Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2016, 08:53 AM

519 posts, read 597,641 times

Advertisements

Just remember folks that most people don't sell on the way up.

The 20 year/$30 trillion debt accumulation run in China is over. And that means it's over for a lot of companies, ranging from the tech sector to energy/materials, to banks across the world.

We haven't seen any real selling in the last 7 years. Remember that when the S&P is trading sub-1500 within a year.

You can pretend it doesn't matter because the Dow will be 3x or 4x higher in 30 years anyway (ha ha). I don't buy that. We're in an economic shift like we haven't seen before. Population growth could sustain 2-5% GDP last century. Now, with flat pop. growth and an aging demographic globally, China is even encouraging more babies because they see the writing on the wall. It's deflation from here on out. 2008 could've been the end of the show, but the Fed/bailouts really did save the market. . I don't see that happening again (and one reason the banks are so weak). A lot of investors are being arrogant but you saw the whites of their eyes in '09. This shall repeat itself. This deflation/deleveraging that's coming is going to teach people what money really is and where it comes from.

Last edited by Howard Beale; 03-31-2016 at 09:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 09:01 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post
Just remember folks that most people don't sell on the way up. The 20 year/$30 trillion debt accumulation run in China is over. And that means it's over for a lot of companies, ranging from the tech sector to energy/materials, to banks across the world.

We haven't seen any real selling in the last 9 years. Remember that when the S&P is trading sub-1500 within a year.

You can pretend it doesn't matter because the Dow will be 3x or 4x higher in 30 years anyway (ha ha). I don't buy that. We're in an economic shift like we haven't seen before. Population growth could sustain 2-5% GDP last century. Now, with flat pop. growth and an aging demographic globally, China is even encouraging more babies because they see the writing on the wall. It's deflation from here on out. 2008 could've been the end of the show, but the Fed/bailouts really did save the market. . I don't see that happening again (and one reason the banks are so weak). A lot of investors are being arrogant but you saw the whites of their eyes in '09. This shall repeat itself. This deflation/deleveraging that's coming is going to teach people what money really is and where it comes from.
That sounds very similiar to what the crazy people on street corners say when they hold the signs and yell "the end is nigh!". You just have to replace the fed with god and deflation/deleveraging with the end of the world.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:33 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,557,851 times
Boeing and LM are great companies, pillars of our aviation.

I'd recommend their stocks in a heartbeat but they are overvalued.

Though LM seems more favorable right now due to their non-defense efforts.

Everybody thinks our defense budget is so big but these people don't have a clue.

Most of spending goes to staff and burned in Europe and Asia.

For instance LM only gets about $40B which is peanuts.

Boeing gets $20B.

And it's only 3% of our GDP.

But due to political headwinds i think defense budget will be cut massively cause our people want isolation.

They don't wanna pay billions to cover for Europe or Japan, and rightly so!!

It'll be interesting to see how this will turn out.

I am planning to be a defense contractor and help my country too but future looks volatile.

I hope Donald will be president.

At least spending wouldn't go down and be directed to domestic issues so we can get contracts.

We shall see.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:01 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,571,141 times
"I am planning to be a defense contractor and help my country too but future looks volatile."

LOL . I used to be one. There's a lot of waste, redundancy, and fraud in the business, especially in period like the present where there's much more money being spent than the availalbility of real talent. The money for defense-related spending is also spread out to other departments. Much of it's moved to terrorism in the last decade where most of my extended family is trying to seek shelter from competitive pressures of jobs. I thought you were older than 22. You give yourself away.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
"I am planning to be a defense contractor and help my country too but future looks volatile."

LOL . I used to be one. There's a lot of waste, redundancy, and fraud in the business, especially in period like the present where there's much more money being spent than the availalbility of real talent. The money for defense-related spending is also spread out to other departments. Much of it's moved to terrorism in the last decade where most of my extended family is trying to seek shelter from competitive pressures of jobs. I thought you were older than 22. You give yourself away.
I am.

Yes, of course there are certain elements of bureaucracy, fraud and corruption but overall i think situation is better compared to other departments

I think there'll be window of opportunity as army focuses on not losing people and getting more mechanized and software oriented.

Hell if i can get even $1M funding out of this $600B budget it'd be so huge you have no idea

Private industry is not gonna be in a spending spree for a number of years.

Old 03-31-2016, 02:26 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,177,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Another day, another bunch of comments from the Fed chairman.
Inflation low, no reason to raise rates.
The game continues.
The can has been kicked down the road.
The garbage was in your post, not Mrs. Yellen's speech. Rather than blaming others for your life's issues how about you start to improve your understanding?

Old 03-31-2016, 02:28 PM

106,656 posts, read 108,810,853 times
blaming others is always so much easier

Old 03-31-2016, 02:31 PM

Yellen is just outsourcing interest rates.

She is an employee of Obama.

Old 03-31-2016, 03:23 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
Yes you boomers are lucky to dodge this era.

Joke is on us.

Even 5% CDs look marvelous now

For me it's not important.

I wanna do big things.

I'll risk all i have and start my business.

After that boom or bust.

I couldn't care less.

These things are not in my control : GDP growth, interest rates, inflation, demographics...etc.

What can we do sometimes

I wish you and your husband happy retirements.

Hope you're doing ok and so nice to have people like you here
Just think whatever business you're considering through to the nth degree before you start out. My husband and I both started our own legal practices. First - my husband supported me when I started mine. And then I supported him when he started his. A good way to do things - but most people don't have that luxury. Still - the cash outflows at the beginning - with no money coming in - were scary.

And there are all kinds of businesses. For example - I'd rather start a plumbing business where I live today than open a restaurant . Robyn

Old 03-31-2016, 03:50 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the visions in our heads of the what if's are like the visions gold bugs have of everything turning to crap and they are last man standing .

the reality is so far it has not happened that markets hit a bottom and didn't recover fairly quick . they may trade sideways after retracing for a while , maybe even many years but so far falling and staying down has never been a problem . even the great depression actually had stocks recovering in just under 6 years in dollar terms .

that isn't to say it can't happen , anything is possible , but it is these kind of visions that have left people poorer then had they just went with what was , what is and what stands a reasonable chance of continuing .

just keep a plan b that may work in the back of your head but sometimes it is impossible to have a plan b .

it is like what if you have a portfolio full of long term bonds , little else and high inflation strikes ? that did happen in 1965/1966 .
You criticize young people for being skeptical about the stock market. But you have your personal bug-a-boos when it comes to bonds. You're still fighting the inflation wars from a long long time ago. Reckon you have been every bit as stupid about bonds are some people have been about stocks. In terms of not locking in yields in individual bonds for long periods of time when yields were higher.

I remember when I first started to manage my father's money about 10 years ago. And he started to give me lip about buying 20-30 year AAA munis at 5%+ with 10 year calls. He would mumble "inflation this - inflation that". And I told him I never wanted to hear from him again when it came to investments. And that he was always free to fire me and hire someone else to manage his money. He shut up. And I haven't heard a peep from him in recent years - because his investment returns have been great. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing