Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 07:14 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
You're buying stocks instead of options?
No time decay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 07:19 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,576,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
No time decay
True, but higher risk, higher return. You just got to pick the rich stock, at the right price, and predict the right time it will tick up a little.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:25 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
True, but higher risk, higher return. You just got to pick the rich stock, at the right price, and predict the right time it will tick up a little.
Higher risk higher losses. That's more likely for new options traders

Old 03-30-2015, 07:41 PM

24,405 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
You're buying stocks instead of options?
I don't trade options often and when I do, it is a very small percentage of my account value. It's usually more for fun. I can still apply my current strategy to options, but there is still a lot of luck involved, which is why I don't do them often or in large amounts.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:46 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,926,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Unfortunately to a large extent I depend on the idiots to manage my money and investment funds. I am retired and enjoying my life. I don't need to work researching, buying and selling. Mostly I look at the market to follow the long term trends so I can alter my allocations and overall strategy as appropriate. I am certainly untrained and no whiz at investing. I was able to avoid the 2008 downturn by moving a major portion of my portfolio to cash before the drop.

I don't want to be a professional investor or advisor. I am merely noting the idiocy that seems rampant in these fields.
The worst idiots for me are those who propose dividend stocks or REITS as a substitute for bonds in a balanced portfolio. A lot of financial advisors do that.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:52 PM

472 posts, read 514,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
The worst idiots for me are those who propose dividend stocks or REITS as a substitute for bonds in a balanced portfolio. A lot of financial advisors do that.
Why is that bad?

Old 03-30-2015, 08:01 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,926,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisDamnLife View Post
Why is that bad?
Because it's not a balanced portfolio anymore. REITS and div. stocks are still equities, with all the risks equities carry. If someone wants to invest 100% in equities and not look at their portfolio for 20 years, that's fine, but those are not the kind of people I'm referring to.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:07 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,576,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I don't trade options often and when I do, it is a very small percentage of my account value. It's usually more for fun. I can still apply my current strategy to options, but there is still a lot of luck involved, which is why I don't do them often or in large amounts.
You need to trade options more often, trust your instinct, and win like me.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:11 PM

5,477 posts, read 6,302,778 times
Quote:
You just got to pick the rich stock, at the right price, and predict the right time it will tick up a little.
Oh, is that all, lol! You've got to be right THREE TIMES on one stock to make money? If I could do that on anything even approaching a regular basis, I'd be on the beach right now enjoying a few cold ones. No thanks.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:19 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,901,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
How does market react to news is something one has to monitor, ...
Why?

In the long run ( over a couple of weeks for this definition ) the news doesn't move the market. Only conditions.

Oil and the dollar fluctuate on news, but in the long run, only the old news moves it. Oil is being overproduced. The US is importing less stuff.

You can't point to anything on the chart of AAPL that shows some new news. It didn't go up on the iPod, the iPhone or the iPad or anything else. It goes up because business is good over time.

The news just gives people a chance to pick up something they already wanted at a bit of a discount or to sell something they were already thinking about selling for a couple points more. If you are in options, it's usually a great time to enter/exit.

Only a dumbsheet buys just because something about a company was announced on the news. The same for selling on some bad news. By then, it's already to late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing