Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 01:32 PM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
I am not just talking about the stock market either.

To give you an idea of where I am:

I can't remember most patters, but head and shoulder I could never make any money on while trying to paper trade. Can never figure out how the number of days to use for moving averages and boilinger bands. Anyway, with my knowledge of technical analysis I am between "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" and Voodoo science.

Should read up on value investing as well.

Are there classes I should take? I tried reading up on things, but I forget things fast.
Yes: Passive Investing is Power Investing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 02:33 PM

25,554 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:

I can't remember most patters, but head and shoulder I could never make any money on while trying to paper trade. Can never figure out how the number of days to use for moving averages and boilinger bands. Anyway, with my knowledge of technical analysis I am between "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" and Voodoo science.

Are there classes I should take? I tried reading up on things, but I forget things fast.
Hi DPolo,

I think the reason you can never make sense of all those "indicators" is that most of them don't make any sense.

Fundamental analysis will make you money. Learn it. Learn how to figure the worth of a company, and then look at the stock price to figure market capitalization.

There are hundreds of books on technical analysis. They are worth nothing.
There are a few books on fundamental analysis. They are worth their weight in gold.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:40 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Hi DPolo,

I think the reason you can never make sense of all those "indicators" is that most of them don't make any sense.

Fundamental analysis will make you money. Learn it. Learn how to figure the worth of a company, and then look at the stock price to figure market capitalization.

There are hundreds of books on technical analysis. They are worth nothing.
There are a few books on fundamental analysis. They are worth their weight in gold.
I don't understand rocket science, yet that doesn't make me call it nonsense lol

Old 02-05-2015, 04:21 PM

595 posts, read 560,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I don't understand rocket science, yet that doesn't make me call it nonsense lol
The most wealthy investors are value investors, not by chance

Old 02-05-2015, 04:32 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboibob View Post
The most wealthy investors are value investors, not by chance
Warren Buffet looks for bargains, George Soros trades currency futures, Carl Icahn looks for undervalued takeovers... Joe the Plumber is not a Warren Buffet, George Soros or Carl Icahn. When you are dealing with billions, it's a completely different game than Joe with $25,000. I urge people to learn every strategy and use a combination of them. It's much better than just sticking to one tool. There is more than one way to do things. However, you can do what you want and write off everything else. My success speaks volumes.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:16 PM

302 posts, read 368,635 times
Quote:

HI D , to understand investing for YOU - do not put your money in instruments ( real estate deals, companies or stocks ) you don't understand .

A good example is Coca cola . You ever drank it? You know it and understand it .

It is not some exotic corp. that only a rocket engineer could love.

And you can own apiece of it : )

The Wall Street Journal is a good place to start learning as is Bloomberg .com and The New York Times

business section .

It's best to keep things simple in the beginning , buying stocks is part ownership in a company ( albeit a very

small part ) and they WILL send you books like annual reports , invite you to attend and / or vote at stock

holders' meetings and you might fret if you hear 'your' company mentioned in the news , so I suggest you get

to understand annual reports , stock splits , dividends and capital gains tax - which these publications can

explain in legal detail . For starters .

HOWEVER, when you get 'skin ' in the game , the lessons come harder and can put a person thru every emotion known to man - I'm sure you won't forget those things fast -

Old 02-06-2015, 07:20 AM

595 posts, read 560,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Warren Buffet looks for bargains, George Soros trades currency futures, Carl Icahn looks for undervalued takeovers... Joe the Plumber is not a Warren Buffet, George Soros or Carl Icahn. When you are dealing with billions, it's a completely different game than Joe with $25,000. I urge people to learn every strategy and use a combination of them. It's much better than just sticking to one tool. There is more than one way to do things. However, you can do what you want and write off everything else. My success speaks volumes.
Amount of capital is more crucial to traders rather than value investors.

Your success is unverified.

Technical analysis has a lower average success rate.

Op asked about investing

Old 02-06-2015, 08:27 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
I have little talent in investing and picking paint colors. Oh well....
I've often wondered the same thing as the OP

Old 02-06-2015, 08:47 AM

2,761 posts, read 3,425,413 times
I also have little talent with paint color, but from time to time can make money on investing.

Old 02-07-2015, 06:10 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,529,823 times
On January 30th I put everything in LBMH: Summary for Liberator Medical Holdings, Inc- Yahoo! Finance

Up over 7% in a week. My results very including sometimes losing but it is not hard to beat "Total Return" or "Index" Funds with great stocks. They (indexes) beat most investors because they are built to do that. They only keep the best largest stocks and kick out the losers every year. Most people can't do that so they play the funds and indexes boring game. I'm still long until after the earnings report soon so I can still end up a loser on this one. However, my investing is very exciting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing