Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 08:02 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,937,375 times

Advertisements

Who cares? Just let KMart & Sears die. They've both been on a downhill slide for 25 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 08:46 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
The closest Kmart to me has steady business. It's not dead at all. I would expect Kmart to shut down before Sears.

In regards to Sears why doesn't the chain change it's model to mimic that of Costco? A typical Sears store has the space to totally do it. Sears has the best tools ever made. It has retail: appliances, clothes, groceries, electronics, etc. They have an optometrist department, a jewelry department, etc. Sears can add a food court and offer other services. I would like to see someone rival Costco. Why not Sears?
What makes you think the people running Sears have any idea how to go head to head with something like Costco? They've completely failed at running a successful business.

As for the best tools, sorry, but no. They have mediocre tools at mediocre prices, no better than one can find at Lowe's or Home Depot. Next to brands like Wiha, Wera, and Snap-On, they're peddling disposable junk.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:21 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Actually the Hometown Sears concept does well (at least here in Montana and other rural states).

I do a lot of wrenching on my own machinery and their tools are just fine. Most of my sockets are 25-30 years old and still doing the job. My torque wrench was 10 years old when it finally gave up the ghost. Walked into Sears and handed it to the cashier- they walked to the rack and gave me a replacement.

You can't compare Craftsman to Snap-On. To replace my current tools with Snap-On equivalents would run me upwards of $20,000. Was my torque wrench more than a Blowes model? Yes. But not nearly as expensive as Snap-On.

We also got a screaming deal on a GE Cafe 30" 5 burner SS range top and I just bought a new 50" Lawn mower which is top rated in the industry. To get better you would need to go to a JD dealer.

Sears needs to exploit their niche which is small town hometown stores where the Blowes and Home Despots will not tread. Tools, appliances, lawn and garden and maybe certain home goods. Ditch the urban and suburban brick and mortar. Locally owned, lower overhead, brand specific and need specific stores. Downsize to rightsize...

Old 03-29-2016, 02:17 PM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
I've been asking the same thing about Radio Shack for a decade. How many random electronic parts or cell phone plans can they sell in a day to pay the rent anyway?

Old 03-29-2016, 07:59 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,847,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
What makes you think the people running Sears have any idea how to go head to head with something like Costco? They've completely failed at running a successful business.

As for the best tools, sorry, but no. They have mediocre tools at mediocre prices, no better than one can find at Lowe's or Home Depot. Next to brands like Wiha, Wera, and Snap-On, they're peddling disposable junk.
Sorry but yes. Craftsman are the best hand tools. I've purchased hand tools at Lowes and Home Depot (especially Home Depot) with mixed results. FWIW, Dewalt, Milwaukee, Makita and Bosch are about the same. Rigid and Ryobi are lower end but OK for light use at home or back-ups for light commercial.

Obviously the people running Sears now couldn't be able to change over the business model to a Costco- membership model. They can't even run their business now with the model they should understand. It's a shame walking into an empty Sears store. I really would like Costco to have strong competition. I despise Costco.

-Cheers.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:55 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
I can't understand how or why they are still in business. Both obvious failures that will soon be history.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:58 PM

23,511 posts, read 23,986,796 times
Not much longer, Kmart is owned by Sears. Sears has sadly, gone way downhill. I shopped at Sears a lot when I was a child, but that was then.

Old 04-09-2016, 03:30 PM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times
I used to go to Sears Auto for oil changes and other minor auto maintenances but the last time I went, no one paid any attention to me. I just stood there at the counter waiting for the two service personnel take phone calls, walking around and dealing with other customers. It was like I was invisible. After about 15 minutes, I got angry and just left. I've never been back.

Old 04-10-2016, 05:26 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I can't understand how or why they are still in business. Both obvious failures that will soon be history.

This is correct. Sears will be case study in capitalism 101 for future generations. Title: How not to run a business. These guys were the kings 40 years ago, but failed to innovate, failed to see the future. Failed to modernize. The highly paid executives took their money and bought mansions with it. Meanwhile, Wal Mart, Target, Costco, Home Depot etc caught up to them and left them in the dust.

Sears: Stop The Madness and shut the doors.

Sears 2016 = Third Reich, Jan 1945. For those of you who know history --- every battle was lost for years, and all that can be done is to stall for time.

Old 04-10-2016, 05:56 AM

108 posts, read 134,878 times
I don't know. I still shop Kmart clothes.better then Walmart.and when did target improve the quality of their clothes?.used to be their clothes would fall apart in the washer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing