U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 12:05 PM

25 posts, read 28,092 times

Advertisements

They say an investor should look at the stock market as a long term thing. Easier said than done. I have lots of money in the stock market in stocks, ETF's and Mutual Funds and in my 401K account. On the day the stock market is up, I feel great and full of energy and excitement. On down days I second guess my investment choices and feel nervous and depressed. This is real money we are talking about!

Anyone else admit that the stock market can impact their moods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 12:13 PM

4,544 posts, read 4,728,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Point View Post
They say an investor should look at the stock market as a long term thing. Easier said than done. I have lots of money in the stock market in stocks, ETF's and Mutual Funds and in my 401K account. On the day the stock market is up, I feel great and full of energy and excitement. On down days I second guess my investment choices and feel nervous and depressed. This is real money we are talking about!

nope. I won't touch this money for another 30-35 years. What happens today has not impact whatsoever on my daily mood.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:52 PM

18,857 posts, read 13,607,134 times
It does because it impacts my work directly however from a personal standpoint it doesn't bother me much

Old 02-02-2015, 01:22 PM

7,316 posts, read 4,157,689 times
No, because I don't pay attention to daily fluctuation of the market. It's just meaningless noise. Long-term trends are all that is important.

If your mood is being affected by the daily market fluctuations, OP, why not just stop checking the market daily?

Old 02-02-2015, 01:32 PM

7,841 posts, read 7,328,515 times
I check my retirement portfolio after the end of each quarter, and occasionally I'll check it during the quarter. I occasionally do some reallocation, but the last few years have been really good, so I'm not going to mess with it.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:08 PM

4,004 posts, read 4,577,056 times
Honestly unless your a day trader I wouldn't even pay attention to daily movement. It will just drive you crazy and tempt you to sell something on a down day.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:16 PM

810 posts, read 594,329 times
Absolutely. I am a competitive guy and it matters to me if my stocks are beating the S&P 500 over the last x days, x months and x years. I know the days and months should not matter but they do anyway. I am less concerned with the overall level.

I am also like 99% of people in that relative performance (gains and losses) matter more than absolute wealth levels. And losses more than gains. So if I am up 10% while S&P is up 15%, that's a bad year.

However, overall, all of this matters much less than family, health and all that crap.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:21 PM

289 posts, read 284,886 times
Depends - usually not, but if i am watching a stock or fund, then it does bug me if it's not going the way i want it to go... but it's a very short term feeling

Old 02-02-2015, 03:39 PM

71,550 posts, read 71,712,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfa-ish View Post
Absolutely. I am a competitive guy and it matters to me if my stocks are beating the S&P 500 over the last x days, x months and x years. I know the days and months should not matter but they do anyway. I am less concerned with the overall level.

I am also like 99% of people in that relative performance (gains and losses) matter more than absolute wealth levels. And losses more than gains. So if I am up 10% while S&P is up 15%, that's a bad year.

However, overall, all of this matters much less than family, health and all that crap.
how can you really tell if you add money over the year, dca ,rebalance , etc. you would have totally different returns than a static index.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:52 PM

5,608 posts, read 3,664,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Point View Post

Nope.

While I look daily, I don't care what the price is doing.

My investments are sound, so I can sleep at night and avoid noise. Whatever I buy, I do so knowing it could drop 50% tomorrow and being comfortable with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or