Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 05:34 AM

451 posts, read 236,015 times

Advertisements

OP....instead of asking specifically where to put your money...I think you should first focus on specific strategies for investing. While I agree that the VAnguard Wellesley Income Fund is a good fund...it would NOT be appropriate in a taxable account....especially for a single person in a 37% tax bracket.

I would ask these questions:

1) Are you maxing out your 401K (403b) plan at work?

2) After this are you maxing out annual contributions to an IRA?

My point is that in your high tax bracket....your goal should be to shelter as much income as possible from additional taxes while saving for retirement.

After completing steps 1 @ 2 above ,perhaps a better choice might be to dollar cost average into the Vanguard TAx Managed Balanced Fund which has 50% muni bonds and 50% stocks. Dividend Income from the munis will be tax free....appropriate for someone in your tax bracket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 11:10 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,785,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisetheworld View Post
While I agree that the VAnguard Wellesley Income Fund is a good fund...it would NOT be appropriate in a taxable account....especially for a single person in a 37% tax bracket.
I thought this is taxed at long term capital gains rate of 15%. What am I missing here? Surely you don't pay ordinary income tax on the gains in a brokerage account?

Old 02-03-2017, 12:24 PM

451 posts, read 236,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I thought this is taxed at long term capital gains rate of 15%. What am I missing here? Surely you don't pay ordinary income tax on the gains in a brokerage account?

I think you are a little confused. You pay a LTCG rate ( usually 15% unless you are in the top tax bracket of 39.6%) only when you actually sell an asset that you have owned longer than one year.

You pay income on any dividends and capital gain distributions on a mutual fund while you own it. This is usually at a reduced rate depending on how much of the dividend is a "qualified dividend."

I think some muni bonds would be appropriate for you as you are in a high tax bracket and the dividends on the munis would be free from federal tax ( also state income tax if the bonds are from the state where you reside). Just be sure not to buy bonds ( or a bond fund) with a duration longer than 10 years as any increase in interest rates will depress the value of the bond or bond fund.

Old 02-03-2017, 12:28 PM

3,152 posts, read 2,731,166 times
Investing in an index fund while keeping some cash to offset the risk is the only game in town if you're not into buying a house. You can vary the mix from 100% stocks/zero cash to zero stocks/100% cash.

It's simple and effective.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:37 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisetheworld View Post
After completing steps 1 @ 2 above ,perhaps a better choice might be to dollar cost average into the Vanguard TAx Managed Balanced Fund which has 50% muni bonds and 50% stocks. Dividend Income from the munis will be tax free....appropriate for someone in your tax bracket.
This is also a very good choice (especially from a tax-efficiency standpoint), and a very conservative investment which you could safely hold forever. But don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good, OP! It's better to pay some tax on earnings while seeing the value of your investment grow rather than pay no taxes because your money is languishing in a savings account not growing at all (which is the situation you are in right now). Talk to some advisors at Vanguard and Fidelity, read the Boglehead wiki I gave you the link to, learn a bit about investing, and then put your money to work! The long-term growth difference between investing in Vanguard Wellesley Income versus Vanguard Tax Managed Balanced Fund pales in comparison to the difference between investing in either fund versus keeping your money in a savings account.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:41 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
Why dollar cost average into the fund? Why not invest it all at once? Odds are you will just increase the purchase price doing it over time. If you think the market might fall why purchase now and instead wait?

Old 02-03-2017, 01:45 PM

106,648 posts, read 108,790,719 times
yep , unless you have the skills of a good market timer markets are up 2/3's of the time and down only 1 .

if dollar cost averaging really was the secret to better gains we would all be selling everything once we hit our allocation and starting over again from zero

Old 02-03-2017, 01:45 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
It generates dividends and sometimes short term capital gains which would be taxed at ordinary income tax rates.

There is another fund that might be worth looking at: Vanguard Tax Managed Balanced. It isn't as good, in my opinion. It owns municipal bonds, which generally taxed at the federal level, and if owns CA bonds, it wouldn't be taxed at the state level. It is a more tax efficient fund, but it has lower long term returns and is more volatile. Part of the lower long term returns is because municipal bonds generally pay lower interest rates due to their tax exempt status.

Personally, I say buy Wellesley Income and just pay the tax.

I would also agree that maxing out your 401k is a must, unless you have some strange circumstance we don't know about.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:47 PM

106,648 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Psssssssst ! wellesley

Old 02-03-2017, 03:40 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,785,978 times
under what circumstances would a mutual fund generate a short term capital gain that is distributed by the fund? Does this distribution affect it's NAV and if so how?

Another question - since the LTCG rate can be as low as 0 if you are in the 15% or lower tax rate and technically you can wait until retirement to sell these funds and essentially pay zero tax. Am I right? Assuming of course that tax laws stay the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing