Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 02:47 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,773,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
I just don't see how trading stocks and holding stocks are that BIG of a difference in terms of gambling? When you buy/hold forever, how do you know you are going to end up 20 - 40 years down the line with a higher paper value than what you bought in at?
No one buys and hold forever. It is understood that you can not hold forever. The term buy and hold has its root in the mutual industry, as they want money in the funds for as long as possible so they can collect fees. Most people are probably not aware that stocks inside a mutual fund are actively traded everyday.

A trailing stop is used to lock in the gain and protect against loses. The trailing stop will follow the price at whatever percentage you set it at. Thus you can hold until that trailing stop is triggered.

Last edited by davidt1; 09-23-2015 at 03:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 02:55 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,928,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
I just don't see how trading stocks and holding stocks are that BIG of a difference in terms of gambling? When you buy/hold forever, how do you know you are going to end up 20 - 40 years down the line with a higher paper value than what you bought in at?
And this kind of thinking is why you have idiots marching in the 99% against Wall Street. In reality, Wall Street is the best chance for people being able to have a retirement.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:05 AM

103 posts, read 159,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
And this kind of thinking is why you have idiots marching in the 99% against Wall Street. In reality, Wall Street is the best chance for people being able to have a retirement.
You say that like it's a good thing.

Old 09-24-2015, 04:02 AM

106,547 posts, read 108,696,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
No one buys and hold forever. It is understood that you can not hold forever. The term buy and hold has its root in the mutual industry, as they want money in the funds for as long as possible so they can collect fees. Most people are probably not aware that stocks inside a mutual fund are actively traded everyday.

A trailing stop is used to lock in the gain and protect against loses. The trailing stop will follow the price at whatever percentage you set it at. Thus you can hold until that trailing stop is triggered.

mutual funds are not buy and hold forever , they have someone who makes the decision to buy and sell other than you so you do not have to .

as far as stops loss , they are the best way to get burned .

the flash crash we just had where stocks opened almost 1000 points lower executed at the opening prices which were as much as 10% lower then where stop losses were set .

you don't get the stop loss price , you get the executed price .

i thought i was shrewd having stop losses and trailing stops on some of my etf's , just in case .

well what i surprise i woke up to as they were executed at the early morning lows at prices way below the trigger points only to have them recover 900 points later ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing