Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 08:40 AM

3,978 posts, read 4,576,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Yes I think nucular physics sounds interesting too
Oh, do you not understand vertical spread? It's often used as a bull call. You buy a open call on the money and then you sell an open call at a higher price, out of money at the same time for the same expiration date for the same stock. The downside is that it limits you profit if the stock goes through the roof, but at the same time, it limit your loss to the debit amount, the difference between the call and the spread if the stock tanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 08:46 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
Oh, do you not understand vertical spread? It's often used as a bull call. You buy a open call on the money and then you sell an open call at a higher price, out of money at the same time for the same expiration date for the same stock. The downside is that it limits you profit if the stock goes through the roof, but at the same time, it limit your loss to the debit amount, the difference between the call and the spread if the stock tanks.

No I understand options trading and didn't have to google vertical spreads to find out like you had to do. No one who understands options trading and has educated themselves beyond google master would never say "buy a open call" or "on the money" lulz at you trying to give the education

Old 12-26-2014, 08:48 AM

3,978 posts, read 4,576,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
No I understand options trading and didn't have to google vertical spreads to find out like you had to do. No one who understands options trading and has educated themselves beyond google master would never say "buy a open call" or "on the money" lulz at you trying to give the education
Oh, if you still don't understand it, you should read a book or two.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:51 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
Oh, if you still don't understand it, you should read a book or two.

My multiple finra registrations confirm that I fully understand them.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:05 AM

595 posts, read 560,504 times
I buy puts sometimes as a hedge but mostly long equities and etfs

Old 12-26-2014, 04:54 PM

919 posts, read 848,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
It is a simple strangle with the max loss @ 90 dollars per contract. If you're happy with the risk/reward I am too.

I would be inclined to look at a condor if I had a target in mind for the underlying.

I'm no expert on options although I have studied them quite a bit. I decided options are too long term for my personality. I can't go to bed with a position on.
What Wartrace said. Except the last part - I am the polar opposite, never day-traded in my life.

OP - you are basically gambling that either due to overall high volatility or GE-specific factors, GE stock will NOT trade in a range, but will either tank (so your put is ITM) or soar (call is ITM). So my question is, why GE? Why not some more volatile stock? In this case volatility is your friend.

Anyway it's all gambling. Look back on significant events of 2014 that affected the stock market, and see if anyone predicted them. It's useless to predict short-term direction. Go ahead and gamble but don't dignify it with the term "strategy".

Old 12-27-2014, 04:57 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
OP,

Read McMillan's Options as a Strategic Investment before you start playing with equity options. If you had, you wouldn't ask the question you did.

Old 03-17-2016, 03:14 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,008 times
I'd love to hear an update on how these strategies worked out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing