Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2014, 01:05 AM

335 posts, read 409,647 times

Advertisements

The american dollar is semi worthless being essentially a promisary note albeit
a illusion of applicable currency ,which needs to be returned to the gold standard?
Money needs to have intinsic value before we sink into oblivion! The wealth portion
of the US ecomomy is shrinking only unnoticed by printing more useless paper.
The desireablity of US currency is being compromised by world monetary systems
wishing to use non-dollar currency and run from a debtor potentially defaulter nation.
At this rate we will see our bond value bite the bullet and I predict a market crash
soon ( perhaps a collapse of the international monetary system) and an economic
collapse leading to an extended multi-year depression by 2015 in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 04:38 AM

5,474 posts, read 6,290,008 times
Worthless huh? Ok then, send all of your dollars to me then.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:44 AM

1,870 posts, read 1,900,404 times
The dollar is like gold in that it is worth what people are willing to pay for it. People "pay" for it with their labor or exchange things like real estate ( and gold ) for it.

Others have said that in essence, it is backed by the productivity of the citizens who work and live in the 'dollar world' where they pay mortgages and get salaries in that currency. That's pretty-much true.

The value of the dollar may be headed for zero, but that trajectory is a limit function. It might keep getting closer to zero, but on a human timescale, it isn't ever going to get there.

There was a time when $5/day was a great rate of pay and a person could raise a family on that. To the person who lived in that time ( around 1920 ) the dollar might "seem" worthless, but it's still worth something.

There will come a time when $50/gallon for gasoline will seem like a bargain. At that time, the dollar will still have value. ( It will be 1/50th of a gallon of gasoline and maybe 1/18,000th of an ounce of gold. ) The US can still easily be the dominant economy at that time.

( Note that $18k/oz gold doesn't mean that buying an ounce of gold was the best or worst thing you could have done with your money. It's just an exchange rate. That's all. )

Old 09-26-2014, 07:07 PM

Excellent push backs posters! I agree with that traditional even immedately present buying power of the dollar as an exchange note works, but what is insidiously evolving is a number of red flags far worse than boo hooing a bear market. So my point? Who cares and who the heck invited me to be an investor guru? My admitedly basic advice is an attempt to warn based on data, articles and interviews that perhaps many investors have not been privee to? Hope its not a conradiction to now say the dollar Is the bomb because it is not, but yes, I bought some noodles today tommorow a Noodle!

Last edited by Inattentive; 09-26-2014 at 08:02 PM..

Old 09-26-2014, 08:29 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,108,628 times
If you are wrong, can we never hear from you again????

If you have some serious discussion concerning investment, great. Otherwise, why not go back to the religion and other forums that better fit your inattention?

Old 09-26-2014, 09:47 PM

Your welcome! Read the thread foot notes and I suggest " The Death of Money"
by Jim Rickards. One closing point we are NOT 18 trillion in debt we are 60- 80
trillion!

Last edited by Inattentive; 09-26-2014 at 09:57 PM..

Old 09-26-2014, 10:35 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,108,628 times
This is a sad, sad situation. A gifted individual with tons of promise and well the best we can say is his thinking went off course. The paranoia suggests a host of medical explanations. Even more interesting is the power of dilusion and paranoia. On the surface he sounds sane. With more thought it is easy to see something is seriously wrong.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:17 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing