Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 04:25 AM

4 posts, read 6,160 times

Advertisements

I'm currently 17, turning 18 in one month. During this time I want to catch on everything related to stocks-books and that a lot, including these forums. I was wondering if you guys could give tips to a newbie like me. I only have $500 worth to invest. I just have a few questions, wouldn't taking advantage of the pump and dump scheme for penny stocks BEFORE it happens be super beneficial? What should I do to maximally increase my profits with an extremely low starting investing point? I've been reading these forums and half the time I don't know the words you guys are typing..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 04:31 AM

2,914 posts, read 2,686,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrohazn View Post
I'm currently 17, turning 18 in one month. During this time I want to catch on everything related to stocks-books and that a lot, including these forums. I was wondering if you guys could give tips to a newbie like me. I only have $500 worth to invest. I just have a few questions, wouldn't taking advantage of the pump and dump scheme for penny stocks BEFORE it happens be super beneficial? What should I do to maximally increase my profits with an extremely low starting investing point? I've been reading these forums and half the time I don't know the words you guys are typing..
Wealth is gained the slow and gradual way. Not by gambling with penny stocks. How would you find out about pump and dumps BEFORE the mailers get sent out anyway unless you knew the con artists running the scheme?

Old 01-04-2015, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
Wealth is gained the slow and gradual way. Not by gambling with penny stocks. How would you find out about pump and dumps BEFORE the mailers get sent out anyway unless you knew the con artists running the scheme?
Hmm I originally figured I'd buy stocks in a potentially profitable company BUT I don't know how people find these companies. Should I be investing in multiple companies for a higher rate of success? How do people even get started in investing?

Old 01-04-2015, 04:59 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,252,141 times
My only suggestion would be to not invest money you might need for the short term. I learned that the hard way.

$500 is great for your age... But it's not really enough to invest at the moment. You don't want to gamble with your money on penny stocks. For the time being just keep it in a savings account.

It's good that you're already thinking about this, but you've got several steps ahead before you get started. Get more education keeping an eye towards getting a job, get that job, earn income. Keep living expenses to a minimum. When you're at the point where your income exceeds your expenses, and you have a cushion of maybe six months living expenses in liquid savings, then you can start setting money aside to invest.

I think most people here started in their 20s and 30s. I started after I got my first job with a retirement plan.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:08 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Agree with arrieros.

Create a savings/emergency fund.
$500 is a good start, but not enough.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:06 AM

2,236 posts, read 2,975,439 times
Invest in yourself. The best return you'll ever get will be in a good education. People pay you for what you know.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:42 AM

106,583 posts, read 108,739,314 times
or do what others won't or can't do for themselves.

our septic cleaning guy made a crap load of money with a 6th grade education.

usually that is the key more than a degreed education. finding the areas of employment where there is a need because others can't or won't do it.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:59 AM

2,236 posts, read 2,975,439 times
After getting a good education, always remember that the common denominator of success is forming the habit of doing the things unsuccessful people are not willing to do.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:12 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,941,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
My only suggestion would be to not invest money you might need for the short term. I learned that the hard way.

$500 is great for your age... But it's not really enough to invest at the moment. You don't want to gamble with your money on penny stocks. For the time being just keep it in a savings account.

It's good that you're already thinking about this, but you've got several steps ahead before you get started. Get more education keeping an eye towards getting a job, get that job, earn income. Keep living expenses to a minimum. When you're at the point where your income exceeds your expenses, and you have a cushion of maybe six months living expenses in liquid savings, then you can start setting money aside to invest.

I think most people here started in their 20s and 30s. I started after I got my first job with a retirement plan.
^^This^^

The only thing I would tweak is I'd say it's not absolutely necessary to wait until you have 6 months' living expenses before you start investing if you are young.

But if $500 is all you have saved (can't tell by your post), then you really should keep it in a savings account. I'd say, save $1000 in a savings account and then split any additional savings between investing and adding to the savings account.

I also don't recommend individual stocks. There are literally millions of other people out there analyzing stocks. Many do it full time for a living, and have had years of training. Don't think your abilities are anything special because the odds are very high that they're not.

Pick a good mutual fund and let it do the picking for you.

A fund like Amana Growth might be good for you. It has a $250 minimum, much lower than other funds. It also has good long term performance.

Amana Growth Investor Purchase Info

Jrohazn, I also think you should read Mr. Money Mustache. He teaches people the correct way to get rich. While compounding of your investments is important, it is NOT the most important factor. It's the percentage of your income that you save. Aim for a 50% to 70% savings rate, and you won't need huge compounding to become rich.

Getting Rich: from Zero to Hero in One Blog Post

Old 01-04-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
^^This^^

The only thing I would tweak is I'd say it's not absolutely necessary to wait until you have 6 months' living expenses before you start investing if you are young.

But if $500 is all you have saved (can't tell by your post), then you really should keep it in a savings account. I'd say, save $1000 in a savings account and then split any additional savings between investing and adding to the savings account.

I also don't recommend individual stocks. There are literally millions of other people out there analyzing stocks. Many do it full time for a living, and have had years of training. Don't think your abilities are anything special because the odds are very high that they're not.

Pick a good mutual fund and let it do the picking for you.

A fund like Amana Growth might be good for you. It has a $250 minimum, much lower than other funds. It also has good long term performance.

Amana Growth Investor Purchase Info

Jrohazn, I also think you should read Mr. Money Mustache. He teaches people the correct way to get rich. While compounding of your investments is important, it is NOT the most important factor. It's the percentage of your income that you save. Aim for a 50% to 70% savings rate, and you won't need huge compounding to become rich.

Getting Rich: from Zero to Hero in One Blog Post
I read the blog but I'm slightly confused. He's telling me to save more than half of my income but doesnt that include HOW much money you make? Have you had any success with following this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing