Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 06:41 AM

1,901 posts, read 1,829,191 times

Advertisements

Lol, look at the LOGIC here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
jotucker ,give it up with your explanations already.

we already said you would all ways have made money selling at any point 15 years or longer in the past and while the odds of it continuing are good they are not guaranteed just as nothing in life is .

Stop comparing apples to oranges with this "nothing is guaranteed in life, we don't know if the Sun will come out tomorrow" type of logic. We are talking specifically about the value of PAPER ASSETS going up over time, that's it. I don't want to see you guys discuss what the Sun or the Moon does, totally different area, totally different branch of Science, we are discussing Economics here (Social Science) so keep it here.

they are still the best passive investment choice for growing money over the long term .

HOW do you know this? What are you basing it on BESIDES past performance? If all you are going on is past performance that's a weak argument. Past performance does not guarantee future performance damn it.

don't want to do it ? that is fine , but there are millions of investors who see it differently .

Because they are socially programmed, conditioned and brainwashed to believe Stocks are the only way. It's why you have THE CHOIR jump up in here to "attack" me but can't logically debunk ONE detail of my argument against Stocks. I have yet to have anyone of you guys do it. All you throw out is Personal Attacks like Low E saying, "Ha! Tucker99 is misinformed!" But yet he won't debunk a single detail, concept or argument I make line by line. He will just say you are misinformed and play semantics all day.

why you are ever comparing working , whether you own the business or not to passive investing which is what you do with the money you make from earning a living just escapes us.

I bring up Business Investing as an alternative to Stocks, there's other types of investments that are alternatives as well but they don't get the Press, the attention, the fame, the media coverage, etc. that Stocks get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 06:43 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
as i said , give it up. the facts are what they are , the future is unknown , but i would still feel confident enough and the odds are on my side that 15 years from now we will be higher .

working an active business is no substitute for passive investing ,. they are as different as night and day and serve different purposes .

i am retired at a fairly young age , 62 , , do you think i want to work a business ? not on your life .

in fact my passive investing on the money i made working is what has grown over the decades and allowed me to retire .

Old 08-11-2015, 06:45 AM

Quote:
as i said , give it up. the facts are what they are , the future is unknown , but i would still feel confidend 15 years from now we will be higher .
Yes, the facts are what they are, STOCK investing is gambling. Period.

Now I'm going to ask you once again, why are you so confident Stocks will be higher if held for 15 plus years? Why? What are you basing it on? Is it totally on past performance or do you have some type of analysis, trend analysis, financial analysis, chart, bar graph, ANYTHING that can show me why paper assets are going to increase over the next 10 - 30 years based on XYZ occurrence OVER THE NEXT 10 - 30 YEARS in the Global and Macro Economy?

Can you give me something like that? I would love to see it. Again, something that is based on where we are GOING, not where we have BEEN.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:48 AM

i am done

Old 08-11-2015, 06:49 AM

Quote:
i am done
Yeah you are done, because you CAN'T answer the question. None of you can.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:50 AM

show us proof your business will be around in 20 years or you will sell it at a profit , you can't . . i would sooner bet on the 500 largest companies in america .

Old 08-11-2015, 06:55 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
Yes, the facts are what they are, STOCK investing is gambling. Period.

Now I'm going to ask you once again, why are you so confident Stocks will be higher if held for 15 plus years? Why? What are you basing it on? Is it totally on past performance or do you have some type of analysis, trend analysis, financial analysis, chart, bar graph, ANYTHING that can show me why paper assets are going to increase over the next 10 - 30 years based on XYZ occurrence OVER THE NEXT 10 - 30 YEARS in the Global and Macro Economy?

Can you give me something like that? I would love to see it. Again, something that is based on where we are GOING, not where we have BEEN.
Any investment be it the stock market, CDs or your business can been seen as a gamble just as doing nothing with your cash could be as well. Your business and your "calculated" profit margins are also based on history or historical actions.

It's comical trying to watch you swim upstream and makeup things as your only saving life raft to hang on to. No one said what you projected, you couldn't back it up so now it's time to shift the argument

Old 08-11-2015, 06:55 AM

Quote:
show us proof your business will be around in 20 years or you will sell it at a profit , you can't . . i would sooner bet on the 500 largest companies in america .
We have to do 3 year and 5 year prospective analysis reports for business planning. I can show you 3 - 5 year reports. Now can you show me a 3 -5 year report going forward for any particular Stock Fund? That's what I'm asking you MathJak.

I understand you providing me a historical performance, but if I put my money in something today (8/11/2015) with a focus on keeping it there for 10 years (8/11/2025) I need you to TELL ME what the next 10 years is going to be like in terms of forecasts, trends, potential profit, potential risks, changes, management changes, new products, new markets, etc. of the companies I'm investing in so I can PREDICT paper asset value growth over the next 10 years.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:59 AM

i would never attempt to predict market moves short term , they are random . . but i would certainly feel pretty confident 15 years or more over the long term we will be higher .

who says your projections mean a thing . business's fail daily with the most lovely looking projections.

which is why so many fail over the longer term . i trust those 500 biggest companies more than i trust your ability , that is for sure .

Old 08-11-2015, 07:01 AM

Quote:
i would never attempt to predict market moves short term , they are random . . but i would certainly feel pretty confident long term we will be higher .

who says your projections mean a thing . business's fail daily with the most lovely looking projections.

which is why so many fail over the longer term .
Get off the "business investing" concept and stay with me on Stocks for a minute. Stay with me RIGHT HERE on Stocks.

Now you say that you would never attempt what Stock paper values would do in short term (3 - 5 years), okay, can you predict long term then which is 15 - 30 years based on the variables I provided including prospective profit, revenues, new products, new market developments, etc. of particular companies or particular funds that include particular companies? Not what they have DONE, but what they are going to DO, based on these variables?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing