Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 07:55 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,958,934 times

Advertisements

Why do people choose to ignore the real fire in the forest? The national debt is ~19 trillion and climbing fast. Our economy is supported by debt issued by the Federal Reserve. An institution that has never forgiven significant debt.

48 million on food stamps and climbing...Congress is full of big spenders that are almost impossible to defeat. Same goes for the MIC (military industrial complex) and the global citizen surveillance gauntlet.

Is there anyone with real power interested in doing some real cost cutting? As in truly getting meaningful work done? Leaders who talk about conservative fiscal policy are jeered at and marginalized as backward "isolationists".

"Snowden" is due for release in September. People are concentrating on their opinions of Cage and Stone.

Is everyone in power ingesting petrochemicals/pharmaceuticals?

Last edited by ColoGuy; 05-05-2016 at 08:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 11:00 AM

17,974 posts, read 15,601,298 times
I think there's *always* some portion that can be ascribed to 'luck.' That's just the nature of life itself. Not everything can be controlled down to the millisecond or dollar, even in investing and taking risks, so I don't think Buffet himself would deny that. Timing, smarts, luck, recognizing opportunities, meeting the right people along the way, taking risks, making good moves, gaining control to affect one's luck in the positive direction... I think it's all part of what makes someone into a Billionaire.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:08 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,009,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Why do people choose to ignore the real fire in the forest? The national debt is ~19 trillion and climbing fast. Our economy is supported by debt issued by the Federal Reserve. An institution that has never forgiven significant debt.

48 million on food stamps and climbing...Congress is full of big spenders that are almost impossible to defeat. Same goes for the MIC (military industrial complex) and the global citizen surveillance gauntlet.

Is there anyone with real power interested in doing some real cost cutting? As in truly getting meaningful work done? Leaders who talk about conservative fiscal policy are jeered at and marginalized as backward "isolationists".

"Snowden" is due for release in September. People are concentrating on their opinions of Cage and Stone.

Is everyone in power ingesting petrochemicals/pharmaceuticals?
Because in the big picture the national debt isn't this giant issue a lot of people like to paint it as.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:35 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,299,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtheftV View Post
I didn't say he was not smart. I said he got some lucky breaks that pushed him to the top.
It's impossible to do that since you can't get linear data for ever year. All you can see it that over time, he did better. The outperformance isn't just a little here and a little there, he has to have had some really lucky buys in there.

During the start of the depression in 2008 he got a lot of sweetheart deals in exchange for lending money out and making investments.

In any case, he loves having a microphone in his face and that makes him not humble.
Yeah, well you are wrong and you are jealous. Your post makes zero sense on many levels. IF someone with the batting title, are they lucky? Doesn't matter. They STILL DIDI IT.

He's a humble man like most of us Midwesterners are....with amazing smarts. Yes, you can get linear data for every year. Maybe you just don't know how. Want me to show you? Sour grapes What kind of lucky breaks did he get? Was it that someone gave him his paper routes or businesses that he started as a young boy?

As far as having a microphone in his face, you hardly hear from he guy during most of the year. He's too busy playing bridge. Guess your portfolio isn't doing very well. I'm sorry. I'm sure it's Warren's fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing