Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 12:23 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,901,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
When I'm in danger of being called, I roll the options forward by buying them back and selling new ones with a longer duration. Once I've had to short against the box.
So how often does this happen? I would bet it would tend be around 50% of the time.

If you are in danger of being called, then you, presumably would sell for $ x ( original sale ), but have to buy back for $(x + y) where [y] is the gain in the value of the option. When you sell the longer duration call ( call this x' ), can you get enough to pay for $ (x + y)?

Sell x $100 ... +100
buy back x ..... -100
buy y 50 .......... -50
sell x' 150 ..... +150

It sounds like it would work, but again, I might be missing something. If it works, then you wouldn't even need to own the underlying stock. You would just keep doing this till a downturn makes the options expire worthless and you keep the cash. It sounds too good to be true.

The risk I see is that x' will have to be a longer duration from sale than the original x to cover [y]. ( I'm assuming that the strike price would be the same. ) The longer your duration becomes, the longer downturn will be required for you to finally close out.

Last edited by IDtheftV; 05-12-2016 at 12:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 01:02 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtheftV View Post
So how often does this happen? I would bet it would tend be around 50% of the time.

If you are in danger of being called, then you, presumably would sell for $ x ( original sale ), but have to buy back for $(x + y) where [y] is the gain in the value of the option. When you sell the longer duration call ( call this x' ), can you get enough to pay for $ (x + y)?

Sell x $100 ... +100
buy back x ..... -100
buy y 50 .......... -50
sell x' 150 ..... +150

It sounds like it would work, but again, I might be missing something. If it works, then you wouldn't even need to own the underlying stock. You would just keep doing this till a downturn makes the options expire worthless and you keep the cash. It sounds too good to be true.

The risk I see is that x' will have to be a longer duration from sale than the original x to cover [y]. ( I'm assuming that the strike price would be the same. ) The longer your duration becomes, the longer downturn will be required for you to finally close out.

Selling covered calls is a viable strategy and probably the one with the highest probability of being profitable. The problem with doing it especially with low basis stock is having to buy back the shorts if it moves against you. Also being short you can be assigned at anytime and I've seen this catch people off guard

Old 05-12-2016, 01:38 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,901,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Selling covered calls is a viable strategy and probably the one with the highest probability of being profitable. The problem with doing it especially with low basis stock is having to buy back the shorts if it moves against you. Also being short you can be assigned at anytime and I've seen this catch people off guard
Now I'm even more confused.

First, you mention low-basis stock. Why does your basis have any relevance to buying back the options other than if you decide to sell the stock ( to exercise the option ) then pretty-much 100% of the sale price is taxable.

Second, when you say "buy back the shorts" do you mean buy back put options?

Third, if we are talking about put options, wouldn't someone selling puts who owns the stock be selling naked puts? I am under the understanding that covered calls on the put-side requires you to be short.

Old 05-12-2016, 01:57 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtheftV View Post
Now I'm even more confused.

First, you mention low-basis stock. Why does your basis have any relevance to buying back the options other than if you decide to sell the stock ( to exercise the option ) then pretty-much 100% of the sale price is taxable.

Second, when you say "buy back the shorts" do you mean buy back put options?

Third, if we are talking about put options, wouldn't someone selling puts who owns the stock be selling naked puts? I am under the understanding that covered calls on the put-side requires you to be short.

He is selling covered calls so those are the shorts. His stock has low basis so getting the stock called away has high tax consequences
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing