Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 09:13 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times

Advertisements

Plastics. There's a great future in plastics. Think about it. Will you think about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 09:24 AM

50,351 posts, read 63,928,555 times
If OP is youngish, and has all his ducks in a row, and this is truly $10k extra, assuming the other investments are conservative, I would give it to a reputable investment company and put it into higher risk, higher gain investments.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:42 PM

1,022 posts, read 738,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Taxable account

Seems a taxable account is the only option. I have a non-tax qualified account with LPL Financial, but can not pick my own stocks and not particularly happy with their performance.

I have one more question about how a taxable account is taxed; If I am fortunate enough to pick stocks that increase in value, will I pay tax on the increase even if I leave in the account ? or only if I withdraw it from the account ?

Thank you for all your replies

Old 01-10-2017, 01:47 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,996,996 times
Its Tax'ed in the year you "Sell" it. For Capital Gains.

If it put out a Dividend its tax in the year the Dividend is paid.

If its a Mutual Fund you can expect a Long Term, Short Term Capital Gain, and/or Dividend each Calendar year.

Old 01-10-2017, 05:10 PM

3,068 posts, read 2,396,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post
Seems a taxable account is the only option. I have a non-tax qualified account with LPL Financial, but can not pick my own stocks and not particularly happy with their performance.

I have one more question about how a taxable account is taxed; If I am fortunate enough to pick stocks that increase in value, will I pay tax on the increase even if I leave in the account ? or only if I withdraw it from the account ?

Thank you for all your replies
Some low-tax options: https://investor.vanguard.com/invest...ng-investments

Old 01-10-2017, 05:55 PM

3,068 posts, read 2,396,692 times
There's a lot of confusion here between assets, liabilities, investments, and expenses. A person shouldn't choose individual stocks without knowing exactly what these are, because these are the basics needed to understand a company's financial statements.

An asset is simply something of economic value. It doesn't necessarily generate income or appreciate in value. In fact, many assets depreciate over time because they wear out or become obsolete. Assets include not only stocks and bonds and savings accounts but real estate (regardless of whether you call it home), cars, and tools. An investment is an asset that is supposed to generate income or grow in value.

A liability is a debt, like a mortgage, credit card balance, or student loan.

A list of assets and liabilities is called a balance sheet. A balance sheet lists the values as of the last day of a certain period (usually a year). The difference between assets and liabilities is equity, or net worth for an individual or household.

An expense is money spent. If your mortgage is $100,000 and you pay $1,000 per month on principal and interest, your mortgage expense is $12,000 per year. A list of income and expenses is called an income statement, and it covers all your expenses over a period of time (usually a calendar year). The difference between income and expenses is called net income.

To take the example of a house, the house is an asset, the mortgage (if any) is the liability, rent (if any) is income, and repairs, maintenance, taxes and insurance are expenses. The value of the house and amount outstanding on the mortgage as of December 31 go on a balance sheet; the rent and expenses over the course of the whole year go on the income statement.

It's useful to mentally separate assets and liabilities from income and expenses. An income statement shows you where the money's going, and especially if you're spending more than you're taking in or if expenses are getting out of control. A balance sheet shows you, from year to year, how your net worth is doing. It helps answer questions like, is overall debt being paid down, or just kicked down the road? When might you retire? Can you afford an emergency? Are you making progress towards other financial goals or drifting along? What options do you have if your income is reduced or goes away?

Last edited by sheerbliss; 01-10-2017 at 06:10 PM..

Old 01-10-2017, 08:16 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,477,771 times
Quote:

It's taxed when you sell that stock or sell that ETF or sell that mutual fund. But you don't withdraw the money. Typically you sell and the money moves from the stock into your cash/mutual fund holding account. Although you can withdraw if you choose - but it's the sale the is the taxable event.

Other taxable events are interest and dividends. For the dividends, you can choose whether to reinvest them in same stock or same fund or you can choose for them to be paid into your cash/money market account.

There are things you can do to make the tax owed smaller. Dividends pay a lower rate (in your 1040) so you might find high dividend investments to try to keep your taxes down. If you hold a stock long term (over 12 months), then you are taxed a lower rate than if you hold the same stock for under 12 months before selling it.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:36 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,861,555 times
Vegas, baby. Vegas. Always split Aces & Eights, and double down on 11 unless the dealer is showing an Ace.

OK, what I actually meant to say is just invest in VTI at Vanguard or SCHB at Schwab or equivalent at Fidelity.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:46 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,753,835 times
I never understand why you want to split Eights but I don't play black jack anymore.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:45 AM

18,047 posts, read 15,649,855 times
Quote:
After maxing out a 401k and a roth with approximately 10k a year left to invest in stocks, what type account would be next on the list ? (Probably need more info. , but don't know what to add.)
One thing to check, if you haven't already done so, is see if your 401K plan allows you to make "after tax contributions" to your 401K. If yes, that's an option to consider. The IRS allows up to $53K/year total (including employer contributions) into the 401K. Depending on things like the funds you have to choose from, if they are good funds with low expenses, it can be a nice way to really boost your 401K over time.

<insert standard disclaimer that there are other options on what to do with monies to invest and this is only one option and is not intended to claim it's the only option to consider>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing