Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2016, 09:41 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times

Advertisements

You'd be better served if you could post without name calling in nearly every post. You cry about the negative attention you receive and yet it's your delivery that drives the vast majority of it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 11:47 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,062,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post
"Loosing" money? Do you know how ridiculous that sounds? It is not a typo because you did it twice. Please read this.

Lose vs Loose

Thank you Katie.....one of my major Pet Peeves = "loose" vs "lose".....it's amazing how many supposed somewhat intelligent people continue to misspell "lose" as "loose"......I get the occasional typo being made but I have seen many posts where it has been repeated over and over so it's not a typo.

I will start reading a post that seems to be posted by a person of at least average to above average intelligence and then see the dreaded "loose" in the post instead of the proper spelling.....it makes me discount pretty much anything they say since, if they were even slightly knowledgeable, they would know the difference.

Old 01-26-2016, 02:15 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
Too bad it's going over the head of these guys who live and die by the Stock Market.
And you're the one whining that you didn't feel welcomed in the investing forum, right? Can't imagine why...

Quote:
And what GUY that gambled on cash equivalents who is now forced to adjust his lifestyle are you referring to? You guys keep referring to this guy that eats dog food in retirement because he didn't put his money in your precious stock market, can you give me some links, reports, stories, or any type of coverage on who this guy is?

Of course you can't, because he doesn't exist.
Ask richrf if he knows of anyone who's posted on here that they have stopped eating out at restaurants, buying only essentials, entertaining by hanging out at library, doing crossword and jigsaw puzzles. I don't know about the dog food thing I'd say 90% of dog food referenced have been posted by you.

Quote:
But according to you "stock boys", the Stock Market is the "only way" to prosperity and if you don't participate in the Stock Market, you will be eating dog food.
You keep saying this over and over but I don't think most stock investors you're disagreeing with have made this claim.

You can build wealth by keeping your money in cash equivalents, you'll just likely have to work much longer than investors with more diverse portfolios to build a nest egg suitable for retirement. If your risk aversion is so strong you need to go this route then more power to you, I prefer to have the freedom of retirement while we're still young enough to enjoy it.

Old 01-26-2016, 02:22 AM

Quote:
If the Fed Funds rate were more in balanced, CDs would be at a solid 5% for a 5 year term right now and you would NEVER have seen DOW 18k.
That is pretty funny, you ranting about others making assumptions about future performance while you make assumptions about what the stock market would have done if another factor in economy was different.

Sounds like sour grapes.

Quote:
Hell will freeze over the moment I see MathJak or any other member of the MathJak Team even HINT that a person might (just might) lose money in the Stock Market
Okay now you're just manufacturing things to cry about, there isn't one person in these forums who would claim one can't lose money in the stock market and you know it. Anyone who invests has seen their money go up and seen it go down.

Old 01-26-2016, 02:53 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,221,727 times
I'm beginning to think that at least two of the anti stock posters are the same person.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:47 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,629,344 times
Because two people actually study and research economics and stocks, you come to the conclusion they are the same people? You think every person in this world are just mindless bots throwing money into the stpck market because stocks always go up?

Mindless, reckless gambling on stocks probably do as much damage to our economy as any other action, since it distorts capital allocations and rewards CEOs tremendously if they are clever enough to rig their books to show profit and growth for a short period of time. The goal of CEOs had changed from building a real company to building an illusory one that can IPO at a $60 billion because it can Tweet like a bird.

How else can one explain the silliness of rewarding Bezo and Amazon with a P/E of 700? Do the "investors" who purchased their stock believe that. Amazon will ultimately be the only retail outlet left on this planet. This company barely makes any money.

Or, how about rewarding the Russell 2000 index a P/E of 100. Do the "investors" in this index believe that companies on this index that actually have negative earnings will double their non-existent earrnngs for the rest of the century?

Portfolio allocations of 60/40 or whatever are not only absurd in that people actually believe they can do nothing and still make tons of money, it is harmful to the economy. Sorry, 60/40 or 50/50 and hold does not make anyone an expert in anything.

This is what "it will always go up" investing gets you when you rely on the Central Bank to levitate markets. The Shanghai Index is a perfect proxy for Central Bank planning and what it gets you. Of course you can always hope you retire during a Bubble.

Last edited by yellowbelle; 01-26-2016 at 09:39 PM.. Reason: quoted post deleted

Old 01-26-2016, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
Because two people actually study and research economics and stocks
Wait, are you counting yourself among the two people with all this expertise?

You're the guy who in 2012 in these forums said the market had peaked, right before it gained 45% over the ensuing two years. Surely people who believe actually studying and researching economics and stocks means they are experts couldn't have managed such a foolish conclusion from flawed analysis.

For added laughs I think you were referencing various charts and measures when you made your 2012 market top declaration. I'll have to go find that post to get some giggles.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:26 AM

343 posts, read 726,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
You may be right about me.
good luck to you.
Thinking man,

This latest downturn will affect you as much as your investing strategy will allow. If you are day trading or bottom fishing, a period like the current can be brutal. Overnight losses in the thousands with no escape route is punishing.

However, if you are buying quality companies, focusing on long-term results, then this latest drop is a low point in the ebb and flow of the stock market, which over the long-term returns somewhere between 9-12%. If that is the case, stick with it and perhaps buy more of those well established companies.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:57 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,629,344 times
Overheard the El-Erian interview on CNBC. Too bad no video is up yet. He talked about the social and political unrest that is forcing a change in Central Bank policies. Also, in a very politically correct manner, suggested that people should be raising cash at this time. Dr. Kevin had been saying the following all along:

Mohamed El-Erian warns about a day of reckoning

"Allianz Chief Economic Adviser Mohamed El-Erian said Tuesday the world economy is at the end of the era of borrowing growth and profits from the future in the form of easy monetary policies.

"Either we validate the financial asset prices and growth faster, or alternatively we will slip into a global recession with financial disorder," he told CNBC's "Squawk Box," putting a timetable of about three years on the outcome."

Old 01-26-2016, 07:16 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
and he is so sure of this because he can predict the future i bet .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing