Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 06:29 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,586,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
No, you read it wrong. The chart was for the lower income subset of 55-64 year olds.
No, I am simply including both the 41% subgroup with zero and the 59% subgroup with more than zero. That's everybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 12:47 PM

18,082 posts, read 15,670,593 times
That's incredible organic_donna! Good for you for taking that level of control!

I don't know if I could be as frugal as you were, but it's a good lesson that there are ways to save here and there for just about anyone who is earning a living wage.

Old 02-28-2016, 03:43 PM

2,595 posts, read 2,289,729 times
Growing up I was very spoiled. I received a trust fund at the age of 18. I blew through that money fast. One day reality came knocking at my door. I was fired from my job, my fiancé dumped me and I totaled my car. I called my banker and told him to deposit more money in my account. He told me I was broke. He had been warning me for years, but I didn't listen. I was on unemployment for a good six months. I had never lived on a budget in my life. This could have gone one of two ways.

Well, I sat down and wrote out my bills. That was the first time I had ever done that. From that day on, I lived on a budget. I taught myself how to save and invest. I bought my first condo and began to build my future. Then I started to plan for my retirement. I loved saving and investing. It was a game to me. I loved being able to save money on such a meager income. That made it all the more challenging for me.

I felt like Scarlett O'Hara in "Gone With The Wind". I vowed I would never be poor again.

Old 02-28-2016, 05:14 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
Growing up I was very spoiled. I received a trust fund at the age of 18. I blew through that money fast. One day reality came knocking at my door. I was fired from my job, my fiancé dumped me and I totaled my car. I called my banker and told him to deposit more money in my account. He told me I was broke. He had been warning me for years, but I didn't listen. I was on unemployment for a good six months. I had never lived on a budget in my life. This could have gone one of two ways.

Well, I sat down and wrote out my bills. That was the first time I had ever done that. From that day on, I lived on a budget. I taught myself how to save and invest. I bought my first condo and began to build my future. Then I started to plan for my retirement. I loved saving and investing. It was a game to me. I loved being able to save money on such a meager income. That made it all the more challenging for me.

I felt like Scarlett O'Hara in "Gone With The Wind". I vowed I would never be poor again.
Great story. I feel the same, I don't want to be poor again. Btw, Gone with the wind is my favorite book.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:46 PM

18,082 posts, read 15,670,593 times
I was lucky in that my parents, especially my dad, taught me the value of money from a very early age. I had my first savings account at 7 years of age -- a passbook savings account. It probably earned more interest than today!!

I learned I had to save $$ for things I wanted when it wasn't my Bday. My dad would match the cost of something but only if I saved up my half first. I was getting $3/week allowance back then and did odd jobs to make more money. It was a fantastic lesson to learn; I had to be disciplined and focus on what I really wanted.

As an adult I've always lived within my means, and while my parents have been extremely generous with me, the money they did gift me I would generally save or invest. After my dad passed I got some $$ from his life insurance and I immediately put it into savings (investments). I've had periods of unemployment since 2001 but have tried to make the most of the years I have worked, saving and saving some more.

My goal now is to be able to "retire" (eventually quit my corporate job) and not have to put up with any more of that B.S. or have the employment rug pulled out from under me. I'm not there yet but I'm working on it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing