Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 03:23 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,688,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cancerous View Post
Let's say say I have $2mm. And thats ALL the money I had.

Could someone talk about the cons of putting every last penny of it in a REIT and just collecting the income and retiring?

I realize putting all of it, in one asset is risky, but I did a historical return analysis, and had I done this strategy before the crash in 08, the year with the lowest in annual income would have been in 2009, 2010, and 2011, which would have been about $50k, which would have still been enough to live off of at the time. (ive lived off of much less in the past!). Since Jan 1, 2013, annual income has been about 70k, and the two years before the crash annual income was 80k a year.
This is why you don't put all of your eggs in one basket.... United States housing bubble - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
I realize putting all of it, in one asset is risky
That's the understatement of the decade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 04:43 PM

919 posts, read 848,279 times
Quote:
Could someone talk about the cons of putting every last penny of it in a REIT and just collecting the income and retiring?
There are no cons. Do it. I dare you. I double-dare you.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:00 PM

13,654 posts, read 9,711,429 times
Quote:
What ARE some set & forget strategies?
There's no such thing, period. Millions of people are asking this question! If there were a reliable pat answer, then the financial-services industry would fold. Instead it's vibrant and healthy.

"Portfolio theory" is all about maximizing return subject to minimizing risk. But there's ample reason for why it's called "portfolio theory" and not "portfolio practice".

What about diversification into a basket of low-cost index funds? This is probably the closest practical approximation to "set and forget". But even this requires discipline to not chase returns or to avoid other costly rashness.

If your aim is to grow your portfolio decade over decade, without touching it, then the aforementioned diversification scheme is probably best. If however you aim to generate income from the portfolio, while preserving principle (and presumably managing taxes), the challenge becomes prodigious.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:52 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,240,059 times
IMHO if you truly want to "set and forget",Vanguard Target Retirement is best if you're accumulating and Vanguard Managed Payout is best if you want one all-inclusive fund that you want to last for a long time. Are there better strategies out there? Absolutely, but these are good if "set and forget" is a must.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:41 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,530,480 times
Quote:
Sorry, fund of REITs, like VNQ.
I'd want something that pays monthly.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:38 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,732,034 times
Do you have any thoughts on the TYPE of reit?

I will say that mortgage reit's are paying a dividend of apprx 15%, that is as good an income as anyone could hope for with a reit. (until QE stops and interest rates rise)

Old 12-30-2014, 02:36 AM

2,914 posts, read 2,688,085 times
Quote:
what are some set & forget strategies? I'm 27.
voo - 90%
agg - 10%

Old 12-30-2014, 03:02 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,833,673 times
depends what you mean by set and forget. do you want to bet the ranch on only low rates and prosperity or do you really want a set and forget portfolio that makes money in both good and bad times ?

since everything listed above is only geared on one outcome which is low rates low inflation and prosperity with stocks and bonds ?

another set and forget idea is one that would never be devasted in any outcome. it won't be a barn burner in a bull market but it never has to fight its way back from steep losses either. 2008 saw it up while stocks plunged and corporate bonds were down.

25% cash
25% vti and an extended market fund seasoned to taste
25% gold - I USED GLD
25% long term treasuries - I USED TLT

rebalance once a year.

by themselves some are the most volatile and out of favor assets yet taken as a team they have done well for 40 years. in fact right up until gold fell it actually beat a 100% investment in the s&p over the last 30 years.

but it isn't designed to beat indexes , it is designed to protect your money and never let a severe economic scenario devastate you while keeping you well ahead of inflation..

each part can be very responsive to any of the 4 major scenarios.

recession
prosperity
depression
inflation.

usually one part may fall by 50% in a bad reaction but anything that bad usually has other components rising more than that .

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-30-2014 at 03:56 AM..

Old 12-30-2014, 07:16 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
voo - 90%
agg - 10%

How on earth has your blanket recommendation ratio gone from 25% spy or VOO and 75% agg to 90/10?

Old 12-30-2014, 09:37 AM

13,654 posts, read 9,711,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
depends what you mean by set and forget. ...

25% cash
25% vti and an extended market fund seasoned to taste
25% gold - I USED GLD
25% long term treasuries - I USED TLT
This aptly illustrates how a portfolio's objectives impact its contents.

Does "set and forget" mean the generation of a steady income, where the integrity of the principal matters only in terms of its reliability in producing an income?

Does "set and forget" mean the careful shepherding of a "stash" of money through inflation and various economic times, so that it survives inflation, does not fluctuate much and retains its integrity, but foregoes growth-potential?

Does "set and forget" mean investing for growth, so that n-number of years from now an untouched portfolio will have become substantially larger than its present state (adjusted for inflation)?

The hardest scenario is for a young person who wants to generate a lifetime of income, but also avoid nauseating fluctuations in the principal, AND wants to see burgeoning growth in the principal over a lifetime. Those three objectives are to some extent in mutual contradiction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing