Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 07:06 AM

16,129 posts, read 10,269,045 times

Advertisements

I found the same thing through my Schwab account, I could not purchase the mutual fund. But for some reason I can purchase the ETF, with no sales charge. Not sure I understand that but whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 07:49 PM

30,864 posts, read 36,783,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Very little difference in returns for admiral fund. I happened to invest in both. I'm not sure they hold identical stocks either but the daily fluctuations are not the same for both funds in terms of percentage. Some days VWIAX goes up more than VWINX and some days the opposite.
That shouldn't happen. They are two different share classes of the exact same fund. The only difference is the expense ratio. They reduce the expense ratio for balances of $50,000 or more. The only days where there would be a difference is whenever they distribute dividends. Since they take the expense ratio out of the dividends, VWIAX has a higher payout, which means the share price would go down slightly more on the days dividends are paid out. Over the course of a year, the difference in returns is the same as the difference in the expense ratio.

Old 08-06-2016, 03:10 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,674,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
That shouldn't happen. They are two different share classes of the exact same fund. The only difference is the expense ratio. They reduce the expense ratio for balances of $50,000 or more. The only days where there would be a difference is whenever they distribute dividends. Since they take the expense ratio out of the dividends, VWIAX has a higher payout, which means the share price would go down slightly more on the days dividends are paid out. Over the course of a year, the difference in returns is the same as the difference in the expense ratio.
In theory but I've been tracking them and some days one fund ant up higher than the other and then the opposite a few days later. Maybe rounding error. Why don't you track them for a while and see.

Old 08-06-2016, 03:43 PM

30,864 posts, read 36,783,047 times
Quote:
In theory but I've been tracking them and some days one fund ant up higher than the other and then the opposite a few days later. Maybe rounding error. Why don't you track them for a while and see.
Yes, it could be a rounding error. If you look over the course of a year, the difference is just the difference in the expense ratio.

Old 08-06-2016, 06:23 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,734,821 times
Quote:
Very little difference in returns for admiral fund. I happened to invest in both. I'm not sure they hold identical stocks either but the daily fluctuations are not the same for both funds in terms of percentage. Some days VWIAX goes up more than VWINX and some days the opposite.
That does not make sense - Vanguard automatically will upgrade VWINX to VWIAX once you have more than $50k invested. So they should not let you own any VWINX, it should have been upgraded to VWIAX.

If you own VWINX outside of Vanguard it will not be upgraded, and the reporting will be off by a day. Schwab etc has to wait to get the latest NAV from Vanguard. Vanguard may be reporting it the same day to their own customers.

Do you own VWINX some place other than Vanguard?

Another difference is they have different expense ratios and when they calculate the NAV for each share class, the expenses applied will be different, making performance look different.

Old 08-07-2016, 03:16 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,674,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
That does not make sense - Vanguard automatically will upgrade VWINX to VWIAX once you have more than $50k invested. So they should not let you own any VWINX, it should have been upgraded to VWIAX.

If you own VWINX outside of Vanguard it will not be upgraded, and the reporting will be off by a day. Schwab etc has to wait to get the latest NAV from Vanguard. Vanguard may be reporting it the same day to their own customers.

Do you own VWINX some place other than Vanguard?

Another difference is they have different expense ratios and when they calculate the NAV for each share class, the expenses applied will be different, making performance look different.
They dont automatically upgrade. You have to hit upgrade to do it. I have both at one time, so I know. I kept them separately because I wanted to track the price I purchased.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:46 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,734,821 times
Quote:
They dont automatically upgrade. You have to hit upgrade to do it. I have both at one time, so I know. I kept them separately because I wanted to track the price I purchased.
They upgraded my wife's retirement account automatically.

From the VWINX prospectus:
Quote:
Vanguard conducts periodic reviews of account balances and
may, if your account balance in the Fund exceeds $50,000, automatically convert your
Investor Shares to Admiral Shares.

Old 08-07-2016, 12:35 PM

26,156 posts, read 21,402,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
They upgraded my wife's retirement account automatically.

From the VWINX prospectus:

This is their normal process, what newbie is discribing is not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing