Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 05:32 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,975,028 times

Advertisements

If markets open up on Monday, could this be an indication that the FOMC won't end Quantitative Easing on Wednesday? Will stocks continue to rise up, up, and away?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5akEgsZSfhg

Last edited by eccotecc; 10-26-2014 at 06:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 07:46 AM

If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail.

Is your investment plan on target to reach your goals? If not, what will you need to do differently to reach your goal? Is now the time to revisit your plan to make adjustments, or do you believe in leave it and forget it?

Old 10-28-2014, 08:10 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Market timing, buy low, sell high, volatility- yawn no hum how did the sell high and buy low thing do for you lately?

Active v Passive and the winner is? Asset Allocation and your assets within your chosen allocation along with being mindful of fees v return is the winner.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:39 AM

Dow expected to open up over 100 points. Hope today turns out to be a treat as opposed to a trick.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:32 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,108,628 times
My investment thoughts and strategy for the day are boring. In fact they are consistently boring. I have not bought or sold anything in months. Nor do I intend to do so. Plenty of investors always seem to be worried. They are concerned about QE, or the Chinese economy slowdown or software issues with the latest Apple phone. If an economic indictor is a bit low, they are worried. If the economy does well, they worry that the Fed will increase interest rates.

Many of us small time investors panic but the talking heads and fickle professional investors and advisors seem even worse.

I pay little attention to any of them. The economy continues to recover, many businesses are doing very well and stocks continue to climb within reasonable PE ratios. I cannot begin to time the minor market ups and downs. None of it makes any sense. Instead I try to keep my eye on the big picture and that continues to look good.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:25 AM

3,148 posts, read 2,729,508 times
My investment thought of the day:

Thank goodness for Vanguard founder John Bogle. The man has made it possible to invest in the stock market without being at the mercy of the "fee-skimmers" and scam artists.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:35 PM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times
I'm a little jaded from giving the same old investment advice (hold a well diversified passive investment portfolio) so let's discuss something different (but somewhat related to investments) for a change..

Quote:
“Optionality is the property of asymmetric upside (preferably unlimited) with correspondingly limited downside (preferably tiny).”
- Nicholas Nassim Taleb.

Call and put options allow you to buy/sell stocks at prespecified prices in the future regardless of the market price, and you pay a premium to have this privilege. But call and put options also exist in real life situations, and often, you pay relatively little (time, money, and/or effort) to obtain these options. Examples:

1) You're an author of a book. Your book sales will skyrocket if you receive viral positive reviews for your book for obvious reasons. But if you receive tons of attacks, criticism, negativity, etc., then you might also see a similar surge in your sales. You're essentially holding LONG Call and Put options on the reputation of your book.

2) There's a party where a bunch of highly influential people will be hanging out near where you live. You go to the party. Most likely you won't impress those folks but you got little to lose by doing this and there's a small probability one of them might take an interest in you. You're holding a LONG Call option on your social network for the cost of one evening at a party.

3) Starting a consulting side business while working a day job: you start a business that requires relatively low initial startup capital. If you fail, you continue working the day job. If it takes off and earns more than your job, you quit your job and work in consulting full time. You're holding a LONG Call option on your career for the cost of a small amount of start-up capital and your evenings spent on the consulting practice.

My advice? Instead of paying up for options on stocks, there are a ton of places in everyday life where you can obtain (the equivalent of) call and put options for free or relatively cheaply. Amass a ton of them and many of them will probably expire worthless but a few will probably pay off (with better odds than from winning the lottery.)

See: http://www.exnergmbh.com/2014/07/rea...fragility.html

Last edited by ragnarkar; 11-07-2014 at 12:44 PM..

Old 11-07-2014, 06:59 PM

5,470 posts, read 6,290,008 times
My investment thought of the day:

The longer I hold BRK-B and MKL, the more tempted I am to sell everything else and buy just these two stocks and hold them forever.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:39 AM

Dow poised to open up 150 points.

China's central bank cuts interest rates.

Draghi readies QE.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:13 AM

2,806 posts, read 3,175,870 times
Yawn more of the same. I certainly like being in the most bullish phase of the presidential cycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing