Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2015, 07:56 AM

543 posts, read 943,562 times

Advertisements

When I was in Canada a few months ago I decided to get into studying stocks.
Now this is just my opinion and is like yours:

Oculus: Why there's no hoopla over virtual reality yet is beyond me. All throughout the 80s and 90s people were expecting VR to come into their lives. It didn't and we moved on. In 2012 the VR revolution took flight again. A company called Oculus Rift was seen promising. Then Facebook acquired it for 2 billion last year.
Now samsung and Sony have gotten into it(Samsung beat everyone to the pole with their product). Apple and Microsoft will follow suit not to mention a host of upstart companies.
Virtual reality will be huge. It'll be what the broadband internet was in the late 90s or the Smartphone in the late 00s. Oculus is the word but virtual reality is the industry. A behemoth multi billion dollar industry in the making.

Tesla: By now everyone is well aware of Tesla. It's stock has only risen. The catch?
It will expand to Europe and China soon. The gigs factory being setup in Nevada(?) and a spreadsheet of supercharged are planned by 2018.
Oh, and if the roadster and model S were success wait for the model X- the car for the middle class masses.
I think tesla hasn't even seen 1/3rd of it's peak success.

Lithium Ion: now I am not too well aware of this except that it is used to make the battery for electric cars. With the mass explosion of electric cars(remember tesla is not alone, GE and others are already in) the demand for this material will only increase. Mining companies that export lithium ion should be on the radar.

What do you think? This is just my opinion and I could well be wrong but this was where Apple was once upon a time. People were skeptical and then look what happened.

Rishi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 07:07 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,914,833 times
My three future bets:

VTI
VXUS
BND

:-)

It's neat to follow stocks here and there but don't get too excited and throw all of your money in them. Look what happened to that company that was a "sure thing" to sell all these sapphire iPhone screens to Apple.

I love Tesla (the product) but the jury is out on Tesla (the company.) Chevy's announcement yesterday of a 200 mile range small electric car for the low $30k range in a 1-2 year time frame could be a huge impact on Tesla if they no longer have a real or perceived lead.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:00 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,849,216 times
Of the three future bets I like Oculus and lithium ion.

I believe Oculus Rift has big potential. We're not even in the first inning of this thing. Virtual Reality could evolve into so many other things other than 3D gaming. How about watching a live NBA game and feeling like you're at the arena while you're sitting on the couch? Could happen. That would be so cool.

All car companies will have electric cars in their vehicle line-up. EVs will need batteries. Lithium ion is getting better but there are still some drawbacks like price and longevity. If this technology can be improved and manufactured for less expense then it will be successful.

Tesla I'm not so sure. They will have tremendous competition from the majors. Not just from American companies but foreign companies, too. It appears that they have a nice head start with their technology and charging program but the majors can catch up in a hurry. It'll be interesting watching the evolution of Tesla and EV market as we move forward.

-Cheers.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:07 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
Tesla I'm not so sure. They will have tremendous competition from the majors. Not just from American companies but foreign companies, too. It appears that they have a nice head start with their technology and charging program but the majors can catch up in a hurry. It'll be interesting watching the evolution of Tesla and EV market as we move forward.

-Cheers.
It'll be interesting to see how things work out with charging stations; will Teslas remain exclusive to Tesla when other companies get into the EV market? Will each car company have to set up its own network of charging stations, or will the big companies pool together on that infrastructure investment? Would the oil companies invest in that technology, and add it to their petrol stations? Could get interesting.

OP, I think Tesla could be a worthwhile investment in the medium-term, because they have such a head start on the other car manufacturers. Once they get into high-volume production, it would pay off until the other companies catch up. So you could ride that wave when it happens, then sell.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:36 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Tesla had a bad day womp womp

Old 01-13-2015, 03:45 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,163,127 times
I am hanging onto and buying Tesla on dips. I think their technology is far ahead of the others... Add in the free technology exchange (designed to promote and disseminate their tech) and I think they are the presumptive champs.

The fact that they are expanding into Europe where the price of gas relative to the US - is only a good thing.

I do have a question for anyone who may own a Tesla... At supercharging stations... How many cars can be charged at a time?

Old 01-13-2015, 03:51 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I am hanging onto and buying Tesla on dips. I think their technology is far ahead of the others... Add in the free technology exchange (designed to promote and disseminate their tech) and I think they are the presumptive champs.

The fact that they are expanding into Europe where the price of gas relative to the US - is only a good thing.

I do have a question for anyone who may own a Tesla... At supercharging stations... How many cars can be charged at a time?

Their site shows 330 something charging stations with 1800+ bays so about 5.5 per

Old 01-13-2015, 06:34 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
I believe Oculus Rift has big potential. We're not even in the first inning of this thing. Virtual Reality could evolve into so many other things other than 3D gaming. How about watching a live NBA game and feeling like you're at the arena while you're sitting on the couch? Could happen. That would be so cool.
big potential but if it isn't capitalized on soon, it'll be leap frogged by the next big thing and be forgotten about.

old example but things like storage devices, floppy to cd to dvd to bluray but now people skip all that and move to online mostly except for specific reasons
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing