Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 12:06 PM

3,070 posts, read 1,993,638 times

Advertisements

Can someone recommend a good book, blog, website, etc for learning basics on how the stock market works & investments, in general, for a newbie? I don't care if the reading is dry & encyclopedic... I just want to learn. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 12:14 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,976,389 times
Happy to!

Books:

A Random Walk Down Wall Street by Burton G. Malkiel
The Intelligent Investor by Benjamen Graham
The Four Pillars of Investing by William Bernstein
The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing by Taylor Larimore and Mel Lindauer

Websites:

The Bogleheads Forum (https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/index.php) and the Bogleheads' wiki (https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page)
The Finance Buff (https://thefinancebuff.com/)
The Oblivious Investor (Oblivious Investor)
A Wealth of Common Sense (http://awealthofcommonsense.com/)

That's enough to get you started!

Old 02-09-2017, 12:40 PM

3,070 posts, read 1,993,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Happy to!... That's enough to get you started!
Excellent! Thank you so much. That's more than I expected & much appreciated, Aredhel!

Old 02-09-2017, 01:36 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,928,524 times
I've never read a book about investing before and I've been very successful for a long time.

Best way to learn is to just do it, you can open a play account if you want. Use google as your teacher. Let's say you open your fake account and now you begin your journey, google "what are the mutual funds for retirement, what are the best dividend stocks for 2017, etc" Take everything you read with a grain of salt, the purpose of doing this is that you will learn along the way. You can also google more technical stuff like, "how do I place a limit order" etc

Old 02-09-2017, 02:56 PM

919 posts, read 847,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Happy to!

Books:

A Random Walk Down Wall Street by Burton G. Malkiel
The Intelligent Investor by Benjamen Graham
The Four Pillars of Investing by William Bernstein
The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing by Taylor Larimore and Mel Lindauer

Websites:

The Bogleheads Forum (https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/index.php) and the Bogleheads' wiki (https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page)
The Finance Buff (https://thefinancebuff.com/)
The Oblivious Investor (Oblivious Investor)
A Wealth of Common Sense (http://awealthofcommonsense.com/)

That's enough to get you started!
These are great books! Especially Graham's book, excellent advice in chapters 8 and 20 (per Buffett) even though with now badly outdated examples (but that does not detract from the book's overall quality.)

If you want to learn about different types of investments etc, the "Investing For Dummies" is not a bad start. Simple and sensible. (I hope you don't think there is some kind of stigma about reading "Dummies" books.)

Old 02-09-2017, 03:01 PM

919 posts, read 847,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I've never read a book about investing before and I've been very successful for a long time.

Best way to learn is to just do it, you can open a play account if you want. Use google as your teacher. Let's say you open your fake account and now you begin your journey, google "what are the mutual funds for retirement, what are the best dividend stocks for 2017, etc" Take everything you read with a grain of salt, the purpose of doing this is that you will learn along the way. You can also google more technical stuff like, "how do I place a limit order" etc
I disagree strongly. You just won't know basic "good stuff" like why (ceteris paribus) bonds are better in tax-sheltered accounts vs stocks in taxable; or how ETFs beat mutual funds on tax efficiency; or why huge dividend yields are bad, not good; etc etc. Google is extremely inadequate and noisy for that kind of education - you need a good book if you are a beginner.

Old 02-09-2017, 03:14 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,976,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfa-ish View Post
If you want to learn about different types of investments etc, the "Investing For Dummies" is not a bad start. Simple and sensible. (I hope you don't think there is some kind of stigma about reading "Dummies" books.)
It's even better when used in conjunction with "Personal Finance for Dummies." And only REAL dummies think those two books are only for dummies!

Old 02-09-2017, 03:27 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,928,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfa-ish View Post
I disagree strongly. You just won't know basic "good stuff" like why (ceteris paribus) bonds are better in tax-sheltered accounts vs stocks in taxable; or how ETFs beat mutual funds on tax efficiency; or why huge dividend yields are bad, not good; etc etc. Google is extremely inadequate and noisy for that kind of education - you need a good book if you are a beginner.
You will come across all of that on your own, depending on what you kind of investments you want to make. There is no reason to read a large book when maybe only 5% applies to you. I learned all those things you mentioned on my own from google when the time came. I even learned how to trade options through google. Most books are written by billionaires and read by people investing $10,000. There is a big disconnect between the two.

Old 02-09-2017, 04:06 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,763,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
You will come across all of that on your own, depending on what you kind of investments you want to make. There is no reason to read a large book when maybe only 5% applies to you. I learned all those things you mentioned on my own from google when the time came. I even learned how to trade options through google. Most books are written by billionaires and read by people investing $10,000. There is a big disconnect between the two.
I totally agree with cfa-ish. Random Walk Down Wall Street and Four Pillars of Investing are not so much "how to" books as basic information to get you going. Another rather basic book is Stocks for the Long Run by Jeremy Siegel.

Half the problem with learning anything new, and especially investing, is not knowing what are the right questions to ask. Once you know, then as you said, you can Google it or whatever.

There is a lot of disinformation out there and a lot of biased opinions on what one should do. This is true here and on about any Internet investing forum. You see some screwy stuff being said. I think reading a couple of books will help any new investor navigate the barrage of information out there.

Old 02-09-2017, 04:19 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,773,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Can someone recommend a good book, blog, website, etc for learning basics on how the stock market works & investments, in general, for a newbie? I don't care if the reading is dry & encyclopedic... I just want to learn. Thank you.
I have read many. I recommend:

1. "A Fool and his money" by John Rothchild

2. "Reminiscences of a stock operator" by Edwin Leferve

Whatever you decide, at least read "A fool and his money"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing