U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 04:10 PM

125 posts, read 397,855 times
Default Edward Jones-Any 1 Use Them?

Had a meeting with a local Edward Jones rep today to take over my current accounts as a broker/adviser. Good man, but wondered if anyone had any feedback/ feelings on this company.

Edward Jones
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 05:12 PM

1,668 posts, read 5,124,099 times
I've use Dean Witter, but Edward Jones is a top-notch company. However, if you want to read negative reports, look at the site "Ripoff Report - By Consumers For Consumers". There's plenty on any company, you make the choice on how relevant their comments are to you. Personally, I would have no problem with a firm like that. When I was searching for a broker, I interviewed them to see where they invested their personal money. When I found one with my ideals, I hired him.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:35 PM

531 posts, read 781,372 times
I think if you are going to pay for an advisor, Edward Jones is the best way to go. They steer all their reps to have the same philosophy ( buy in hold quality mutual funds for long time) If they're you're investing in mutual funds tell them you prefer American funds. (that's their favorite fund family and it's a very good one)

Old 01-21-2008, 09:15 PM

Thanks for the feedback. My history of brokers started when I entered the school district as a classroom teacher. I was woefully naive of finances and investing and thought the company in the same building was part of the district.

After some negative reviews, I took what investments this first broker set up for me and worked with a Primerica rep. He was the son-in-law of a teacher I respected. He was a good guy, but I was looking for no-load mutual funds and was influenced by Bob Brinker a lot. Hating any middle-men, this wasn't for me, but with the hold harmless agreement, I was seriously limited to my choice of M-funds.

This rep disappeared and I was assigned a new rep from Primerica (he went to sell used cars for Infinity) and then the district assigned me a new broker. All brokers have done basically nothing for me and have been necessary evils if you will. My 403b and Roth Ira need a broker so I am stuck.

I liked the rep from Edward Jones, he's local, he's over 50 (Mr. Primerica was 28), and if I don't like him I can always replace him with someone else. His philosophy is in line w/Brinker and they don't look for a quick fix, nor do I.

Yet, I know he is in business and after the initial courtship, he will fade away until needed. There really isn't a lot of affection needed with my accounts, just monitoring a few times a year.

The one thing I am concerned with his my liquid account w/about $50k. I am working part-time now and don't want this to get locked up. It is a Vanguard acct in the S&P and Wilshire 5000. Any thoughts on this acct with Edward Jones?

PS--I did the consumer rip off report for Edward Jones and didn't find much...which I guess is good. Can you send a link to negative reports?

Thanks again.

Last edited by Pocketplayer; 01-21-2008 at 09:53 PM..

Old 01-22-2008, 10:59 AM

3,939 posts, read 12,275,384 times
I dropped EJ many years ago after high transaction costs turned me sour. Since I make my own investment decisions it is much more effective for me to use Fidelity and Vanguard.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:12 PM

I dropped EJ many years ago after high transaction costs turned me sour. Since I make my own investment decisions it is much more effective for me to use Fidelity and Vanguard.

Yes...I'm all for this, BUT...what about acct's that must have a broker (403b)? I'm not sure about my Roth Ira. Then I need someone. EJ guy wants to roll over 403b (not investing in now) into another fund.

For the accts I need a broker, the basic expense is what it is. I have American Funds now as it is and my TSA will not allow no-load funds. They have a specific list of funds I can use.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:20 PM

690 posts, read 1,183,771 times
Used them for 5 years, no problems.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:48 PM

1,668 posts, read 5,124,099 times
Well, you're definately right about checking Ripoff Report. There are only 5 entrys. Even checking Brokers-Rating.com (good comments section), most brokers stay about 50/50 in pros and cons. No place is squeeky clean. Looks like Edward Jones is as good as it gets.

Old 01-23-2008, 03:58 PM

I like the idea of the relationship with the broker as more important (for the most part) than the company. I think I found a good rep and we hit it off immediately. He's local and like most brokers has an umbrella of funds they like to use. This makes sense.

I also am thinking about Ric Edleman
He has a radio show and I am always impressed with what he says. Just wrote a new book as well and offer a lot on the site regarding personal management. What do you think?

Old 01-23-2008, 04:05 PM

857 posts, read 3,071,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
I use EJ and I have a sit-down with my broker every year or so. I make my own decisions, and most of my money is in Fidelity, T Rowe Price and Vanguard because of the low fees, but I like to sit down once in a while with someone who does this for a living and compare notes. I don't mind him making some money off of me when I add to my SEP, but I am not going to move the rest of it over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing