Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 08:05 AM

54 posts, read 78,717 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I have been reading a lot of articles and learning about the stocks and shares. I am very new to Trading world and really would appreciate if you guys can direct me some good websites where I can learn and understand more about it. Also I want to open an account with Scotrade or Fidelity, Which one you think is the best or there are any other that you can recommend. Also any stocks to watch for as a beginner. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 12:07 PM

422 posts, read 412,288 times
less than 1% of "traders" actually make money off of it long term. You are competing against machines that can trade 1000000xs faster than you with billion dollar firms backing them. Good luck

Old 09-18-2015, 12:28 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,946,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabii View Post
Hello Everyone,

I have been reading a lot of articles and learning about the stocks and shares. I am very new to Trading world and really would appreciate if you guys can direct me some good websites where I can learn and understand more about it. Also I want to open an account with Scotrade or Fidelity, Which one you think is the best or there are any other that you can recommend. Also any stocks to watch for as a beginner. Thank you.
To be a successful trader you need to understand technical analysis. I've been doing it for a very long time and have had great success. I would recommend reading this book, even professionals have referred to it as the bible.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/073...ilpage_o00_s00

Old 09-18-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseo1 View Post
less than 1% of "traders" actually make money off of it long term. You are competing against machines that can trade 1000000xs faster than you with billion dollar firms backing them. Good luck
You are not competing with the machines. Most traders lose money because they don't have any clue what they are doing and let their emotions control their actions.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
You are not competing with the machines. Most traders lose money because they don't have any clue what they are doing and let their emotions control their actions.
haha ok sure buddy, whatever you say.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
haha ok sure buddy, whatever you say.
You think the rich are out to kill every man, woman and child. I remember you from the politics forum

Don't blame your failures on the system. If I did that, I wouldn't be anywhere near where I am today.

Old 09-18-2015, 01:21 PM

879 posts, read 1,962,237 times
Quote:
You are competing against machines that can trade 1000000xs faster than you with billion dollar firms backing them.
Traders aren't competing against machines any more than long-term investors are competing against swing traders. Different trades, different criteria, different time frames, different goals.

Wish I had a dollar for everyone who thinks that, though.

Old 09-18-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongArm View Post
Traders aren't competing against machines any more than long-term investors are competing against swing traders. Different trades, different criteria, different time frames, different goals.

Armchair "experts" ITT, if you knew you would be making a killing off of them not posting on CD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
You think the rich are out to kill every man, woman and child. I remember you from the politics forum

Don't blame your failures on the system. If I did that, I wouldn't be anywhere near where I am today.

Wasnt me chief, you got the wrong guy

Old 09-18-2015, 02:32 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,780,861 times
Quote:

The other poster probably copied and pasted some info he read about day traders who have suffered at the speed of program trading. Day traders try to profit on very small price movements and might lose out to program trading that can execute a lot faster. For traders with a longer time horizon, the speed of program trading is not a problem because they don't try to profit from small price movements. That is not say that a lot of them won't end up losing, but program trading is not the reason they lose.

Old 09-18-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:

Exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing