Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 10:12 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,296,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Market Maker View Post
I really feel sorry for you, but think about this, this experience will make you stronger as I hope you will learn from your mistakes.

This sell off is real, big boys are getting out.
You feel sorry for me because i've lost 50k (on paper) so far, or that i'm misguided in buying more?
Is that what you mean by 'your mistakes'?

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 10:17 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,628,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
You feel sorry for me because i've lost 50k (on paper) so far, or that i'm misguided in buying more?
Is that what you mean by 'your mistakes'?

thanks.
Just understand your downside risk because based upon the last to Fed Manufactured Bubbles, the market will fall 40- 50% from its peak for exactly the same reason. No telling how long it will take to recover because world socio-political situations continue to deteriorate with all of the financial manipulation.

Just look at the charts.

Asset markets will drop 40 - 50% due to Debt Bubble

Old 01-20-2016, 10:19 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,567,829 times
Gamblers eventually lose. But they win a lot too. This oil thing......with the damage sky high oil caused this economy for so long, this is simply over-shooting below the mean. It will come back, but when, and how much? Million dollar questions I would never attempt to answer.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:22 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,628,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
Gamblers eventually lose. But they win a lot too. This oil thing......with the damage sky high oil caused this economy for so long, this is simply over-shooting below the mean. It will come back, but when, and how much? Million dollar questions I would never attempt to answer.
Clearly the vast amount of gamblers lose otherwise Vegas wouldn't exist. In any case, it is much more accurate to view today's asset markets as gambling arenas rather than investment markets. Everyone is gambling that by some miracle the Feds can print enough money to create their fourth Bubble.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:22 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,778,896 times
If you need the money this year, maybe pull it out. But if you're in it for the longhaul, like at least another five years until retirement, don't. Look at the history of the market. It always comes roaring back, even if it takes ten years.

Is there blood in the streets yet? Is it time to buy?

Old 01-20-2016, 10:26 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,557,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
If you need the money this year, maybe pull it out. But if you're in it for the longhaul, like at least another five years until retirement, don't. Look at the history of the market. It always comes roaring back, even if it takes ten years.

You guys are way optimistic.

This thing can potentially get worse than the great depression and may even last a decade

Old 01-20-2016, 10:28 AM

21,096 posts, read 19,703,590 times
Sounds to me like you did some panic buying. I'm going to wait till the market completely crashes, then I will wait an additional 2 months to be sure it is done crashing, then I will invest all the cash I have been sitting on since 2009.

Don't panic.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:36 AM

20,715 posts, read 19,357,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post

Well I can tell you this. The cheapest barrel of oil comes from Kuwait which is just under $10 a barrel. Saudi isn't much different. However they are not in business to break even and their fixed costs have gone up. So the oil aspect of this is already at the bottom for any sustainable period of time. That does not mean it cannot fall further in the short term but this will the result of supply destruction and desperate selling.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:36 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,296,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Sounds to me like you did some panic buying. I'm going to wait till the market completely crashes, then I will wait an additional 2 months to be sure it is done crashing, then I will invest all the cash I have been sitting on since 2009.

Don't panic.
You may be right about me.
good luck to you.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:45 AM

3,016 posts, read 3,909,526 times
Let me start by saying that I am not as knowledgeable about market dynamics as most of the posters here although I do have some money in mutual funds and stocks.

Too much focus is placed on making money off money these days and the OP states 'down about $50k'. In the old America if someone was down in one area, they would go out and work to make that $50k back, operate businesses, increase income and profit and innovate.

There is just too much focus on the stock market lately so when the next crash comes it will be catastrophic for the economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing