Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 05:57 AM

1,902 posts, read 2,022,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I wouldn't touch the stock market where it's at. Overvalued and full of fluff. Shorted DJI for the 2nd time in my life today. 1st time I ever beat the house.

Doesn't it look like a bear market is taking hold? Equities have nowhere else to go. Growth opportunity going forward is looking limited. Corporate profits have declined. All indicators point to a stagnant (at best) economy.
I posted this in another thread but I find it has more relevance here

Quote:
We are due a decent correction and one could argue that due to such high P/Es and the recent trend of boom/bust cycle the correction should be more of a crash.

Volume has steadily declined since 2008 until its about 1/5th of what the daily average in the years before then. This entire bull market has been driven by steadily weaker volume. That it has went on so long is strange to me. Makes me think that something fundamental about the way the market works has changed. That and the last several correction indicators have failed to deliver lead me to believe that there is something artificial sustaining the current bull. I dunno what that is. Could be a function of the HFT barage that has grown rapidly around the same timeline. I dunno, someone with more knowledge about that would have to opine.

I believe the current run up is well above the average without a major correction in both breadth and time.

Many corporations are fudging their profit numbers with creative accounting.

Board members are lining their pockets by using company cash to buy back stocks instead of seeking growth and development.

I feel we are past due for a correction but I wouldn't bet on one happening right now, not in this market. We might be seeing the start now, but it could very well be just a chance to buy the dip. Greece or China could be, and probably will be, the trigger but I wouldn't bet against the current trend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by viktorka View Post
Volatility is still low, trading volume is still low - there are not panic selling yet. By saying that I have also say that each bear market starts from a simple correction. We have just to watch.
Exactly what I am watching also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viktorka View Post
When we have increase in volume (S&P 500 average daily volume is about 20% lover than its average volume at the end of 2007) and or increase in volatility (14-day S&P 500 Absolute ATR move closer to 2%), then we may start to worry about market weakening into a bearish action.

At this point it is too early to speculate about recession or crash.
My above quoted post from the other thread brings up the same point, just stated a different way. I am not ready to bet against this market yet. I need to see some signs of life first. Its very strange to me the way volume has melted lower for so long. Usually a divergence between the price and volume like that leads to a correction/trend change earlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 06:11 AM

1,767 posts, read 1,736,069 times
My concern is if the Greece situation should be viewed as a crystal ball to other QE dependend economies in the future. Greece is at the end of the road and did not & cannot grow out of financial woes. China is stimulating to keep from going into a freefall although the Chinese have been stimulating fake growth for years. Time to pay the piper??

The US is trading at higher multiples and cannot get off the QE tigtrope either without toppling. I guess the answers of is the growth for real or not will be answered in pieces in time suggesting a slower decline then a complete skydive.

Yesterday's computer glitches at United and the NYSE should give a wake up call of what would happen if it was a terrorist attack and what would you do?

Old 07-09-2015, 06:41 AM

26,181 posts, read 21,469,238 times
I hope that house bet wasnt on margin

Old 07-09-2015, 10:13 AM

29,694 posts, read 24,768,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I hope that house bet wasnt on margin
I sold it yesterday. Purchased the day prior. You misread what I wrote. Nowhere did I state I placed a large "bet".

I'm more of a day trader than a traditional investor. I do well when volatility spikes.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:16 AM

2,761 posts, read 3,416,607 times
We can get another wave of sell offs, which will be a good time to buy stuff

Old 07-09-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
I sold it yesterday. Purchased the day prior. You misread what I wrote. Nowhere did I state I placed a large "bet".

I'm more of a day trader than a traditional investor. I do well when volatility spikes.

Another poster picked up the beat the house as bet the house and if you went full turn yesterday why didn't you say that in your first post or since you are actively posting in the thread about real time trades you didn't post it there either

Old 07-09-2015, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Another poster picked up the beat the house as bet the house and if you went full turn yesterday why didn't you say that in your first post or since you are actively posting in the thread about real time trades you didn't post it there either
I day trade for dough, not for show.

I also work 50 hours a week, and have other crap going on. So keeping you abreast of my most recent trades is not on my list of priorities at the moment.

Old 07-09-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
I day trade for dough, not for show.

I also work 50 hours a week, and have other crap going on. So keeping you abreast of my most recent trades is not on my list of priorities at the moment.

I didn't ask you to keep me abreast but I do find the one sided taking interesting

Old 07-13-2015, 03:48 AM

169 posts, read 152,152 times
Stock market acting very resilient through Greece and China. That tells you that the stock market wants to go up. New highs in 15 to 30 days.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:43 PM

Bear market territory yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing