Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2016, 07:33 PM

169 posts, read 186,882 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to become more responsible with finances, read everything about retirement accounts recently, but I can't find advice on this particular question.

Based on what I've read, the goal should be 1. emergency fund, 2. standard tax-free retirement accounts, 3. riskier investing. I got the emergency fund down, now I'm on step 2.

What savings/retirement accounts should I start maxing out first as a sole proprietor if my goal is looking very long-term, and retirement by 60 with the most cash in the end (I'm 27, not married)?

Is it Solo 401k, then SEP IRA, then Simple IRA? And once these are maxed out completely eventually, start a diversified investment portfolio with things like (1) e.g. Vanguard's Index, (2) other Stocks, (3) Bonds, (4) Mutual Funds and only then whatever else is left? Trying to create a plan for myself for years moving forward.

Can I actually fund all of these first three accounts, and if not, which one would be best? Is there any conflict between them (only 1-2 can be contributed to)? And are there other retirement account options I'm missing that I should include/focus on instead?

Also, is it better to max out one first and then move onto the next one, or spread out my contributions into smaller ones across several from the get go?

Finally, are the limits for some of these first three accounts set only for the year (and it resets the next year), or is there a total limit for any of these accounts for sole proprietors when you can't put any more money in, ever?

Sorry for a boatload of questions. I found a lot of answers as to what these are, but I'm confused on the best Plan of Action, so to speak, so that's what I'm working on. Any advice is really appreciated! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 08:11 AM

581 posts, read 615,210 times
depending on your income level, I'd start with a Roth IRA (or traditional IRA backdoor'd into a roth), then a Solo 401k if you have one with good options. If both of those are maxed out then taxable brokerage account or maybe real estate...

Old 08-04-2016, 08:21 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingprop View Post
depending on your income level, I'd start with a Roth IRA (or traditional IRA backdoor'd into a roth), then a Solo 401k if you have one with good options. If both of those are maxed out then taxable brokerage account or maybe real estate...
I agree with making sure you max Roth contributions then whatever else you choose. At your age (27) you should have substantial balances by retirement age and you'll appreciate being able to take non-taxed Roth withdrawals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing