Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2016, 10:19 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,545,565 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in hearing about what pre-IPO companies posters might be following, and would invest in now if they could.

SpaceX is at the top of my list. From everything I've read, they appear to be head and shoulders above the competition when it comes to innovating and driving costs down. I think they're on the cusp of enabling an entire economy of extraterrestrial industry: transportation, communications, mining, etc. It's a company that I would want to buy and pass on to our heirs.

Palantir is doing at lot of very interesting things with big data. They're secretive, but with clients ranging from the NSA to the CDC to big finance and bio firms, they're tackling some pretty big problems in some pretty interesting ways.

I think Uber is fascinating, but I'm not as confident in their ability to execute and fend off competitors. With autonomous vehicles on the horizon, it looks like they're as well-positioned as anyone to evolve from "ride-sharing" to mobility, transportation and even delivery services. However, it looks like it's going to be a pretty crowded field, as companies from the automotive, tech and even logistics industry might throw their hats into the ring.

What promising companies have caught your eye, and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 06:21 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,721,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
I'm interested in hearing about what pre-IPO companies posters might be following, and would invest in now if they could.

SpaceX is at the top of my list. From everything I've read, they appear to be head and shoulders above the competition when it comes to innovating and driving costs down. I think they're on the cusp of enabling an entire economy of extraterrestrial industry: transportation, communications, mining, etc. It's a company that I would want to buy and pass on to our heirs.

Palantir is doing at lot of very interesting things with big data. They're secretive, but with clients ranging from the NSA to the CDC to big finance and bio firms, they're tackling some pretty big problems in some pretty interesting ways.

I think Uber is fascinating, but I'm not as confident in their ability to execute and fend off competitors. With autonomous vehicles on the horizon, it looks like they're as well-positioned as anyone to evolve from "ride-sharing" to mobility, transportation and even delivery services. However, it looks like it's going to be a pretty crowded field, as companies from the automotive, tech and even logistics industry might throw their hats into the ring.

What promising companies have caught your eye, and why?
There's a reason Uber and the other overpriced gang haven't ipo'd yet

Old 06-18-2016, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
There's a reason Uber and the other overpriced gang haven't ipo'd yet
Uber has a lot more to prove. I think there are three critical factors at play that will impact their potential to expand beyond what they're doing today: network, business model and technology.

They're doing a pretty good job scaling their platform and growing their network.

While there are several adjacent services and products that I think they can expand into, I'm not convinced of their ability to execute growth beyond their current core offering.

Autonomous vehicles would allow them to really take off, giving them more control over their services (what, where, when and how) and potentially driving down costs. They've been exploring partnerships with Hyundai and Fiat, but neither of those companies are considered leaders in this space. With potential competitors further along (not to mention all the regulatory issues), there're too many unknowns at this point.

Old 06-18-2016, 03:02 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,555,945 times
These are all junk except Palantir.

They have at least a business model, revenue and probably profitability.

Old 06-19-2016, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
These are all junk except Palantir.

They have at least a business model, revenue and probably profitability.
I'm curious as to why you think SpaceX is junk. They have a business model, revenue and are likely extremely profitable already.

They're already crushing the competition on costs and are making real progress on their plans to reduce launch costs even more... to the point where their main competitor is laying off 300 to 500 employees and didn't even bid against SpaceX for the last Air Force contract ($83 million).

They also have a considerable list of both commercial and government launch contracts (http://www.spacex.com/missions) and are improving their launch frequency to fulfill them. On the technology development front, they're ahead of the competition for for NASA Commercial Crew Development program and are drastically increasing their cargo capability with Falcon Heavy.

Old 06-19-2016, 02:19 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,604,433 times
Stick with low cost index funds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing