Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 01:31 PM

4,625 posts, read 3,362,178 times

Advertisements

The link below is to a story summarizing research about the mutual fund industry.

The results are perhaps not surprising: most mutual funds, despite professional/active management, under perform the market as a whole. In addition, the fees charged are high relative to other low cost index funds. There is also a reference to the published letter that Warren Buffet gave to his children regarding his investment advice: invest in low-cost index funds which mirror the market.

Actively managed mutual funds rarely ever pay off as well as low-cost index funds.

So here is my question: I work for a large company and I participate in the 401(k) program. The current match is 3.0%. The 401(K) options are all actively managed mutual funds. There are no low cost index funds or ETF's which I find really frustrating.

Am I wasting my money by contributing 10.0% every pay period? Should I participate only up to the 3% company match and put the rest into an IRA comprised of low cost index funds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 02:04 PM

6,594 posts, read 7,263,609 times
You omitted what charges you currently incurring.
My assumption is that your large company has a large 401k fund and you are charged fees that are less than retail investors. Thus you probably cannot buy the same funds at a lower price.

You will have to lobby HR for some low costs indexes.

Seems that the company could do better on investment choices, so based on what you said I would invest up to the match and put the rest in my own retirement account. Probably a ROTH IRA.

Old 01-08-2016, 02:17 PM

15,932 posts, read 12,204,194 times
I only put in what my company matches and no more which was lowered to 5% recently. They also let us buy company stock though at a 15% discount, up to 10% of our paycheck. I've been doing this since October 2011... so I do invest 15% of my check. The company stock just goes into a regular fidelity brokerage account.

Unless the expenses are that much higher or you are a savvy investor who wants more investing options I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 01-08-2016, 02:53 PM

4,353 posts, read 4,299,538 times
Our 401K set-up is similar but I still contribute max ($18K plus make-up) so my tax burden is less. I assign quite a bit to a part of the plan is basically just cash on hand.

Old 01-08-2016, 03:19 PM

4,625 posts, read 3,362,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
You omitted what charges you currently incurring.
My assumption is that your large company has a large 401k fund and you are charged fees that are less than retail investors. Thus you probably cannot buy the same funds at a lower price.

You will have to lobby HR for some low costs indexes.

Seems that the company could do better on investment choices, so based on what you said I would invest up to the match and put the rest in my own retirement account. Probably a ROTH IRA.

Good point and I admit I am not sure how much the fees we are charged are. I just assumed it was similar to what a retail investor pays. I need to look into that. Given how large the firm is I would guess we get a discount of some sort.

Old 01-08-2016, 03:30 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,458,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Good point and I admit I am not sure how much the fees we are charged are. I just assumed it was similar to what a retail investor pays. I need to look into that. Given how large the firm is I would guess we get a discount of some sort.
My employer has vanguard as their custodian and we can invest in vanguard Wellington admiral which is a 50k minimum fund to retail investors. Very very low expense ratio for this fund.

Old 01-08-2016, 04:45 PM

3,075 posts, read 5,627,462 times
As much as many people think 401k's are great (I'm not saying they are all bad), the choices in many of these 401k's get you stuck into high expense funds. I would just invest the 3% for the match and do a Roth IRA and then invest in other low cost funds (Vanguard is always good) outside. You also have more flexibility with your money/funds if they aren't stuck in a 401K or Roth IRA where you would pay penalties to pull money out.

Old 01-08-2016, 05:19 PM

26,165 posts, read 21,415,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
As much as many people think 401k's are great (I'm not saying they are all bad), the choices in many of these 401k's get you stuck into high expense funds. I would just invest the 3% for the match and do a Roth IRA and then invest in other low cost funds (Vanguard is always good) outside. You also have more flexibility with your money/funds if they aren't stuck in a 401K or Roth IRA where you would pay penalties to pull money out.

Well with a Roth you can always withdrawal your contributions at any time without penalty or tax issues so your knock against them really is lacking merit

Old 01-09-2016, 08:43 AM

3,075 posts, read 5,627,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Well with a Roth you can always withdrawal your contributions at any time without penalty or tax issues so your knock against them really is lacking merit
You pay a penalty if you withdraw money from a Roth IRA unless you use it to buy a house (up to $10,000), for a bad injury or disability, or you die and it is transferred to beneficiaries. You can't just withdraw money from your Roth IRA before 59 1/2 as you wish.

Old 01-09-2016, 09:00 AM

879 posts, read 1,957,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
You pay a penalty if you withdraw money from a Roth IRA unless you use it to buy a house (up to $10,000), for a bad injury or disability, or you die and it is transferred to beneficiaries. You can't just withdraw money from your Roth IRA before 59 1/2 as you wish.
No, you're wrong. CONTRIBUTIONS to a Roth IRA can be withdrawn at any time for any reason without tax or penalty, as previously stated. Earnings are another story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing