Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 05:52 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,036,023 times

Advertisements

I have some play money that I'm willing to throw at some very risky, very small biotechs. I'm looking for stocks under $5. Obviously, I realize these are hugely risky and in 12 months, my $25K may be worth $0.
But, there's also the possibility that 1 or 2 hit homeruns......

Anyone got ones that you like?

One I do like is DDXS. Small company in the cardiovascular diagnostics market with FDA cleared, patented tests that are starting to get some attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 07:50 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,164,170 times
It looks like Seth Klarman has a 2-3% stake in OREX. I did some light reading on it, I'm not sure how convinced I am that there main products will be as commercially profitable as they could be because as of now they appear to be prescription only.But, Seth Klarman is probably one of the top investors of all time and his hedge fund has over $27 billion under management.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:42 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,565,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Just broke up with my finance guy, was costing me too much in mgmt fees, etc. Now back to doing it myself.

Have most of the $ in Fidelity now. Problem is, I'm in about 20 different funds. I'd like to par that down to about 10, which I think provides plenty of exposure and diversification.

Let's say I have $1M to invest?
Not much of a bond guy, maybe 5% total.

Anyone care to share their Top 10 funds/ETFs to build a personal portfolio?

You know what's more expensive than a financial guy? Winging money into risky assets and praying for a return

Old 04-11-2016, 12:14 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,900,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
You know what's more expensive than a financial guy? Winging money into risky assets and praying for a return
How does soliciting advice from faceless people on a financial forum rank?

Old 04-11-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:

You read this part, right: "Obviously, I realize these are hugely risky and in 12 months, my $25K may be worth $0."

What I'm looking for are some ideas. I don't have time to go research 200 tiny biotech companies, but if I hear about 10-15 that sound interesting, I might look into them and possibly throw some $ at it. It's definitely a hope and pray 'strategy' but no different than what the venture funds do with these same companies.

It not like I said "I have $25K to my name. It's for rent, food and the kids college fund. Nothing in reserve. I'm hoping to place some stupidly risky bets in the biotech market or go to Vegas and play blackjack with this money."

Old 04-11-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
You read this part, right: "Obviously, I realize these are hugely risky and in 12 months, my $25K may be worth $0."

What I'm looking for are some ideas. I don't have time to go research 200 tiny biotech companies, but if I hear about 10-15 that sound interesting, I might look into them and possibly throw some $ at it. It's definitely a hope and pray 'strategy' but no different than what the venture funds do with these same companies.

It not like I said "I have $25K to my name. It's for rent, food and the kids college fund. Nothing in reserve. I'm hoping to place some stupidly risky bets in the biotech market or go to Vegas and play blackjack with this money."

I read it and it two different messages that a clearly conflicting hence my comment

Old 04-11-2016, 05:40 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Quote:
Agreed. Despite some recent disagreements - we probably have more in common than not in common.

FWIW - I do allocate some money to (risky) biotechs in my ETF trading. I use XBI (or sometimes IBB - or sometimes both). But nowhere near $25k (even though I'm sure I have more money than the OP).

I can't understand throwing money at markets blindly and totally in ignorance. Then again - I could never understand going to Las Vegas and gambling either. Robyn

Old 04-12-2016, 04:09 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,244,921 times
Biotech is best avoided, in my opinion. The entire area is little more than a gamble -- most of it based on what the government is going to ultimately approve.

Old 04-12-2016, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Biotech is best avoided, in my opinion. The entire area is little more than a gamble -- most of it based on what the government is going to ultimately approve.
OP here: I don't disagree, but it probably is the most high risk/high reward sector. If you're going to play in the smallcap biotech sector, do so with money you can both afford and don't care if you lose.

Biotech is an area where a little good news from the FDA, a clinical trial or M/A rumors can boost a stock 25-50% or more in a single trading session. That's what I'm hoping to do. It's not a buy n hold strategy, more like buy n hope.

Just for laughs though, yesterday I recommended DDXS in the morning and it was up 15% on a down market day........

Old 04-12-2016, 06:49 AM

Quote:
OP here: I don't disagree, but it probably is the most high risk/high reward sector. If you're going to play in the smallcap biotech sector, do so with money you can both afford and don't care if you lose.

Biotech is an area where a little good news from the FDA, a clinical trial or M/A rumors can boost a stock 25-50% or more in a single trading session. That's what I'm hoping to do. It's not a buy n hold strategy, more like buy n hope.

Just for laughs though, yesterday I recommended DDXS in the morning and it was up 15% on a down market day....

Strange it's still down 85% from it's high last year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing