Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 03:54 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Unintentional market influence. All he has to do is buy a stock, and because of his reputation the stock will be in demand, thus rising in value.
Okay, but that has mostly to do with his level of wealth and investing actions.

You can't prevent people from trading enormous amounts of money or others from following their investing decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 04:49 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,177,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samnyc View Post
Michael Lewis: Still believe markets are rigged

For me, markets have been good for past few years. If someone wants to rig the markets. I would say do more. :-) what you guys think ?
Hehehe . I would also say bring it on. I think it depends what these HFT guys do if it's good or bad. If they provide liquidity and narrow the bid/ask spread it's good but if they front-run orders it's bad and that should be outlawed.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:55 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,375,751 times
From what I see, Lewis doesn't say the stock market still isn't the best way for the average investor to invest their money for the best long term return. So, even if there is some rigging, it should not discourage most people from investing in stocks.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:09 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
remember with trillions in mutual funds and pension funds we are the big boys. you , me , grandma and grandpa are all the big boys we hear about .

Old 03-26-2015, 08:11 AM

595 posts, read 560,504 times
I believe the short term movements in markets are functions of past movement among other factors. there are enough market participants that believe in momentum to make it real. These short term moves are very fickle and can change course at the drop of a hat.

Long term prices are far more predictable and completely associated with earnings and cash flow. Long term holds are also tax advantaged and avoid the commission churning effect of short term trading.

Let the professional traders duke it out. Retail investors have.an advantage over wall street in that retail investors don't need to worry about short term performance. A few quarters of losses for a wall street firm can result in its dissolution.

No reason to fight an uphill battle when you don't have to.

Last edited by bigboibob; 03-26-2015 at 08:26 AM..

Old 03-26-2015, 10:38 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Okay, but that has mostly to do with his level of wealth and investing actions.

You can't prevent people from trading enormous amounts of money or others from following their investing decisions.
do you think mr buffet wants everyone to follow him around like lost puppies?

Old 03-26-2015, 01:18 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,167,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
I'm not sure that high-frequency trading means that the market is rigged but it is an advantage for the deep pocket investing firms that can afford these expensive and sophisticated tools to carry out this activity. There are many other things that affect the market/stocks like pump and dump and sketchy journalists that are paid by investing firms to bash a certain company so that investors get scared and sell their stocks while that investing firm makes a bundle on their short position. The SEC does nothing about this.

Bingo. Really all Flash Boys told me from an individual investor perspective is never purchase market orders, but then again Even the most basic investor knows you should always use limits. While it is all very interesting and intriguing using limits will always get you your stock at the price you want or it won't execute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing