Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 04:48 PM

7,919 posts, read 12,617,497 times

Advertisements

She's worried about Sanders so she is pandering to the "99%" crowd wanting to stick it to the rich. She knows she would never get an idea like that through congress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 08:09 PM

24,329 posts, read 26,739,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Now there's an interesting point, reminds me of a section of history.

As I was told back in the 90's, a reason why Gerald Ford's VP was Rockefeller was because Congress was tired of high officials being bribed.........so they went for someone that no one could afford to bribe.

Whether true or not, it does give an interesting way to view a person.
Yep, I wanted to see his announcement speech to see the context of the Mexico/immigration comments. I watched it with my GF and at the end of it we went from making fun of Trump to actually liking him lol.

He gave an example on how to create and keep jobs in the United States. He spoke about how Ford is planning to build a $2 billion plant in Mexico. He said if he were president he would write a letter or call the CEO (which he knows) saying that he will tax every single part that enters the US at 30-something percent. He said politicians are always full of big promises, but usually nothing gets done because if any other candidate were to say that to Ford, they would end up getting a letter or a phone call from some big donor saying we can't continue supporting you if you go ahead with your plans on taxing Ford, so what ends up happening is they fold because they need their funding and nothing happens. Trump said I don't need their money or support, so when Ford realizes there is no changing his mind, they will end up building that plant in the United States instead. I like his talk on trade deals, acknowledge that other countries and leaders do things better than here etc. It seems every politician has never traveled abroad because they pretty much refuse to admit another country does or has something better than the United States. Anyways, don't want to turn this too political lol.

Clinton increasing taxes on capital gains is something I will not support because we are already taking big risks for those gains.

Old 07-25-2015, 08:24 PM

26,155 posts, read 21,396,009 times
Trump is a joke playing a publicity game. If your wish comes true you are going to be highly disappointed imo

Old 07-25-2015, 08:32 PM

40,925 posts, read 48,883,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Trump is a joke playing a publicity game. If your wish comes true you are going to be highly disappointed imo
Got to be better than the Dem currently in office and the ones who now seek it.

Too many lies have come out of this Presidency. It's refreshing to hear Trump call it as it is.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:20 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,495,842 times
id make capital gains equal to income with no difference between long term and short term. then id cut the income tax rate to a flat 15% across the board.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:38 PM

24,329 posts, read 26,739,713 times
Quote:
I don't think he is joking because his run has already cost him millions, not just in expenses but also losing business partnerships etc. I'm tired of politicians that are owned by some corporation or union. It's time we get a person who doesn't need to worry about biting the hand that feeds him.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:43 PM

33,780 posts, read 16,782,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
She also wants daily disclosure of stock buybacks rather then the current quarterly disclosure.

I am not a Hillary cheerleader, but I am impressed with this. Both points seem like very good, practical proposals to me.

I'm very impressed with her plan, as it rewards Long-term investors.

Old 07-26-2015, 11:06 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,005,890 times
The top, top tier will hire enough lawyers to find a way around it. She's well aware of this.

You get to keep your Medicare surtax of 3.8

Old 07-26-2015, 11:18 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,495,842 times
Quote:
we are used to being disappointed by our politicians. I don't really care who wins so im tempted to support trump. someone that isn't a politician cant be worse than a politician. the fact that the other politicians from both parties and the media seem to oppose him makes him even more attractive.

Old 07-26-2015, 04:49 PM

166 posts, read 163,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Under Clinton’s proposal, investments held between one and two years would be taxed at the normal income-tax rate of 39.6%, nearly double the existing 20% capital gains rate.

Only the top 0.5% of taxpayers would be impacted by the plan, which also falls in line with Democratic calls for cracking down on the immense wealth generated by ostensibly manipulative practices on Wall Street.

Clinton’s plan would collect revenue from top-bracket taxpayers’ stock holdings on a sliding scale, with the lowest rate applied to investments held the longest. To qualify for the existing 20% rate, investors would have to hold an investment for at least six years.

She also wants daily disclosure of stock buybacks rather then the current quarterly disclosure.
It is not 2008 when the unemployment was high and desperate people was trying to find who to blame and "lets tax 0.5 of richest" was like cure for them. Situation is now different and the same card may not work.

Even when it is a good and practical proposal, now, we have lowest unemployment in many years. People have a job and they are afraid to loose it. If democrats will continue to scream lets put more tax weight on corporations it may fire back as republicans will say that under heavier taxes, corporations will move abroad which will lead to massive layoffs. The corporations are already hit by a strong dollar, Ford is already moving out and people still remember what does it mean to lose a job...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing