Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 03:18 AM

106,557 posts, read 108,713,667 times

Advertisements

well john certainly nailed his 2006 forecast so he gave his forecast for the next 10 years in a recent interview .

the results his math gives him is quite below average

Bogle: Tough Decade Ahead for Equity Investors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 06:26 AM

1,767 posts, read 1,741,523 times
There are always signs of why the market can faulter as well as increase. I am & have been concerned that the market has been stretched with a P/E of 26 when the median is 16. Throw in the Fed wanting to increase rates which has potential to crimp corporate earnings hence making the market even more overvalued.

Without getting into too many variables with facts & figures thanks for the link

Old 11-01-2015, 09:38 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,108,070 times
Jack Boogle is a smart guy who lives and breathes investments. His predictions may or may not come true but I certainly am not impressed with his analysis. In fact he seemed to shoot himself in the foot when he argued the case for continuing stock market and bond investments because there is nothing else.

The P/E argument is something that seems to come up constantly not just from Boogle but from a lot of know-nothing, talking heads. Sure a high P/E ratio could occur in an over heated stock market. That hardly seems the case at this time with instead very cautious investors. Overall the P/E is a very poor predictor of future stock market behavior. Everyone, including Boogle, seems to ignore the changes in P/E that occurred due to changes in accounting practices. Due to the changes, companies have lower overall taxable earnings. Unfortunately the effect varies greatly from company to company. Coming up with an overall number that reflects average changes in P/E is difficult. The analysis I have seen indicates that instead of 15-16 as the historical average, the new average should be about 19-20 based on the changes in accounting practices.

It seems clear that we have had some extremely good stock market performance over the past few years. It seems reasonable to expect that level of performance will cool down. Certainly this past year helps confirm that idea. Anything more specific seems to be just a guess.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:42 AM

30,891 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
well john certainly nailed his 2006 forecast so he gave his forecast for the next 10 years in a recent interview .

the results his math gives him is quite below average

Bogle: Tough Decade Ahead for Equity Investors
That link didn't work for me.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:19 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,686,358 times
Quote:
I am & have been concerned that the market has been stretched with a P/E of 26 when the median is 16.
Current S&P 500 PE is 21.91. S&P 500 PE Ratio
In the last 20 years PE's don't get stretched until they get into the 30 to 40 range. If you believe in head a shoulder formations then 30 to 40 would make sense.

Old 11-06-2015, 11:25 PM

947 posts, read 787,043 times
He's saying the same thing I've been hearing from a number of other money managers for a year now.

Old 11-07-2015, 03:09 AM

low rates are the difference . that puts dividends in a very low range and dividends account for 1/3 of the markets gains historically .

the yield on the s&p is only 2% today .

historically it is 4%

Old 11-07-2015, 06:10 AM

Here's a new negative- jobs report possibly giving Fed confidence to start the rate increasing process. That should cause some renewed volatility in the near term.

My personal thought it the unemployment rate is bunk- I think there are a ton of long term unemployed and underemployed Americans out there so the numbers are skewed. I think corporations are struggling to meet quarterly numbers and are relying on other means such as M&A/ Share repurchases & cap ex reductions to meet. Just my 2 cents but go ahead and raise rates.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:14 AM

they are likely just as skewed the other way too by those who are unemployed because today they are not employable and won't be .

many can't pass back ground checks , credit checks and drug testing which is more and more becoming part of the filter to see who gets employed .

that does not mean there aren't jobs , it means there are no jobs for them .

when i was working we were hiring like crazy for years and still are . but those who can even get to first base are few and far between and we have not even got to job skills yet . .

Old 11-07-2015, 06:36 AM

I don't disagree with your mentioning the unemployable but just in my small circle of friends etc. I know many that have education/ experience etc. that have decided on early retirement or are having issues from competition from younger and lower salaried individuals. Then I know some younger folks having issues because they lack the experience. I also feel the electronic hiring process is in all reality hindered quality applicants because they may be missing a key word in their resume or whatever.

We can discuss the issues of employment landscape all day long but my point is/was to expect increased volatility simply based on fed's willingness to increase rates and even though should be quite minor will cause a drag that the economy will need to be strong enough to absorb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing