Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 09:06 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times

Advertisements

Does anyone believe that Twitter's recent nosedive is going to be permanent (I'm hearing talk that the company's recent disappointing earnings report is a sign that overestimated the company: http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/20...-bounce-back)? If not, when would be a good time to purchase some shares in Twitter? I'm inclined to believe that Twitter will bounce back, but won't invest in it now (I'm not talking major investments here either) as I think that the stock will continue to drop for a minute coming off the earnings report.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 12:16 PM

906 posts, read 1,765,936 times
It'll be interesting to see what others think. I personally am not touching it. I owned Twitter in 2014 and rode it up from the mid-30s to mid-60s only to see it crash back down into the mid-30s. I sold it for a push/small loss. I just don't see a clear path to monetizing their users. They have lower engagement numbers compared to FB and less useful data regarding their users to leverage ad buys.

That said, I am long FB, have been since 2013, and will probably add to my FB position in the coming months.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:12 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,761,708 times
I agree. I just don't see them making much advertising revenue. I really don't understand the whole concept of "twitter" as if most people need more distractions in their lives.

Pretty outrageous market cap for a company like that. Is it really worth 27,000,000,000.00?

Old 04-29-2015, 03:10 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
I would go with FB in a heartbeat over TWTR

Old 04-29-2015, 10:29 PM

488 posts, read 819,268 times
Agreed. FB>TWTR.

But I think TWTR isn't going anywhere and could turn around with a better CEO. I won't be surprised if Costolo resigns very soon, which could prompt a rebound. I bought in at $31 and have held on to it to far, but I'll sell if it falls to $35. It's up almost 1% after hours today, at $38.85.

Last edited by mark85; 04-29-2015 at 11:44 PM..

Old 04-30-2015, 02:30 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,227,271 times
Yes, Twitter is not going anywhere. The important thing is they have a monopoly on the market, they can come up with 1,000 bad ideas and it won't sink them. They just need one idea to work. I think they will figure out how to monetize their product and do so in a big way, but there will be a lot of growing pain in the process.

I'm bullish TWTR but it is going to take a while for the stock to rebound and I think it'll be very volatile in the near term.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Yes, Twitter is not going anywhere. The important thing is they have a monopoly on the market, they can come up with 1,000 bad ideas and it won't sink them. They just need one idea to work. I think they will figure out how to monetize their product and do so in a big way, but there will be a lot of growing pain in the process.

I'm bullish TWTR but it is going to take a while for the stock to rebound and I think it'll be very volatile in the near term.
What monopoly are you speaking of? Their main competitor is FB and they are many times larger when you consider FB, FB messenger, WhatsApp, and Instagram.

As a previous user, I find Twitter very confusing which is probably why its very much a niche product. The newsfeed on FB and Instagram just make sense; they deliver content that can be consumed. Its very easy to meld news, advertising, and trending content within that ecosystem. Twitter is just a jumble of random snippets of content, retweets, and conversations between users. I found it so useless that I don't even log on anymore.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus1ander View Post
What monopoly are you speaking of? Their main competitor is FB and they are many times larger when you consider FB, FB messenger, WhatsApp, and Instagram.

As a previous user, I find Twitter very confusing which is probably why its very much a niche product. The newsfeed on FB and Instagram just make sense; they deliver content that can be consumed. Its very easy to meld news, advertising, and trending content within that ecosystem. Twitter is just a jumble of random snippets of content, retweets, and conversations between users. I found it so useless that I don't even log on anymore.

FB and Twitter are not really competitors - there are plenty of people who uses both and using one does not make the other redundant like say a Direct TV vs Dish Network would. The two companies can co-coexist and they serve different purpose.

I do agree it's a niche product but it is a niche product that has dominated that niche market. And yes, the user experience is something they'll have to improve on (I think this goes hand in hand in monetizing their product). And my bet is that they figure a way to do that.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
FB and Twitter are not really competitors - there are plenty of people who uses both and using one does not make the other redundant like say a Direct TV vs Dish Network would. The two companies can co-coexist and they serve different purpose.
I still think they are selling a similar social media product, except advertisers view the FB ecosystem as much more established and proven given the higher level of engagement and better click-throughs, especially for targeted newsfeed campaigns and videos.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus1ander View Post
I still think they are selling a similar social media product, except advertisers view the FB ecosystem as much more established and proven given the higher level of engagement and better click-throughs, especially for targeted newsfeed campaigns and videos.
No question FB is the safer and maybe wiser investment over the long haul. But I am not about to write off Twitter either. I can understand someone thinking the opposite and I guess time will tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing