Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 02:07 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times

Advertisements

odds are anyone thinking their gold will buy their way to freedom will likely just have it taken from them and be robbed or killed for it the first time they produce it .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 04:19 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,262,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicarjoe View Post
Gold and Silver are great hedges for the market going down. With many investors they are moving to gold and silver. With the fed printing money like its toilet paper and some countries going neg int. Gold and Silver are a great store of wealth. Most investors here will say the market this and that but most if not all of them were saying the market and economy is very stable in 2008. Its not stable and its not in good shape. We have a house of cards that the US Gov pays more in interest than any other bill it has. No one really wants our debt any more. The peto dollar is not as secure as it used to be and if it goes down it will make 2008 look like a small recession. Diversification is the best bet even in this house of cards, but having at least 10 to 20 percent in gold and silver if not just a good move its the smart move. Personally you need to be in Real estate, gold and silver, stocks and I mean own stocks or ETFs not mut funds, CDs.

Gold doesn't hedge against anything, and anyone relying on it is probably going to be disappointed.
Do some research on what Warren Buffett has to say about gold....then think about it some more.

Old 06-12-2016, 09:38 PM

643 posts, read 471,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Gold doesn't hedge against anything, and anyone relying on it is probably going to be disappointed.
Do some research on what Warren Buffett has to say about gold....then think about it some more.
So said all the wonks in 2008, no thank you on your the economy fundamentals are solid. Seems like I heard that in 2008. Not saying no stocks but to not back it up with a portion of your portfolio in gold and sliver is just stupid.

Old 06-13-2016, 05:20 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,901,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicarjoe View Post
So said all the wonks in 2008, no thank you on your the economy fundamentals are solid. Seems like I heard that in 2008. ... is just stupid.
Gold did better than stocks from 2007 to 2011 and it started recovering sooner, but during the time that stocks were going down at the same time, gold went down worse.

After 2011 gold was the opposite of protection.

I think you should have as much gold as you need to sleep. If that's 0% then it's 0%. That's not being stupid, it's just the way some people want to play it.

If you want 50% gold, that's not stupid either, but IMO one would be giving up a lot of upside betting that Armageddon is nigh ( and also betting the gold is going to help ).

I might have 5%, but I don't see it as a hedge, that's just the ratio between what I've got in the stock market and what I want to own. It isn't any different than the guy down the street with two trucks, a few motorcycles, snow mobiles, etc. Some people spend money on cruises. ( Well, it might be different. I'm assuming that guy doesn't own even one share of stock. )

I trade gold miners and I have gone from my current 5% or so to 50-60% when I'm bullish. I'm only right 55-60% of the time, but that's good enough. I also trade both ways. I think I'll probably be bullish in a year or three and gold will probably go way past where anyone thinks it's going to.

There's nobody in this forum ( who's not already a gold bug ) that thought gold was going to $2,000 ( almost ) in the YEAR 2000 or 2001 or 2002 ... I didn't, but I rode it as long as I could.

Old 06-14-2016, 01:45 AM

there are just no long time frames regardless of circumstances that happened that gold was not the losing choice .

you have some bumps in the road where gold popped for a few years but even then that did not do anything down the road for the holder over the longer term that wasn't exceeded by some other asset class .

it is strictly for quick specualation like any commodity .

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-14-2016 at 02:43 AM..

Old 06-14-2016, 02:11 AM

2,914 posts, read 2,688,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
When the US dollar collapses, bonds won't be worth the paper that they're printed on. Gold is really not an investment in the usual sense. It is a hedge against that inevitable collapse.

Gold buyers are labeled by some as kooks, conspiracy theorists, followers of G. Gordon Liddy or Ron Paul. We'll see who's right in the fullness of time.

Note: I recommend Kitco for gold purchases. They don't advertise on Fox.
Sounds like you've bought into all of the fear that has been sold to you by gold dealers.
BTW what is the timeline for this dollar collapse? In our lifetimes?

Old 06-14-2016, 02:42 AM

i started getting the gold bug letters back in the late 1980's who were predicting the same collapse was around the corner . had i kept my gold that would have been taking good money and just letting it go to waste when everything else did so much better

Old 06-14-2016, 07:15 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,179,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
Sounds like you've bought into all of the fear that has been sold to you by gold dealers.

BTW what is the timeline for this dollar collapse? In our lifetimes?
Your statement implies that the US Congress can keep on spending, borrowing and printing ad infinitum. The US used to be the world's largest creditor; now it's the world's largest debtor and our combined debt has already reached the stratosphere. There will come a day of reckoning, when exactly can't be predicted.

The easiest way for the corrupt US Congress to pay down the debt is to print money in ever increasing quantities. Taxing US citizens to pay for debt reduction is a no-no for the political class. You think Zimbabwe can't happen here? Wait and see.

Old 06-14-2016, 07:43 AM

betting this time is different has always been very costly words . i have been hearing about this collapse for more then 30 years now .

Old 06-14-2016, 07:50 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,167,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
When the US dollar collapses, bonds won't be worth the paper that they're printed on. Gold is really not an investment in the usual sense. It is a hedge against that inevitable collapse.

Gold buyers are labeled by some as kooks, conspiracy theorists, followers of G. Gordon Liddy or Ron Paul. We'll see who's right in the fullness of time.

Note: I recommend Kitco for gold purchases. They don't advertise on Fox.
and when this happens who will want gold in exchange for housing, food, etc.? Gold is a scarce resource that acted as a form of currency in stable societies. If our economy collapses people aren't going to want gold they are going to want food and shelter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing