Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 10:35 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,167,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post
Not quite cpg. I've gotten plenty of reps from those who agree. That's what makes a market; the Pollyanna's such as yourself and the realists who take an objective view on the markets. And to Apple, 5.5x book value 14 P/E with future negative growth. A value stock is Exxon at around 2x book, 11 P/E.

I just have to laugh at this line. The only great advance of the last 10-15 years is the increase in the money supply from CBs. That's NOT true economic growth.
That is XOMs previous 4 quarters multiple and it's 12x. Considering you are so sure Apple will have negative growth in the next year, you should know that energy stocks have already stated they expect much lower earnings this year. If the next 3 quarters look anything like the last you are looking at XOM with a forward EPS of around 15x.

You sure that's a value stock?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 10:45 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Not quite cpg. I've gotten plenty of reps from those who agree. That's what makes a market; the Pollyanna's such as yourself and the realists who take an objective view on the markets. And to Apple, 5.5x book value 14 P/E with future negative growth. A value stock is Exxon at around 2x book, 11 P/E.

I just have to laugh at this line. The only great advance of the last 10-15 years is the increase in the money supply from CBs. That's NOT true economic growth.
Really? You're relying on reps from the CD crowd for validation? Well, THAT'S the definitive answer then. I'm sure that if you went on the Parenting forum and offered up some hare-brained theories on not vaccinating your kids, you'd get a nice little golf clap from a half-dozen nitwits. Hey, if you floated a theory that we should peg the dollar to the Euro, there would be people who thought you were a genius.

I'm no Polyanna, by the way. I came out smelling like a rose during the mortgage meltdown, chiefly because I ignored the cheerleaders in the FIRE economy. But you've obviously formed a thesis and tailoring your facts to fit the thesis, pulling down one easily-refuted fact after another. Over the past fifteen years, I've heard guys like you say the same thing over and over again...Apple's going to run out of road, Apple's out of ideas, Apple's sales are going to plunge. And year after year after year, Apple tattoos it, just like they did last quarter. Hell, I'm not even an Apple fanboy. But after a while, you'd think guys like you would get tired of being wrong. I mean, don't you get tired of being wrong? Ever?

And you actually offered up a pretty terrible example in Exxon. Not only is it a company that sells a commodity product, but that 11 PE ratio reflects the horror show that's going on in the energy industry right now. In 2009, it was around 17 when gas was north of $4 a gallon, if memory serves correctly. Two completely, utterly different kinds of companies having two completely, utterly different kinds of years. And yet, Exxon's PE ratio is only 3 points lower than Apple's.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:46 AM

519 posts, read 597,704 times
one other thing cpg...I'm not "moving the target". Earlier in the thread I stated my position that P/Es will come down across the board.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/38240288-post40.html

Old 02-03-2015, 10:48 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
one other thing cpg...I'm not "moving the target". Earlier in the thread I stated my position that P/Es will come down across the board.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/38240288-post40.html
So as a defense, you're quoting yourself in a previous post as if that's authoritative. Okay, then.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Really? You're relying on reps from the CD crowd for validation? Well, THAT'S the definitive answer then. I'm sure that if you went on the Parenting forum and offered up some hare-brained theories on not vaccinating your kids, you'd get a nice little golf clap from a half-dozen nitwits. Hey, if you floated a theory that we should peg the dollar to the Euro, there would be people who thought you were a genius.

I'm no Polyanna, by the way. I came out smelling like a rose during the mortgage meltdown, chiefly because I ignored the cheerleaders in the FIRE economy. But you've obviously formed a thesis and tailoring your facts to fit the thesis, pulling down one easily-refuted fact after another. Over the past fifteen years, I've heard guys like you say the same thing over and over again...Apple's going to run out of road, Apple's out of ideas, Apple's sales are going to plunge. And year after year after year, Apple tattoos it, just like they did last quarter. Hell, I'm not even an Apple fanboy. But after a while, you'd think guys like you would get tired of being wrong. I mean, don't you get tired of being wrong? Ever?

And you actually offered up a pretty terrible example in Exxon. Not only is it a company that sells a commodity product, but that 11 PE ratio reflects the horror show that's going on in the energy industry right now. Two completely, utterly different kinds of companies having two completely, utterly different kinds of years. And yet, Exxon's PE ratio is only 3 points lower than Apple's.
3 "points" lower?
hmm. ...you sure you understand PEs?

Actually, I was long Apple during its collapse to around $85 (pre-stock split). I bought in at around $120 (7x ago!!) and sold in the $300's. During its fall to under $100 (about 15 before the stock split) I was screaming how undervalued it was at those prices and not many people were listening. It was pretty scary at the time. I will go and find my posts from that time on another board just for kicks. Now I'm on the other side and the "crowd" is super-bullish. Ironic.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
So as a defense, you're quoting yourself in a previous post as if that's authoritative. Okay, then.
No. You claim I'm moving the target when I stated earlier everything is already inflated.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
3 "points" lower?
hmm. ...you sure you understand PEs?

Actually, I was long Apple during its collapse to around $85 (pre-stock split). I bought in at around $120 (6x ago!!) and sold in the $300's. During its fall to under $100 (about 15 before the stock split) I was screaming how undervalued it was at those prices and not many people were listening. It was pretty scary at the time. I will go and find my posts from that time on another board just for kicks. Now I'm on the other side and the "crowd" is super-bullish. Ironic.
What crowd is super bullish? Almost everything I have heard regarding Apple is don't expect a huge rally this year like in years past and it's already up ~9% this year. If it hits $120 and gives another 1.7% in dividends you are looking at about a 13% gain. I think that's what most people expected out of this year. Most estimates I saw were ~15% growth this year.

And I already provided evidence when examining forward P/Es XOM is in line with AAPL if not a little higher.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
What crowd is super bullish? Almost everything I have heard regarding Apple is don't expect a huge rally this year like in years past and it's already up ~9% this year. If it hits $120 and gives another 1.7% in dividends you are looking at about a 13% gain. I think that's what most people expected out of this year. Most estimates I saw were ~15% growth this year.

And I already provided evidence when examining forward P/Es XOM is in line with AAPL if not a little higher.
All markets except energy are very bullish. Keep in mind the companies we're talking about here. One is a monopoly that owns & sells lots of a finite resource - the most demanded resource in the world/ the other is a consumer electronics company currently in its heyday.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:11 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
All markets except energy are very bullish. Keep in mind the companies we're talking about here. One is a monopoly that owns & sells lots of a finite resource - the most demanded resource in the world/ the other is a consumer electronics company currently in its heyday.

Do you know what a monopoly is?

Old 02-03-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
A monopoly? I own Chevron. How is that possible if Exxon is a monopoly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing