Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you considering buying any "Energy" names ?
Yes 15 35.71%
No 14 33.33%
Maybe 10 23.81%
I'm not buying any stocks in any sector 3 7.14%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 02:44 PM

128 posts, read 116,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I would finally agree that buying some high quality energy stocks wouldn't be a bad time now. It's impossible to know when is the best time though. I bought XOM, CVX and EOG on Friday, but only half positions in each.
The easy money has been made since late August in the O&G space. Next is some volatility followed by a longer-term up trend. Still great buys at these levels, but there will be more volatility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 02:54 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Money View Post
The easy money has been made since late August in the O&G space. Next is some volatility followed by a longer-term up trend. Still great buys at these levels, but there will be more volatility.
That's not called easy money, that's called guessing a bottom, which is why most traders end up getting out after their first stock market crash.

And right now the trend is not an uptrend, it's a potential bottom that is consolidating. We need to see consistent higher highs and higher lows, before we can call it an uptrend, which is why I started a half-size position in the stocks I mentioned.

Old 10-05-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
That's not called easy money, that's called guessing a bottom, which is why most traders end up getting out after their first stock market crash.

And right now the trend is not an uptrend, it's a potential bottom that is consolidating. We need to see consistent higher highs and higher lows, before we can call it an uptrend, which is why I started a half-size position in the stocks I mentioned.
I call making 25%-30%+ average on O&G trades since the end of August easy money. I have been around long enough trading to know when something has reached a point of capitulation regardless of what the tech charts say. Is it always a bottom? No. But I also don't miss out on easy gains. O&G names had about 6-8 months of crash and capitulation. I was patient and waited. That was long enough for me to know I wouldn't be wrong for long on quality names. Have executed multiple trades in O&G names since late August and a couple netted 50%. Again, tech charts would have told me to do otherwise.

Old 10-05-2015, 03:40 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
I call making 25%-30%+ average on O&G trades since the end of August easy money. I have been around long enough trading to know when something has reached a point of capitulation regardless of what the tech charts say. Is it always a bottom? No. But I also don't miss out on easy gains. O&G names had about 6-8 months of crash and capitulation. I was patient and waited. That was long enough for me to know I wouldn't be wrong for long on quality names. Have executed multiple trades in O&G names since late August and a couple netted 50%. Again, tech charts would have told me to do otherwise.
When people say words like "i know" or "I feel" it's just a crap shoot in my opinion, but if it's been working for you long-term then don't stop doing it.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Got back in PVA yesterday at .84. Looking for at least another 50% gain like last time, but probably will also not happen as quickly as last time either. Good spec play.
Sold my second round of PVA at $1.07 this morning. Wanted to wait for another 50% gain like my first time trading it, but the stock has been up 30+% last three trading days. Crazy. 50% and then another 25%+ within a month on PVA trades. I'll take it. Buying more if it retraces much.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:58 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,485,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
I'm hearing more and more pundits sounding bullish on oil.
That probably means prices are going to drop.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:07 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,235,559 times
I'll be adding to my COP and PSX positions. I haven't added to them in about a year and my has COP fallen.

Old 10-15-2015, 01:45 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i bought xom near the close on friday .
so far so good , up 12% since i bought

Old 10-15-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
so far so good , up 12% since i bought
Good example of buying when the blood was in the streets. Majority were extremely bearish, and now you are sitting on a 12% gain in one month.

Old 10-15-2015, 02:52 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
it was a no briainer since if oil falls to low it will drive the marginal guys out and exxon can buy them up at low prices .

if oil goes up instead exxon still wins .

i never try to catch a falling knife trying to guess what low is but exxon was an exception since i felt either way they will win .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing