Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 06:20 PM

919 posts, read 847,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Fantastic! This is what I was looking for! So for portfolio allocation, any recommendations? I obviously want to beat inflation..
Depends. How realistic is it for you to increase savings year over year?
If you start with $15K and increase at 4.35%/year, in year 11 you will have to save about $24K. Do you think that's doable?
Basically what I am getting at is, the less you can increase, the riskier your portfolio has to be.
Otherwise, if you just stuff $20K under the mattress for 15 years, you will have a guaranteed $300K.
So not knowing all the variables, I'd recommend a balanced fund that seems reasonably OK to return 5% or more year over year. Several Vanguard funds will fit the bill, e.g. VWELX or VTMFX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 08:39 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,934,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
I need recommendations for a portfolio allocation for my goals.

My horizon is 10-15 years (15 being the absolute latest). This is not a retirement scenario. It is a cash-out scenario. This is not a tax-deferred investment (my retirement accounts are separate).

My starting savings rate is $15,000 per year and will most likely rise.

I would think bonds make more sense than stocks, but I will defer to your expertise. I can't seem to find any good reading on this kind of situation. My risk tolerance is high I think (I do not sell ever). I am starting with $0.
I think that's very aggressive, but a good place to start would be energy stocks. According to the analysts at Morningstar.com, energy stocks are 27% undervalued as of 1/14/15.

Market Fair Value by Sector, Industry, Super-Sector, Index | Morningstar

The energy ETF VDE or the Vanguard Energy mutual fund (VGENX) would be a good place to start. Most stocks in the energy sector are currently rated 4 stars by Morningstar (out of 5), meaning they're a good value, but not a great value, so there is certainly possible for the sector to fall more. But it's currently the most undervalued sector of the stock market by a wide margin.

The energy sector could easily swing from undervalued to overvalued in the next few years, so it's probably not a set it and forget it investment. But based on the kinds of (probably unrealistically high) double digit returns you're looking for, it's probably the best starting point unless you are interested in creating your own portfolio of individual stocks (which I really don't recommend).

I am a pretty big fan of aggressive bond funds such as Loomis Sayles Bond (LSBRX...LSBDX once you hit 100K) or Dodge & Cox Global Bond (DODLX) (both of which I own myself). But I really, really don't expect bonds of any kind to return 10% or more over the next decade. I'll be happy if these funds manage 6% and thrilled if they return 8%, so I really don't think bonds are the way to go for you.

In any case, I think you'll really want to increase the amount you save to get to 300K in 10 years.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:58 PM

19 posts, read 20,006 times
Would have a look here for potential suggestions, this particular view looks not only at the growth potential of the company but also other metrics such as sound financial health.l

Simply Wall St - Well grounded companies with room to grow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing