Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 02:24 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,175,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
On a more serious note, I believe I am close to no longer being a subscriber. I am rethinking things as I am now an old fart and seven years into retirement and truthfully new money is heading mostly if not all to Vanguard and mostly to Wellington and Wellesley. Even my RMD strategy is changing once I get there. I will still have a Fidelity taxable portfolio but it will not have long term significance beyond a years worth of LTCG money if needed.
On another note I would recommend to keep it as easy as possible and find someone else as a backup. My dad recently had a fairly incapacitating stroke and he kept everything very much to himself to the point that he forgot the password on his PC and my Mom does not know it. No she has to discover the financial situation on top of dealing with his illness... not a good situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 02:35 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
On another note I would recommend to keep it as easy as possible and find someone else as a backup. My dad recently had a fairly incapacitating stroke and he kept everything very much to himself to the point that he forgot the password on his PC and my Mom does not know it. No she has to discover the financial situation on top of dealing with his illness... not a good situation.
Yup, I hear you and that is part of my motivation. Really won't be a lot that needs to be done. Most of the money will just sit there as in probably all of the money will just sit there. The money will flow into Vanguard on auto pilot and RMD's into the bank on auto pilot. She would have more than enough and if medical cost needed to addressed that could be done with minimal effort. the other fund companies would just sit if I went down.

Old 04-26-2015, 02:41 PM

106,577 posts, read 108,713,667 times
i always say one day 100% wellesley and i am done.

Old 04-26-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i always say one day 100% wellesley and i am done.
Yeah and we still have my age 70 or 68 SS benefit to kick in. Seven years from now you will be a different investor. Wait for Marilyn to start asking why!

Old 04-26-2015, 02:54 PM

basically she will know why . simplicity for her.

remember she was a widow once left on her own and lost 1/2 her savings with bad advice.

so wellesley and an immediate annuity with a check in her account every month may be the final plan down the road..

Old 04-26-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
basically she will know why . simplicity for her.

remember she was a widow once left on her own and lost 1/2 her savings with bad advice.

so wellesley and an immediate annuity with a check in her account every month may be the final plan down the road..
Thats not the why I was suggesting she would ask. I was thinking more along the lines what do we have all of this money for when we could be spending more of it now. Just think you are using a 2.8% draw down rate and not applying it to your full portfolio. Without a significant downturn will you have the same, a tad more or quite a tad more in seven years? You might be surprised how easy it is to kick up the spending level.

Old 04-26-2015, 03:14 PM

We are planning on using a variable spending plan based on each may 1st balance which will set the years max.

Down years will be based on 4% of the actual balance or less 5% than the previos years max.

Whether we spend that much remains to be seen. I don't want to stray off topic in to withdrawal methods but i do like discussing that stuff.

Old 04-26-2015, 03:46 PM

Quote:
We are planning on using a variable spending plan based on each may 1st balance which will set the years max.

Down years will be based on 4% of the actual balance or less 5% than the previos years max.

Whether we spend that much remains to be seen. I don't want to stray off topic in to withdrawal methods but i do like discussing that stuff.
No, no, and no. This discussion is right on topic and this post of yours is right on spot with the discussion about Contrafund. One of the advantages and draws of Contrafund was it's previous less than 1.00 beta which helped make it a solid equity holding for your retirement years. It added predictable stability for your draw down rate. With its now over 1.0 beta and performance that is exceeded by other growth funds is it worth the risk v reward for a retired bloke needing stability for drawdowns?

Old 04-26-2015, 03:52 PM

while a fund with a high beta means it is riskier than its index in the context of a portfolio with other funds it may not mean much.

it may be only 10% of the overall portfolio. one fund really should not be a total investment , not even wellesely.

Old 04-26-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
while a fund with a high beta means it is riskier than its index in the context of a portfolio with other funds it may not mean much.

it may be only 10% of the overall portfolio. one fund really should not be a total investment , not even wellesely.
Sure, but one of the appeals of Contrafund was that it was a good choice during that accumulation phase that you could also keep during the draw down phase. As the thread comments indicate there may well be better choices today. It is currently 10 Percent of the growth fund and perhaps most importantly 20% of the Growth and Income fund. It is that role in the Growth and Income fund that could change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing