Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 09:15 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Being a landlord is a job because you have to expect your tenants to stop paying their rent at some random time and when they finally move out leave a big mess and a lot of damage. And while living there and paying rent they will often stridently insist on a lot of repairs, even for damage they did, claiming it wasn't their fault.

But there are things you can do. You can give them a rent discount if they agree to be responsible for repairs. You can put golden handcuffs on them by making the rent discount big enough that they would have to pay a lot more per month if they moved to a different rental. You can give them a big bonus if/when you sell the property. That would give them an incentive to keep it in marketable condition, and to stay there a long time hoping to get the bonus. And you can reject tenants who won't pay an extra big security deposit. The lower their credit scores, the bigger the deposit should be.

By doing all of the above, you can take most of the work out of it, to make it an investment instead of a job. Some tenants will give you bad luck and reduce your ROI. Others will give you good luck and increase your ROI. Like any investment. And any work you seem to have to do, you can always hire other people to do it, like any investment. How much work is it to call a cleaning company or hire a handyman to do your repairs?

Investing in stocks is a job because you have to know what stocks to invest in and when to sell them and what stocks to buy in their place. Some jobs are more time consuming than others. But where do you draw the line between a job and an investment?

Buying spy, vti or VOO doesn't take much thought, work or research. Trying to argue that managing an equity portfolio is "work" is comical I feel and pretending like it would be anything like the work of being a landlord is beyond silly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 10:26 PM

3,152 posts, read 2,732,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Buying spy, vti or VOO doesn't take much thought, work or research. Trying to argue that managing an equity portfolio is "work" is comical I feel and pretending like it would be anything like the work of being a landlord is beyond silly
You're describing the most passive mutual fund investor. If you read these threads you'll see people dissecting very minute points of the global economy and currency wars, etc. with an incredible level of detail. Stuff that goes way beyond what the layman can comprehend.

Those are the investors that possibly spend more time studying the equities markets than a real landlord spends operating rentals. Add to them the "medium intensity" investors/traders and the average hour-by-hour time by the average investor probably tops what a small owner-op landlord spends.

Some of these market experts could probably build/operate a rental business very well with all the time they spend on markets.

And the risk/stress is there on both sides. A LL can have a bad lease and an investor can have a bad market.

Last edited by tommy64; 03-15-2016 at 10:46 PM..

Old 03-16-2016, 12:30 AM

2,914 posts, read 2,688,085 times
Equities have not "stagnated since 2000". REITS go through cycles. Don't get caught in the next real estate crash. Some believe that interest rates are the only thing holding up real estate.

https://www.mfs.com/wps/FileServerSe...ommand=default

Old 03-16-2016, 01:48 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
Equities have not "stagnated since 2000". REITS go through cycles. Don't get caught in the next real estate crash. Some believe that interest rates are the only thing holding up real estate.

https://www.mfs.com/wps/FileServerSe...ommand=default
I wish. I don't see housing being affordable again.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:22 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,767,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
Those are the investors that possibly spend more time studying the equities markets than a real landlord spends operating rentals. Add to them the "medium intensity" investors/traders and the average hour-by-hour time by the average investor probably tops what a small owner-op landlord spends.
I would much rather spend my time looking at the equities market than repairing stopped up plumbing and repairing damages and painting and dealing with bad tenants. I have heard enough horror stories that I never want to be a landlord. Ugh.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:59 AM

106,655 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
i have never spent more then 30 seconds a week on my equity portfolio in almost 30 years . no reason to when it is funds

Old 03-16-2016, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
You're describing the most passive mutual fund investor. If you read these threads you'll see people dissecting very minute points of the global economy and currency wars, etc. with an incredible level of detail. Stuff that goes way beyond what the layman can comprehend.

Some of these market experts could probably build/operate a rental business very well with all the time they spend on markets.

And the risk/stress is there on both sides. A LL can have a bad lease and an investor can have a bad market.
they can spend their time wasting it on the daily noise but it likely adds not one penny of value to their investing . more then likely it hurts it as they react to things they shouldn't

Old 03-16-2016, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I would much rather spend my time looking at the equities market than repairing stopped up plumbing and repairing damages and painting and dealing with bad tenants. I have heard enough horror stories that I never want to be a landlord. Ugh.
i rather do neither but i would certainly put reading annual reports over dealing with tenants and issues at property's .

in retirement last thing i want to be is a landlord and we spent more then a decade selling off our real estate holdings just so we don't have to .

Old 03-16-2016, 03:28 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
they may not be able to reliably pay the rent either . many are to busy whining about things and have useless degrees rather then developing good needed job skills
Stocks dont pay the bills unless you've got 7 figures in your account. Rent is a necessity

Old 03-16-2016, 03:33 AM

rent is a necessity but that does not mean you have the dough to live where you would like or even pay the rent .

just about every landlord at some point have even good tenants get hit with the trifecta from landlord hell ILLNESS-JOB LOSS-DIVORCE . eventually it gets you and your tenants problems become your problems
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing