Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 08:09 AM

2,236 posts, read 2,976,456 times

Advertisements

We've been going through a 0% horizontal correction for most of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 07:44 PM

949 posts, read 788,833 times
You may be right. But in every case there were obvious warning signs of disequilibrium. Today, the bond market looks risky. Some master investors have been calling it a bond bubble for a year now. Pimco believes the market is underestimating the pace of rate increases, although they expect the long term FED funds rate to remain historically low.

There are many naïve investors that don't seem to be aware that the value of their bond portfolios is either dropping or about to drop and continue to do so for at least a couple years. An uninformed friend recently counseled me that now that I'm retired, all of my savings should be in bonds to ensure I don't lose money. I think this is just typical of what most people believe.

It's possible some bond funds and ETFs could be rendered insolvent as investors run for the exit all at once; akin to a panicked crowd in a burning theater perishing as they all attempt to exit though a small doorway at once.

I have some savings in a bond CEF so at least redemptions would be limited to keeping the leverage ratio under that stated in the prospectus, rather than at the whim of skittish investors. I figure in the worst case, the NAV plummets, but eventually rebounds without destroying the portfolio. A good CEF manager should be able to capitalize and buy good high yield corporates at below bargain basement prices, while his peers managing mutual funds and ETFs struggle to sell in an illiquid market to meet investor redemptions.

Last edited by mitchmiller9; 06-21-2015 at 08:04 PM..

Old 06-21-2015, 07:48 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
I timed the market today!
I had been waiting for DOW to come back above 18000....and i took my current employer 401k (which has only about 190k in it) and switched from 82% in S&P, to 70% in Money Market.

Yes, i may lose out on some gains later this year, but i will be saving up and buy/buy/buy once there's a significant drop pattern....

I don't recommend what i did. It's risky and has obvious negatives.
I think i can afford the loss of potential gains though, and i'm willing to 'gamble' (and that's what it is...really).

Add this to your oil etf/etn issue and it's clear that most people would benefit from an advisor

Old 06-21-2015, 08:09 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,297,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Add this to your oil etf/etn issue and it's clear that most people would benefit from an advisor
Add this to your other replies to me that you would have been better off not hitting 'submit' on.
You don't know anything about my real situation. the only thing you know is what i tell you about my situation

Face it... you're obsessed with me. lol
keep following me....I enjoy having a groupie.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Add this to your other replies to me that you would have been better off not hitting 'submit' on.
You don't know anything about my real situation. the only thing you know is what i tell you about my situation

Face it... you're obsessed with me. lol
keep following me....I enjoy having a groupie.

I'm not obsessed, the volume of ridiculous stuff you post just puts it front and center enough for people to comment on. Lets also not act like you haven't been schooled by me either

Old 06-21-2015, 08:20 PM

Quote:
I'm not obsessed, the volume of ridiculous stuff you post just puts it front and center enough for people to comment on. Lets also not act like you haven't been schooled by me either
Schooled? you have nothing to offer me. Lol
go to bed, groupie. it's past your bed time

Old 06-21-2015, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Schooled? you have nothing to offer me. Lol
go to bed, groupie. it's past your bed time

You have ego problems tied to ignorance. That's deadly in the financial field. I'm vastly more knowledgable in the world of finance than you will ever be. If your ego wasn't so soft maybe you'd learn more here

Old 06-21-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
You have ego problems tied to ignorance. That's deadly in the financial field. I'm vastly more knowledgable in the world of finance than you will ever be. If your ego wasn't so soft maybe you'd learn more here
lol you keep telling yourself that. You talk about 'my' ego, with statements like the above?

I'm not here to compare *&#@ sizes.....you can do that with your buddies.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:09 PM

Quote:
lol you keep telling yourself that. You talk about 'my' ego, with statements like the above?

I'm not here to compare *&#@ sizes.....you can do that with your buddies.

I've actually admitted to being wrong here and gave learned from people because of it. That's not ego

Old 06-21-2015, 09:33 PM

Quote:
I've actually admitted to being wrong here and gave learned from people because of it. That's not ego
Yes. but you know what is? what you said in post #17.
Just go to bed....you can follow me again tomorrow morning
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing