Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2016, 08:42 AM

7 posts, read 5,118 times

Advertisements

Lets assume I run a bank and my stock price has fallen from $100 to $85 dollars over the period of 1 month. As the bank CEO/CFO/Treasury, why does it matter what my company's stock price is, in the public markets? It's not like investors are directly pulling money out of the bank's equity when they sell their stock on the open markets so where is the harm?

The only thing I can see where trouble may lie for the bank is if they need to issue any other securities in the market. The market may not be as receptive to buying their securities. Hoping someone could chime some more light into this and potentially even explain a financial statement impact, if there even is one. Thanks!

__________________________________________________ __________
INVESTMENT BANKING RESUME PREP QUESTIONS -FIND THEM HERE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 08:51 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Because the owners care. Addiontally they might be paid partially on stock performance

Old 11-17-2016, 09:52 AM

1,870 posts, read 1,901,488 times
I would add to that - that the owners can replace management indirectly.

A company who's stock price languishes relative to what it "should" be can subject itself to takeovers by activists who can take over board seats and pressure management directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Addiontally they might be paid partially on stock performance
Right. Often, key employees own stock options. If they perceive that upper management doesn't care about the price, they might detach and go find work elsewhere. Losing the key employees directly affects operational performance.

There is also just a matter of egos. What is the CEO going to say at get-togethers with peers when his/her stock price is languishing whilst the other CEOs' stock prices are doing just fine?

Old 11-17-2016, 07:50 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,767,560 times
It affects the company's ability to raise capital. If the stock price is falling, investors think it is over-valued or doing something wrong. Credit rating agencies will give the company a lower credit rating, which means borrowing money will be more costly.

Old 11-18-2016, 03:46 AM

1,767 posts, read 1,742,766 times
Like LOW said- the senior execs that have the most stock options care- why do you think the senior leaders at Wells were whipping the low level employees so hard- to get the share price up. Whip the employees like an old nag in a Kentucky Derby race.

Also if a bank were on the prowl for any takeover the lower share price = lower currency in any stock transactions.

Old 11-18-2016, 08:53 AM

6,626 posts, read 7,342,677 times
I will vote with the who cares group. A change for one month is not anything I would pay attention too. It is the long term performance of the stock that matters to me.

The drop in price could also be due to conditions that they do not control.

Old 11-21-2016, 01:29 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
if their stock prices keeps on falling?
Devil is in the DETAILS...
keeps on falling?

Lots of trouble, to the point that NO ONE will want to; work at your company, buy your company, OR invest in it, OR do business with you... Good-bye, close the doors.

Not a great way to succeed in BUSINESS...But great for politicians!!! One of the GOP primary candidates ran our 66 yr old HIGHLY successful company nearly to the grave in 6 short yrs (Cut the Market Capitalization my more than 50%). Previously we LOANED CASH to the US Gov for them to meet payroll... After the 'raid'... not much value remains, little cash, and 300,000 lost engineering positions @ $100k each, and little to NO innovation / aspirations to sustain the company. RIP

Old 11-21-2016, 02:47 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,849,216 times
If all CEOs thought the same way as the OP's hypothetical CEO stock market investors would be doomed.

Old 11-22-2016, 01:04 AM

2,914 posts, read 2,688,085 times
With penny stocks, the people who start up these companies often don't care that much if the company succeeds or fails. They put themselves on high paid salary until the company fails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing