Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2015, 05:22 PM

106,658 posts, read 108,810,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
Lol, put it like this, I don't need a Trinity Study to prove "competency".

All I need is a disciplined plan to make as much money from my work/career as possible and continue to have expenses low/tax reduction in place so I can put away a good amount in savings every year with a portion in retirement accounts and a portion outside of retirement accounts.

As long as my savings are growing, safe, insured on average of 3.5% between now and age 65 (which they will once the Fed increases rates) I will be all set.

Will $1 million be in 2048 what it is in 2015? Most likely not. But what it WILL BE is damn more than 90% plus of people in retirement will have. My Generation, the Millennials, are going to have a very tough time going forward and for a Millennial to do what I'm going to do, they are a ROCK STAR.

So unlike you MathJak, I don't "prove my competency" through how many academic studies I can regurgitate, I prove my competency through ACTION.

In that regard, you are like an old fashioned brick and mortar college degree, and I'm like one of the new 21st century Competency Degrees
except no one cares what you think or your opinions so if you want to argue here you better bring academic study's and data from the brightest minds on the subject or don't waste everyone's time with nonsense you believe to be true .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 05:28 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,976,217 times
Quote:
Lol, put it like this, I don't need a Trinity Study to prove "competency".

All I need is a disciplined plan to make as much money from my work/career as possible and continue to have expenses low/tax reduction in place so I can put away a good amount in savings every year with a portion in retirement accounts and a portion outside of retirement accounts.

As long as my savings are growing, safe, insured on average of 3.5% between now and age 65 (which they will once the Fed increases rates) I will be all set.

Will $1 million be in 2048 what it is in 2015? Most likely not. But what it WILL BE is damn more than 90% plus of people in retirement will have. My Generation, the Millennials, are going to have a very tough time going forward and for a Millennial to do what I'm going to do, they are a ROCK STAR.

So unlike you MathJak, I don't "prove my competency" through how many academic studies I can regurgitate, I prove my competency through ACTION.

In that regard, you are like an old fashioned brick and mortar college degree, and I'm like one of the new 21st century Competency Degrees
Jo,

Do you know how to become a wise old man? If you don't, it's by making mistakes while you're young. After reading this, all I can think of is you're trying to acquire the financial wisdom that many of us already have. Good luck and hope you acquire your wisdom sooner than later.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:47 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:

You've already accepted an assumed 1.5% inflation rate so 42% of your return is gone before taxes including taxes you are looking at returns around 1% in taxable accounts

Quote:
Why compare yourself against underperformers? Big fish in a little pond I guess

Quote:

I'd rather be the guy with 7 figures and possibly a multiple of that than a kid who is dreaming of getting there

Old 08-26-2015, 05:57 PM

bada bing ! as tuborg would say .

Old 08-26-2015, 10:19 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,297,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
bada bing ! as tuborg would say .
Do you think the 600+ gain marks the end of the 'correction'?

Old 08-27-2015, 12:23 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,301,951 times
Quote:
Who is "we" lol? You think I'm the only CD guy on City Data don't you ?
You clearly have no clue. Just enjoy being ignorant. It's apparently all you have to hang onto. Well, and your CDs. LOL.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:35 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,301,951 times
Quote:
I take bits and pieces of what Ramsey says, for example when he starts talking about how "any debt" is stupid, I turn him off because that mantra makes no sense.

I try to learn from everybody but I only apply what fits my investing style. I'm not a buy/hold, ride a roller coaster type of investor. I have never liked roller coasters, when we would go to the damn carnival or Cedar Point, I would always sit on the bench until everybody got off lol.

I was called a "punk" then for not riding the roller coaster and I'm called a "punk" now by you guys for not riding THIS roller coaster. But that's okay, I'm having the time of my life riding The CD Carousel
If I were you I'd dollar cost average into CDs. When you run out of money in retirement, at least you will have been a man of conviction!! That's really all that matters.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
Do you think the 600+ gain marks the end of the 'correction'?
don't know but i will bet in the long term if you were not telling the story you wouldn't remember it happened . for now i doubt that is the end of the volatility . i wouldn't be surprised to see the lowstested again , maybe by next week .

Old 08-27-2015, 04:48 AM

658 posts, read 724,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
don't know but i will bet in the long term if you were not telling the story you wouldn't remember it happened . for now i doubt that is the end of the volatility . i wouldn't be surprised to see the lowstested again , maybe by next week .
agreed. The market is too volatile to predict.

Old 08-27-2015, 05:07 AM

while past returns reflect just that and can give you a best case and worst case that we had giving you an idea of what the investment did prior but it all boils down to your own time frame .

it is like taking a job on commission . there are risks and rewards and at time the rewards may be high or at times low . i always liked working on commission . i had very few lean years and many very very good years . i always preferred it to looking in some lower salary with no chance of doing better . in my investing time frame the markets did the same up to date . .

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-27-2015 at 05:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing