Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2016, 02:57 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,062,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I couldn't have put it better myself.

The problem is that Jo is a conspiracy theorist and thinks the system is rigged. It seems no rational argument will sway him otherwise.

Wait.....you DON'T think the system is rigged???!!!!

Ummm....then Jo's not the irrational one.

There is no doubt it is controlled & manipulated (therefore "RIGGED").....key is to be able to read the tea leaves and watch how it being manipulated in order to make a profit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 03:00 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,167,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post

There is no doubt it is controlled & manipulated (therefore "RIGGED").....key is to be able to read the tea leaves and watch how it being manipulated in order to make a profit.
Sure looks rigged to me.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:12 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post

Somewhat rigged in some ways, but certainly not in the sense and to the extent that he is so quick to assume.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:28 PM

2,170 posts, read 1,954,574 times
I believe its all about balance. I'm 30 so I have time to ride out the downs and can put my money in slightly riskier investments to try and yield a higher return in the long run. But at the same time I want to focus on my end game and be safe. I've been considering long term real estate investing, not for the rate of return, but because in 30 years it will be paid off when I'm 60 and I'll always have a steady cashflow coming in. I look at it almost as a pension that someone else is paying for along the way. My father is a handy man and getting ready to retire, I could have him as a property manager and hopefully be a win win situation. I just know the world I live in today is very different from the one my parents grew up in, and I'm not counting on having social security in 35 years.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:39 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
I believe its all about balance. I'm 30 so I have time to ride out the downs and can put my money in slightly riskier investments to try and yield a higher return in the long run. But at the same time I want to focus on my end game and be safe. I've been considering long term real estate investing, not for the rate of return, but because in 30 years it will be paid off when I'm 60 and I'll always have a steady cashflow coming in. I look at it almost as a pension that someone else is paying for along the way. My father is a handy man and getting ready to retire, I could have him as a property manager and hopefully be a win win situation. I just know the world I live in today is very different from the one my parents grew up in, and I'm not counting on having social security in 35 years.
Cash flow is overrated. Total return matters more as long as you don't run into problems with liquidity, even if the latter sometimes requires a cash infusion.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:43 PM

1,901 posts, read 1,828,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
I just know the world I live in today is very different from the one my parents grew up in, and I'm not counting on having social security in 35 years.
The world is very different today for us Millennials than it was for our Baby Boomer Parents.

- Social Security will be different for us

- The job market is different for us

- The educational system is different for us

- The purchasing power of the dollar is different for us

- The credit market is different for us

But also understand, the trading markets are different for us as well. Back during the Baby Boomer days, it WAS about picking great, stable, growth based companies with good earnings to put your passive monies into in terms of stock paper.

Today, you have a Global NWO manipulating the stock market so that big corporations get paid off, while the little man in bank savings and CDs gets screwed over.

It didn't used to be back in the Baby Boomer days, that you HAD to put your money into the trading markets to try to get a decent return. People with moderate/conservative risk tolerance could get a great return just slapping their money in a bank CD with FDIC insurance (up to $100k back then).

Now with the corruption and in a way to PAY OFF executives in big corporations, the Global NWO takes down the fed funds rate to 0% or NEGATIVE, causing the little man to have to pull money out of savings/CDs and into the markets to continue the Ponzi Scheme of PUMPING UP appreciation for the big corporations and big investors.

Then when it all comes crashing down, those big corporations and investors will somehow be either bailed out or they will get their money and BAIL OUT before the crash comes. The one that will get hurt (like it happens time and time again) will be the little man as he always stands around scratching his head wondering what in the HELL just happened

Old 02-05-2016, 03:55 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,167,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post

It didn't used to be back in the Baby Boomer days, that you HAD to put your money into the trading markets to try to get a decent return. People with moderate/conservative risk tolerance could get a great return just slapping their money in a bank CD with FDIC insurance (up to $100k back then).
Was it really a good real return on CDs given the inflation rate in the late 70s and early 80s?

Old 02-05-2016, 04:00 PM

106,658 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
The world is very different today for us Millennials than it was for our Baby Boomer Parents.

- Social Security will be different for us

- The job market is different for us

- The educational system is different for us

- The purchasing power of the dollar is different for us

- The credit market is different for us

But also understand, the trading markets are different for us as well. Back during the Baby Boomer days, it WAS about picking great, stable, growth based companies with good earnings to put your passive monies into in terms of stock paper.

Today, you have a Global NWO manipulating the stock market so that big corporations get paid off, while the little man in bank savings and CDs gets screwed over.

Now with the corruption and in a way to PAY OFF executives in big corporations, the Global NWO takes down the fed funds rate to 0% or NEGATIVE, causing the little man to have to pull money out of savings/CDs and into the markets to continue the Ponzi Scheme of PUMPING UP appreciation for the big corporations and big investors.

Then when it all comes crashing down, those big corporations and investors will somehow be either bailed out or they will get their money and BAIL OUT before the crash comes. The one that will get hurt (like it happens time and time again) will be the little man as he always stands around scratching his head wondering what in the HELL just happened
when it all comes crashing down and the 5000 biggest company's are in ruins say good bye to your business .

Old 02-05-2016, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
when it all comes crashing down and the 5000 biggest company's are in ruins say good bye to your business .
Why do you think the stock market tanking means the companies in general are tanking? And also why do you think every single business would tank, especially when certain businesses are "recession proof"?

Old 02-05-2016, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
Was it really a good real return on CDs given the inflation rate in the late 70s and early 80s?
Long Term CDs were actually at a higher rate of return than inflation, HOWEVER, the precious stock market during that time period DID NOT BEAT CDs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing