Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 01:57 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,520,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtheftV View Post
If Saudi sells 10 MBbl/day @ $30, if they cut production and the price went to $40, their daily revenue would go from $300 M/day to $360 M/day. This works for $20 oil ( if Iran oil makes the price go there ).

I don't think they ever expected this and they don't understand tight oil production.
Nothing indicates that such a cut by Saudi would increase Prices.

Oil is now Surplus EVERYWHERE. Russia, Iran, Iraq, US . . . .

But what you are observing in the lack of Saudi understanding is a typical failing of US MBAs and US-Harvard Trained Business folks (and the Top Saudis are). They do not tend to comprehend a Reduced and/or No-Growth or even a Negative Growth model and how to execute that successfully and profitability.

A bit frustrating for me in the Real World, as I am a Project Engineer, and often have to work with many of these types, and it is like they are Mentally Missing half the Number-Line in Math -- they cannot comprehend Zero or anything below it and how to operate profitably in those regions.

Quote:

I heard an argument for getting rid of the SPR back when oil was N of $100/bbl. I didn't quite agree, but it was a sound argument.Yup, and it's still economical to convert fleet fuels from diesel to NG.
SPR was an INSURANCE Plan back before there were paths off Oil. Which was an Okay thing at the time. But as we move past Internal Combustion Engines . . . it is sort of like Insuring a Dying Horse. Cheaper and Easier to create a new, better plan that does not require it.

But the longer trend is not just another Fuel (NG v. Diesel) to burn into Internal Combustion Engines. It is a combination of Less Energy demand for transportation and Electric Motors.

Quote:

Nope. Europe still needs them
Not so much and less all the time.

Europe's combined Oil consumption Peaked a few years ago and is still heading down.

Combined, all of Europe uses far less than US.

This makes Oil's largest customers . . . declining users.

With full and increasing Supply -- where does THAT tell you things are heading?

Maybe look at the Real Numbers?

Europe Oil Consumption Peaked in 2005

Quote:

and so will China and India.
Will?

You follow I have just been working from the world of known actual information and measured facts?

But now you have entered the realm of Future Fantasy predictions?

Based on . . . . . ?

I follow you have likely read and been pre-conditioned to hear the Chants of the Oil-Energy-Forever folks, but maybe put some Critical Thinking Skills to Work? Where "Critical Thinking" would be to ask, "Is this true?"

IF Europe AND the US Lead the World on trends (we do) AND Europe and the US are BOTH trending Downward on Oil use . . . [despite having a Large Installed Base of Internal Combustion Engines, which is where most Oil is consumed] . . . then WHY do you think that those who tend to follow US (China and India per your example) would Increase their Oil use?

Would it not be simpler, and cheaper (and therefore more likely) for China and India to just head towards Electricity based Transportation, when they can produce their own Electricity locally, easier, and cheaper (even Cheaper than Cheap Oil)?

Consider the last major Transportation shift in the World -- about 100 years ago -- from Horses to Internal Combustion Engines. When the World Leaders (again US and Europe) were heading away from Horses . . . would it be reasonable to assume that the rest of the world would sudden expand and adopt wider use of Horses?

The Stone Age did not end due to a lack of Stones. Likely the same for the Oil Age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 02:19 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,894,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Nothing indicates that such a cut by Saudi would increase Prices.
The oversupply of oil is only about 1 million bbls/day. Over time, this surplus has filled up the storage facilities and THAT is driving prices lower. Oil is not like copper or iron. You can't just produce it and store it in a field.

If the Saudis were to reduce their production from 10M bbls/day to 9M bbls/day that would "indicate" just fine.
Quote:
Oil is now Surplus EVERYWHERE. Russia, Iran, Iraq, US . . . .
So?

A surplus ANYWHERE is a surplus EVERYWHERE. It's always been that way with oil. You act like this is somehow, news.

Conspiracy theorists put up wall between countries, but in the real world, the oil supply is like a pool with lots of hoses dumping oil into it and lots of hoses sucking the oil out.
Quote:
Quote:
and our consumption is dropping.
Yup, and it's still economical to convert fleet fuels from diesel to NG.
You DO realize that I was agreeing with you there? .... I guess not ...
Quote:
But the longer trend is not just another Fuel (NG v. Diesel) to burn into Internal Combustion Engines. It is a combination of Less Energy demand for transportation and Electric Motors.
Well, maybe you don't think of it that way, but electricity is just another fuel. There are gasoline motors, diesel motors, NG motors and electric motors.

Long haul and fleet vehicles aren't going to be using electricity any time soon. Even with swappable batteries, the economics of NG outweigh electricity for long hauls.

Sure, electricity is a much better transportation fuel, but it's a crappy fuel to transport. You can't get as much energy into a cubic foot of electrical storage as you can with the chemical storage of gas or diesel.
Quote:
But now you have entered the realm of Future Fantasy predictions?
Now now, Phil. Being condescending when we are having an intellectual argument, makes you sound insecure. Just stick to facts and you'll be fine. You're a smart guy.
Quote:
Would it not be simpler, and cheaper (and therefore more likely) for China and India to just head towards Electricity based Transportation, ...
Do you mean all that coal-fired electricity?

They might have "lots" of electric vehicles on their roads in your dotage, but not in this generation or the next ( where "lots" would be 2-3% of the Chinese and Indian vehicles ).

Old 01-23-2016, 04:23 PM

Let's put those first two parts together?

Quote:
The oversupply of oil is only about 1 million bbls/day. Over time, this surplus has filled up the storage facilities and THAT is driving prices lower. Oil is not like copper or iron. You can't just produce it and store it in a field.

If the Saudis were to reduce their production from 10M bbls/day to 9M bbls/day that would "indicate" just fine.

A surplus ANYWHERE is a surplus EVERYWHERE. It's always been that way with oil. You act like this is somehow, news.

Conspiracy theorists put up wall between countries, but in the real world, the oil supply is like a pool with lots of hoses dumping oil into it and lots of hoses sucking the oil out.
We agree. THAT is why I am positing the resulting in-rush from Russia, Iran, Iraq, Libya, and the collapsing US/Canada Unconventional Production will just wash away ANY price increase a Saudi cut-back may create.

Quote:
You DO realize that I was agreeing with you there? .... I guess not ... Well, maybe you don't think of it that way, but electricity is just another fuel. There are gasoline motors, diesel motors, NG motors and electric motors.
True -- not that Electricity is just another fuel -- but rather I do not think of as just another fuel.

Because . . . it is not.

But I follow why you may think it is, as most folks in the US have been actively (mis)taught that Energy = Energy, and since Oil (or other liquid fuels) = Energy, and Electricity = Energy . . . therefore Oil = Electricity.

But it does not. Oil does not somehow equal Electricity or Vice Versa, Not at all.

The only two places I can find any real conversion factors are at the extremes.

1. Electricity to Oil.

A practical approach to use Electricity to make Oil. Not many exist. Only large scale I have found or worked on is where Denbury uses Electricity (entire massive electrical substations per (old) Oil Field to massively compress CO2, shoot it down hole, and foamy Oil comes blasting out of the old wells like a bottle of Coca-Cola with Mentos thrown in it. (Awesome to watch -- a 6 to 15 barrels per day "Stripper" well can blast 600 or more barrels a day).

This is aka as Tertiary Production (after Secondary, or flooding Oil fields with water to float Oil out -- which Saudi is deep into, now). Denbury uses so much Electricity to do this, that the Electricity is the single largest production site cost, and Oil has to be in $80 range to be profitable.

and,

2. Oil to Electricity.

Usually with an ICE Engine turning an Electricity Generator. While this makes Excellent Back-up Emergency and Stand-by Generation, the final costs are typically around 4 times what the Electricity is worth on the market. The only places this tends to be done on a regular basis are Islands too remote from a Main Land Grid Central Generator.

-----------------------------

But back to the confusion between Oil and Electricity and Energy. I had to track back for Decades to figure out how US folks have so confused Energy with Oil, and Energy with Electricity . . . . and then somehow confuse Oil with Electricity. In truth, there is barely any connection.

Dunno your age, but it stemmed from the 1970s. Wound up into the DOE-NREL guys to figure this one out.

After the US hit Peak Oil Production from Conventional Oil (Primary and Secondary Production) around 1970, things were heading downhill for US. You may recall, or may have heard of the 1973 "Embargo" from the newly forming OPEC states, and again in the late 1970s.

Rather than calling what was going on an "Oil Crisis" (because that was ALL it was), the Marketing Folks who were still Deeply in Love with Happy Motoring and the existing Stock and Manufacturing of ICEs, it served them very well to confuse Oil and Electricity as both being "Energy," and we were supposed to be experiencing an "Energy Crisis." Else we could have already made major steps away from Oil and ICEs in the past decades since the 1970s.

About the only efficient and cost effective "translation" between an ICE Fuel (N.G., in this case) and Electricity is a Combustion Turbine (like a BIG Jet Engine, which is also an ICE which burns Natural Gas), but to become profitable generally has a Steam Boiler on the Exhaust to capture the waste heat and spin a Steam Turbine. Put all that together and its called a Combined Cycle System. Nat. Gas C.C.s are presently near the Low Cost lead (under Coal and WAY under Nukes), but still more expensive than very efficient Renewables.

BUT exactly NONE of that offsets Oil Use for Transportation, unless and until -- you swap out the existing ICE from the transportation device and put in an Electric Motor as the primary drive-train source.

SUMMARY of all that -- Electricity and Electric Motors ARE SO DIFFERENT from Oil or Natural Gas burning ICEs they cannot really compare . . . other than to say comparing overall costs of build, install, and operating costs of Electric Motors are around 1/4 of ICEs -- even at these depressed Oil prices.

So. Energy DOES NOT Equal Energy. Or I suppose to paraphrase Animal Farm -- Not All Energy is Equal.

This is why Oil can go WAY UP and WAY DOWN with little to no effect on the Price or Profitability of Electricity. And Electricity can shift and makes little to no difference to Oil Prices. IF they were inter-changeable . . . that could not be so.

Quote:
Long haul and fleet vehicles aren't going to be using electricity any time soon. Even with swappable batteries, the economics of NG outweigh electricity for long hauls.
Things are not likely as much about Batteries as you may have heard. We can do that as a separate discussion?

Quote:
Sure, electricity is a much better transportation fuel, but it's a crappy fuel to transport.
May I challenge you on that? Next time you are driving most anywhere in North America . . . look up . . . not too far up . . . maybe just 20 to 40 feet up . . . in the air around you. There are Very Few roads in America that do not have some part of the Electrical Grid Structure along them. "Poles and Wires" is the trade term.

If you are in a more built-up or modern area of the US, the Grid may be underground, and we only see it "pop up" for surface Transformers, Distribution and Revenue Metering -- but those underground areas are generally even better served along the Roadway than the rural Poles and Wires.

The Real Deal is . . . Electricity is ALREADY transported almost everywhere most of us would care to travel in the US. Often right along the same path -- along the public access Right-of-Way / Roadway. For most of US, Electricity is closer than a Gas Station. A LOT closer.

Quote:
You can't get as much energy into a cubic foot of electrical storage as you can with the chemical storage of gas or diesel.
Yeah. And again, you do not hear me going on about Batteries.

jmho, but Batteries are sort of a Today/Yesterday thing, but Not So Much Tomorrow. If you would like we can chat where things are heading on Batteries . . . or the Lack of . . . but that is branching WAY off Oil and Saudi. But here is a short primer >>>

Design News - Automotive News - Wireless Power Pitched as Replacement for EV Batteries

Quote:
Now now, Phil. Being condescending when we are having an intellectual argument, makes you sound insecure. Just stick to facts and you'll be fine. You're a smart guy.
Thank you for the kind words, but even more so, Thank You for the Correction. After a program of Self-Inspection, it turns out that Arrogance is a Character Defect of mine, and so one I should guard against. So I do sincerely welcome your correction and Thank You for the observation.

Quote:
Do you mean all that coal-fired electricity?
I have worked a fair amount of Coal. Old and New, mostly in the US. But Coal everywhere is a Dead Man Walking. China is cutting back, and India is not likely to continue. Because Renewable is becoming Just Too Cheap for Coal to compete with.

Putting in a typical New 600 to 1000 MW Coal Plant costs around $1 to 1.5 Billion Dollars. And Has MASSIVE Maintenance and Operations costs for the rest of its life-time.

You can put in that much Solar for around the same costs -- especially when close to where the Equipment is made (China) and have little to no Maintenance Costs for 25 or more years (how many more years is not yet known -- 25 years is now a common warranty, but there are panels from the 1970s still producing, and things have only become better.)

Dunno if you have followed much of the US New Generation this decade is in Renewable Electricity? Both Solar and Wind. And Coal is dying hard.

Quote:
They might have "lots" of electric vehicles on their roads in your dotage, but not in this generation or the next ( where "lots" would be 2-3% of the Chinese and Indian vehicles ).
It is more likely trains (both in India and China) for Shipping and Transportation will continue to lead US.

Neither China nor India are yet so likely to become to addicted to personal vehicle ICEs as US.

btw, at this point, typically Jet Aircraft is supposed to be the One-True-Critical application for ICEs (usually Oil based). Have you looked at Hyper-Loop? It can be fully Renewable Electricity, as well. It looks like it will eat Commercial Jet Aircraft for breakfast . . . .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperloop

Old 01-23-2016, 04:29 PM

17,876 posts, read 15,833,564 times
It is pretty much a mess in terms of civil and human rights. So if prices do go down, the House of Saud will just continue as always. They will simply repress any uprisings.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:04 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,683,261 times
If they can't support all the social programs and basically buy their soverigne rule they will go under

Old 01-24-2016, 08:45 PM

2,804 posts, read 3,163,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
If they can't support all the social programs and basically buy their soverigne rule they will go under
Faster than you can spell "d*o*w*n".

Old 01-24-2016, 09:25 PM

2,804 posts, read 3,163,191 times
Quote:
Let's put those first two parts together?

We agree. THAT is why I am positing the resulting in-rush from Russia, Iran, Iraq, Libya, and the collapsing US/Canada Unconventional Production will just wash away ANY price increase a Saudi cut-back may create.

[/url]

I agree with your premise of an irrevocable turn towards lower oil and fossil fuel consumption due to renewables. The time and speed of that change is still not totally clear. It is a major change in the economics of the price of fossil fuels. The growth premium has fallen away and also the relevance in the world economy will diminish more and more.
Short-term I still expect a major bump as China's economy is not doing as bad as the public perception is. From around 2018 on we should see a more permanent decline towards $10/ barrel. The next global recession wave will be the gateway to this. By this I mean a standard recession, nothing like the Great Recession. The next one will hit the fossil fuel exporters most hard.
Once we're over the energy crisis cycle the world economy should run more smoothly and be less crisis-prone than we have ever seen before.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
I agree with your premise of an irrevocable turn towards lower oil and fossil fuel consumption due to renewables.
Well, in fairness to the Frackers . . . it is not so much renewables, as much as just HOW MUCH Frack Shale Oil is Down There. And how easy it is now to bring that Up Here. That Surplus is what wiped out the price. I am just seeing renewables sneak into every crack and opening to keep things down. 1 Trillion Barrels recoverable (with as much as 5 Trillion existing) is a LOT of Oil. I had wandered in late to the Frack party just trying to clean Frack Produced Water -- so as to not poison the surface.

Quote:
The time and speed of that change is still not totally clear. It is a major change in the economics of the price of fossil fuels. The growth premium has fallen away and also the relevance in the world economy will diminish more and more.
Yeah, a Post-Growth World is one where what so many of the MBAs and Business Math folks just cannot get a Mental Grip upon. Post-Growth can still be very profitable, just the Gross numbers are NOT always higher year-to-year. It is almost like they have Growth-for-the-sake-Growth confused with their Manhood and Penis size or something. You can have Negative Growth (on the Gross Numbers) and still be Massively Profitable. Or not. But that is where the real Business Skill comes in.

Quote:
Short-term I still expect a major bump as China's economy is not doing as bad as the public perception is. From around 2018 on we should see a more permanent decline towards $10/ barrel. The next global recession wave will be the gateway to this. By this I mean a standard recession, nothing like the Great Recession. The next one will hit the fossil fuel exporters most hard.
I do not watch the gross numbers so much anymore. I watch my Oil customer's profitability. THAT is what determines if they can hire me, so I can Make Bank. Or Not. Profitability is somewhat tied to price, but not as a measure. mho, the Gross Numbers are NOT the ones to watch any longer in Any Market. Including at the National Level, or GDP. (again mho) Things are going back to 1950's and before -- Olde School -- Profitability is what matters.

Quote:
Once we're over the energy crisis cycle the world economy should run more smoothly and be less crisis-prone than we have ever seen before.
IF we can learn to live and share in Surplus (rather than Self-Inflicted Crisis and Chaos), I would agree.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:02 PM

THIS could make Oil Prices recover quite quickly . . . .

President Putin: Russia will bomb Saudi Arabia back to the Stone Age life unless Riyadh desists from supporting terrorism - AWD News

Old 01-26-2016, 07:54 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,683,261 times
And likely create WW3--
You know the US is not going to allow something like that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing