertisements

My investment institution offers brokered CDs for clients to purchase. Out of these, the long term CDs offer relatively decent interest rates compared to bank CDs. For example, CDs with 10 year terms are above 3%. No cost to purchase. But taxed both by fed and state.

Most CDs are callable by the issuer every year (or so) during the 10 year term. While a 3.25% interest rate might seem pretty good now, it may not be the case in a few years. And even if overall market interest rates fall significantly, then the issuer just "calls" all their CDs and then offers the same for a lower interest rate. If the market interest rates increase significantly, then the issuer has the CD investor locked in at the lower interest rate. It seems like long term callable CDs are only a losing situation for the potential investor.

But these long term callable CDs are selling like hotcakes. On my online account I can see the volume of inventory in real-time. A single new issue of a CALLABLE CD is selling almost a $1,000,000 in a single day. What am I missing here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 01:48 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Maybe a million in daily fixed income sales isn't much? Maybe people are rolling over maturing CDs, some people want the longer dated paper

Old 09-24-2014, 02:31 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times
You buy them if the alternative for that money was to buy a long-term CD of that duration anyways. People are sticking to an allocation.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:49 PM

419 posts, read 846,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Maybe a million in daily fixed income sales isn't much?
Clarification: There are several issues of CDs selling a million each. Some starting with 8000 shares ($1,000 each = $8Million) selling steadily throughout the day. Another new issue is now down to under 500 shares now, and will probably be sold out before the weekend.

Maybe there are lots of risk adverse investors? Also, 10 year terms still could include retirees who seek to preserve capital? If the CD is called way early in the 10 year term, the investors just buy another CD at the lower current interest rates?

Old 09-27-2014, 07:00 PM

748 posts, read 820,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerriMAC View Post
My investment institution offers brokered CDs for clients to purchase. Out of these, the long term CDs offer relatively decent interest rates compared to bank CDs. For example, CDs with 10 year terms are above 3%. No cost to purchase. But taxed both by fed and state.

Most CDs are callable by the issuer every year (or so) during the 10 year term. While a 3.25% interest rate might seem pretty good now, it may not be the case in a few years. And even if overall market interest rates fall significantly, then the issuer just "calls" all their CDs and then offers the same for a lower interest rate. If the market interest rates increase significantly, then the issuer has the CD investor locked in at the lower interest rate. It seems like long term callable CDs are only a losing situation for the potential investor.

But these long term callable CDs are selling like hotcakes. On my online account I can see the volume of inventory in real-time. A single new issue of a CALLABLE CD is selling almost a $1,000,000 in a single day. What am I missing here?
What's the online platform? Also, there may be a penalty on the CDs for taking money out before the maturity date. Regardless, I'm interested in looking more into this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing