Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 03:37 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,739,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
My personal view (not shared by many) is as we age the following risks become more pronounced than many models assume:

* risk of longevity
* cost of healthcare risk
* cost of assisted living risk
* cost of nursing home risk
* cost of Alzheimer's care risk

Put them altogether and there is risk of outliving our assets. This risk has always been there, of course, but my personal view (again, not shared by many) is these risks are higher than people generally model. But that's just me. I guess I need something to worry about.
we went with a long term care policy just so we could mitigate those potentially devastating risks down to more manageable levels .

not much sense in developing a nice pile of assets and then leaving them exposed in case you are the unlucky statistic . that is why we have all sorts of insurance that protects us against devastating outcomes even though the chances are quite slim that it will happen .

we only have 2 outcomes , things happen to us or they don't .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
It's really hard to make your money last if you put it in CDs - at current rates at least! I'm thinking about using a reverse glide path - lower just before and in early retirement but upping equities later to be sure the money lasts.
thats how i did it , i reduced a few years earlier before retirement from 80-100% equity's to 38- 40% . eventually i will bring it up to 50%.

so far i am glad i did with this being my 2nd year in retirement .

Old 04-28-2016, 06:32 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,355,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
thats how i did it , i reduced a few years earlier before retirement from 80-100% equity's to 38- 40% . eventually i will bring it up to 50%.

so far i am glad i did with this being my 2nd year in retirement .
I think it'll be hard to force myself to do that after all these years really trying for the most returns and intentionally downplaying the inherent risk. Not sure if I can go all the way down to 40% though...I just went from essentially 100% to 70%...maybe down to 50% in a few more years.

How do you decide when to start ramping back up after being retired? This is a pretty new strategy with not a lot of details in the literature yet.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:57 AM

it is recommended you ramp up very slowly at 2% a year until you hit goal . you need to make sure you develop an upside cushion before risking a bigger downside fall

Old 05-03-2016, 05:00 PM

368 posts, read 365,117 times
I bet they're packing as we speak.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:07 PM

6,625 posts, read 7,334,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i would sooner use tax free life insurance if that was a goal then trying to use an annuity product .

you can still use a trust to control the outflow .
I was thinking of using cash from the estate to buy an annuity. The annuity would hand the money out monthly. No selling of the annuity.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:33 AM

1,500 posts, read 1,771,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
My personal view (not shared by many) is as we age the following risks become more pronounced than many models assume:

* risk of longevity
* cost of healthcare risk
* cost of assisted living risk
* cost of nursing home risk
* cost of Alzheimer's care risk

Put them altogether and there is risk of outliving our assets. This risk has always been there, of course, but my personal view (again, not shared by many) is these risks are higher than people generally model. But that's just me. I guess I need something to worry about.
Quite frankly I assume you better have an enough to live until your 105 (just to play it safe). It happens frequently, we are not only living until our 80's anymore. Also it's important to follow a healthy lifestyle to mitigate the high healthcare costs (including Alzheimer's and dementia care). There are numerous studies pointing to exercise and an overall healthful diet to help prevent and essentially save an individual millions of dollars from the treatment involved. Of course we aren't God so anything could happen but all we can do is the best with what we've got. Again this is my personal view and I don't expect everyone to share it.

Old 05-18-2016, 12:08 PM

761 posts, read 832,314 times
Fly, I just received my separation from work back in February, a month short of my 5 year anniversary there. Got a package that did not include med bennies. Age 62 and had intended to go out at the end of April anyway.

Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing