Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 08:01 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,140,233 times

Advertisements

I want to see flames and baby boomers jumping out of windows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 08:45 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,687,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
The time to sell was 2 months ago.
Yes! Only the stupid money is panicking and selling now. They sell after the crash (low), then buy back in when everything has calmed down (and the market has gone higher).

Old 01-08-2016, 03:09 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
Yes! Only the stupid money is panicking and selling now. They sell after the crash (low), then buy back in when everything has calmed down (and the market has gone higher).

This is why people should not watch CNBC or listen to stock analysts.. they always rate stocks strong buys at tops after they've gone up 300% in 2 years while giving sell ratings and telling people to pull out of the market after the market is down 20%... they give emotional, momentum driven advice. They are not very good at spotting bargains, bottoms, or reversals. The time to sell is when bullishness was at 90%... early November... here with bullishness at 46% we shouldn't be far from a short term bottom... we may have bottomed yesterday.. I hope not but it's possible.

Longer term of course it depends on the economic data... we are overdue for a recession now after 7ish years. The stock market is still rich here though admittedly there are a lot of stocks that are not overvalued... this seems to be a big cap growth driven rally. Why some stocks languish with low multiples while others can sport uber multiples has more to do with human emotion and institutional interest than anything... when the organic growth slows in your big high flying tech stock though look out below.. or when the hype dies down (GPRO)

This is really a market by the rich, for the rich... the top 1% of where all that liquidity sits around... everyone else, the average joe, just invests in mutual or index funds that go into the same boring list of stable names that your average "financial adviser" that overcharges to manage your money will put them into.

Last edited by sholomar; 01-08-2016 at 03:23 AM..

Old 01-08-2016, 03:12 AM

106,653 posts, read 108,790,719 times
in 2008 i thought we bottomed when we fell 2000 points . who knew we had 4,000 more to go .

Old 01-08-2016, 04:22 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,253,631 times
Futures show it is going to open up today, I am hoping for a big day up for a change.
Stock Futures of Major World Indexes - Bloomberg
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	164037

Old 01-08-2016, 08:15 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,140,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
Stuff Baby Boomers tell themselves that's not true for $1000 Alex.

A lot of the volume in these huge drops is not caused by individual investor hitting the panic button.

The market is highly over-valued right now.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:28 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,628,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Stuff Baby Boomers tell themselves that's not true for $1000 Alex.

A lot of the volume in these huge drops is not caused by individual investor hitting the panic button.

The market is highly over-valued right now.
The Russell 2000 is trading at a trailing earnings P/E of 150. I would say that highly over-valued is one way to put it. Astronomical levels would be another.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:55 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,052,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
The Russell 2000 is trading at a trailing earnings P/E of 150. I would say that highly over-valued is one way to put it. Astronomical levels would be another.
Lots of small caps with negative earnings. I don't really follow small caps much, so can't say if it's a real problem.

The DJ Industrials' trailing p/e is about 15.5. Transports are at 12.5, and Utilities are at 17.5. Those are not crazy numbers.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:05 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,628,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Lots of small caps with negative earnings. I don't really follow small caps much, so can't say if it's a real problem.

The DJ Industrials' trailing p/e is about 15.5. Transports are at 12.5, and Utilities are at 17.5. Those are not crazy numbers.
The Schiller Cyclical P/E for the S&P is at 25 which is 50% above its historic mean. No guarantee that this Bubble will burst as all of the previous ones, but if it does, a 30-50% retracement is highly probable. It all depends upon whether Fischer prints a few more trillion dollars to bail out the stock market gamblers. It's a 50-50 bet on what Fischer decides to do. My guess is that the Billionaires have sold (insiders have been selling at a record rate over there last year) and there will be no more free money to levitate the market. But at the end it is all a bet.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:06 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,052,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
The Schiller Cyclical P/E for the S&P is at 25 which is 50% above its historic mean.
Something is out of whack with his indicator. It's been above the historic mean for all but a few months of the time I've been investing (close to 25 years now). Just take 2011 as an example. There were many excellent stock values that year, with the CAPE sitting the the low 20s. I don't know what's going on with it, but the CAPE is not of any practical use IMO.

I look at the p/e for many individual stocks, which gives a much better feel for where values are sitting. By doing this, even in 1999 one could see that there were many reasonably-priced stocks even with the market indicators all (correctly) screaming danger.

I know this will sound trite, but just buy good quality when the prices are sensible and hold for the long term. I cannot guess when the next bear market will happen, nor how far the market will drop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing