Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 10:26 AM

106,646 posts, read 108,790,719 times

Advertisements

i use gld
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 10:05 AM

1,870 posts, read 1,901,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willistonite View Post
What is the best way to buy Gold? Does anyone have a good Gold fund they could recommend?
Do you want the metals or the miners?

Old 04-11-2016, 08:40 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,710,603 times
I am totally a new investor here but with lower oil price I have been interested in buying some oil stock and few alternative (natural) energy stock. What stock/company do I look for? Do I just go for Marathon or Mobil or is there other stock that are better if I am interested in oil

Old 04-11-2016, 12:41 PM

581 posts, read 615,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I am totally a new investor here but with lower oil price I have been interested in buying some oil stock and few alternative (natural) energy stock. What stock/company do I look for? Do I just go for Marathon or Mobil or is there other stock that are better if I am interested in oil
Whats your risk tolerance? Exxon (XOM) is probably a good place to put your money if you want a little more safety in the oil markets...

But if you have an appetite for risk and want the possibility of big returns, there are a lot of other places in energy with much higher potential upside...

Old 04-11-2016, 12:42 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,901,238 times
Quote:
Marathon ( MRO ) is a good company. They recently had to cut their dividend to be more solvent, but that's a problem for long-time owners.

Mobil was purchased by Exxon a long time ago. The combined company is called Exxon Mobile ( XOM ).

Buy 1/5th to 1/4th of what you plan to invest when you are ready and wait a month to do anything else.

People come on here and tell you to "read a book" or something, but there is no substitute for just doing it. Once you have bought some stock, read articles on the company(ies) and read the financial statements.

Others will tell you to only buy funds, but unless you can already analyze a stock and read the financials, then you'll always be ignorant. Ignorant isn't the same as stupid, but being deliberately ignorant is stupid. If it turns out that you don't like analyzing stocks or reading financials, then funds are fine.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:52 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,949,132 times
Ammo! Buy ammo. It always goes up, plus you can't shoot gold.

What about oil etf's? Are they worth it? Which one?

Old 04-13-2016, 12:53 PM

708 posts, read 721,182 times
Quote:

There are some very good shale oil producers that their stock is very low. Oasis Petroleum and
Whiting Oil and Gas are two under $10 that will do very well if oil goes up. They have debt on
their balance sheet but working on it diligently. Also SM Energy was another one but that already
has made a move. I bought at $8 now it is $25 in one month. Do your home work but those are some very good stocks to consider before it is too late. I have owned Exxon for years. It is a dividend stock.
It does not go up or down much so very little upside but pays a good dividend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing